Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationRepackboxLoad DataWideners
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Uses for messed up wood ??

Uses for messed up wood ??

So I'm allowed to cull ( remove it from the main stock and prep it to be resold as damaged at a marked down price )bad wood here with my new position in the lumber department. I've been going through about every bunk of wood and culling anything that doesn't look like something I'd buy or I'm 90% sure a customer wouldn't pay full price for.
    Most of the time the customers will just chunk bad wood all over the place during the day and it just makes a big mess not to mention there's people asking for discounts on messed up boards all day long so it make life easier to just get rid of it now. After I build the packs their usually marked down to 50% of what the original price would be. The short stuff seems to go pretty quick ,longer boards stay long though.
    I dont get a kick back or anything from it I just like getting this crap out of my department

Here's one pile I'm about to make I to a pack so real beauties in this lol. What would y'all do with something like these ? Other the fire wood that is lol.

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Wolfdog91; 05-10-2022 at 06:32 AM.
    A wise man will try to learn as much from a fool as he will from a master, for all have something to teach- Uncle Iroh
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Boolit Master
    Close to da Creaux,Hang'n out in Swamp's and Bayou's
    Yep, There's still squirrels running around in some of that stuff, Sell it.

Wolf, at the current prices of lumber I would make that work for construction projects. Framing for sheds or outbuildings. If you have a planer you probably could turn it into something else.

Boolit Buddy
    My local place paints it all with a line to make it clear it is jacked up and then sells it at x% off. That is what I would do to get it moved. Let the buyer figure out what to do with it.

Just last night I was looking at the culled wood at my local place. Sometimes I only need a section of a 2x4 so don't care if there is a big knot in the other end if the price is right. Lots of uses for the cut down sections if one has projects going on. ie; building a base for a new to me Star reloader, need a couple sections of 2x4's for the risers, 6-9in long. No reason to buy a full length board just for that.

Boolit Buddy
    Put a premium price on it, call it Rustic Design or some other cute name, say its manufactured in an exclusive process, heck someone will but it just for the bragging rights.

Quote Originally Posted by david s View Post
    Put a premium price on it, call it Rustic Design or some other cute name, say its manufactured in an exclusive process, heck someone will but it just for the bragging rights.
    O you mean live edge boards yeah we have that too lol

A wise man will try to learn as much from a fool as he will from a master, for all have something to teach- Uncle Iroh
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Those, in the first post, would come in real handy at the 2x4 shoots we have. We cut them down to two feet and place them in a stand. Two shooters will attempt to cut them in half. They don't have to be pretty.

They could also be used to make target stands. Here again, they don't have to be pretty and will definitely get shot up.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

First comes time, then learning to use tools, then patience.

It's a confusing photo, Rolling clamp rack built on a yard sale cart, weight rack, and lumber rack in the back ground. All build from scrap wood (and the weight rack shows it), construction dumpsters, and salvaged crates.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20220510_070127196_2.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	65.0 KB 
ID:	300027

Restored 4" jointer on scrap wood and salvage flooring deck. The 2X4s that make the frame under the plywood are much crappier than what you're selling. They only have to be true on 2 sides, then a 60 grit belt on a sander to "fine tune".

Name:	IMG_20220510_070235560_2.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	38.2 KB 
ID:	300028

Old cabinet with scrap wood racks ... and a fine assortment of truing tools. All those dividers cut from warped & twisted dunnage.

Name:	IMG_20220201_200007921_2.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	31.9 KB 
ID:	300029

Shave horse, salvaged beams

Name:	IMG_20220510_070212791_2.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	55.2 KB 
ID:	300030

Wood cost on all of this is pretty much just sweat equity. My friends call my shop OPG- Other Peoples Garbage. Putty and paint, makes it look like what it ain't.
    Last edited by beezapilot; 05-10-2022 at 07:46 AM.
    The essence of education is self reliance- T.H. White.

Currently seeking wood carving tools, wood planes, froes, scorps, spokeshaves... etc....

Boolit Master

Tomato stakes
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Master
    there are two local sawmills near me that I have experience with. the smaller one makes giant piles of culls and they are free for anyone who comes to get them..
    one neighbor that. I know has made all sorts of stuff out of the culls including goat barns and dog houses.
    the second is a much larger mill and they sell bundles of board 5' wide x 5' tall 8-16' long for $150. you can get either oak or poplar.

Moderator Emeritus

Make a chicken coop from em. Ridiculous what it is costing me and I am using all my scraps, etc. I "might" be going overboard with two solar panels on the roof, dual tires all the way around (to roll around the yard), automatic door with remotes, storage compartments, heating compartment, solar lights, and a few other things. It's not my fault....

Quote Originally Posted by MrWolf View Post
    Make a chicken coop from em. Ridiculous what it is costing me and I am using all my scraps, etc. I "might" be going overboard with two solar panels on the roof, dual tires all the way around (to roll around the yard), automatic door with remotes, storage compartments, heating compartment, solar lights, and a few other things. It's not my fault....
    Wheels ? You making a coop or a tractor? Really need to get to building a new chicken tractor...

MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Boolit Master

OK. What`s a chicken tractor?

Boolit Master

Around here contractors build houses out of such. I don't, but they do.
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by dale2242 View Post
    OK. What`s a chicken tractor?
    Basically its a mobile self contained chicken run and coop deal. Really really nice if you don't wanna have a big run and coop set up. Only deal is you gotta move them daily but only a few feet forward or back so there on new grass. Absolutely loved mine . Built it out of steel though so was a little heavy but let me raise 4 chickens on the side of my house on a strip of yard maybe 20' wide and 30yd long moving it daily kept it from having any bare spots ,no smells and the grass was green as can be do to the poop. Was also cool because if I had a pice I wanted a garden or had weeds or something I could just move it over the plot and leave them there for 4 or 5 days and it would be bare and ready for whatever. Lotta my neighbors hated it though because it wasn't the " right way" . They would always try and tell me how I needed a big fenced in run with a huge coop and all but egh. Never had a problem with predators ,chickens getting out , chicken crap smells fly's ect.Not to ment my girls got fresh grass and bugs on the daily ! I swear some of the best tasting eggs ever !
    Here's a few pics off Google till I find some of mine

MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Boolit Master

Since you report that shorter such boards sell quickly, try cutting some of these longer ones down to see if the 'short buyers' bite on 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by Nueces View Post
    Since you report that shorter such boards sell quickly, try cutting some of these longer ones down to see if the 'short buyers' bite on 'em.
    Can't do that unfortunately, against store policy. Now if they bought a 2x4x16 and asked for it to be cut down that would be different....gotta love big box stores lol
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Quote Originally Posted by beezapilot View Post
    First comes time, then learning to use tools, then patience.

It's a confusing photo, Rolling clamp rack built on a yard sale cart, weight rack, and lumber rack in the back ground. All build from scrap wood (and the weight rack shows it), construction dumpsters, and salvaged crates.

Name:	IMG_20220510_070127196_2.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	65.0 KB 
ID:	300027

Restored 4" jointer on scrap wood and salvage flooring deck. The 2X4s that make the frame under the plywood are much crappier than what you're selling. They only have to be true on 2 sides, then a 60 grit belt on a sander to "fine tune".

Name:	IMG_20220510_070235560_2.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	38.2 KB 
ID:	300028

Old cabinet with scrap wood racks ... and a fine assortment of truing tools. All those dividers cut from warped & twisted dunnage.

Name:	IMG_20220201_200007921_2.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	31.9 KB 
ID:	300029

Shave horse, salvaged beams

Name:	IMG_20220510_070212791_2.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	55.2 KB 
ID:	300030

Wood cost on all of this is pretty much just sweat equity. My friends call my shop OPG- Other Peoples Garbage. Putty and paint, makes it look like what it ain't.
    Absolutely beautiful work ! I do the same type of stuff with scrap metal and drops, could never get wood lol
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

I've seen some really beautiful furniture such as coffee tables made from boards that still had some of the bark on them. Surfaced with resin or heavy coats of clear lacquer.

DG

Boolit Master
    As my old daddy used to say "in the old days they would use that stuff to fire the boiler in the sawmill".
    Old retired guy in Baton Rouge La.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast