MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
WidenersLee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackbox
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading

Thread: 30-30 woes ???

Boolit Buddy

30-30 woes ???

I have a 67 94 Candian Centennial rifle (26"), using a PC'd, 158gn. (Ordered from supplier), and a Lyman 311466, (coated & lubed). Used IMR-3031@ 22.5 w/ 158gn. OAL 2.552
    Used IMR-4198@18gn. w/158gn.OAL2.510
    Used IMR-4198 @18gn. w/158gn. OAL2.530 -----------------NONE, of these could find 3" bull @ 50yds !!!!!
    All shot's "LOW LEFT", were talk'n 8-10" low & 5-6" left, but not as a groupe.

Got up early, drove to range, fired 1 factory 150gn., Bulls Eye (well the barrels not bent), then fired 1 rd. 158gn w/ 18gn. IMR-4198 (shooting West), (it should be about New Mexico by now), hit low left corner of target, (maybe the targets don't like coated bullets???) Ya' think i need to up the charges? Chrono showed 1750's

hav'n coffee, Hootmix.

Boolit diameter?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Buddy
    OOpS, .309 dia.

more coffee, Hootmix.

Try .311. I bet it will do better.

Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Gas check boolits? If not you are pushing them too hard. 1500 fps or less.

Boolit Buddy
    Hey Thum, just loaded a couple @ .311 w/ both Imr-3031 & IMR- 4198, and yes sir they are GC'd., we'll see, thank you for holler'n.

coffee's ready, Hootmix.

Uh, I’m no expert on the 30-30. But I’ve found good success with full charges of 3031. My ‘70 made 94 does well with 26-28 grains 3031 and the 31141, checked and lubed and sized .310. I’d say start running full speed and see what happens.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm with Bazoo. My 30-30s do well with about 27 grains of 3031. I'm shooting the Lee 150 and 170 boolits with gas checks.

Boolit Buddy
    I have 3-4 .308 molds (30-40 &.303 brit), problem seems to be if, the "nose" of the bullets are bigger than .302 they hit the Landes, and i have to seat them deeper to get a good fit, so the bolt closes smoothly. I know it will all fall in place , when i (we) find the right combo. Baz, i like 3031, use it in my 40-60 win., with a pinch of Dacron filler, i get good groupes @ 50yds.

coffee time, Hootmix

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    You can get a good load in just about anything with 3031 and good bullet fit.
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Southgate View Post
    You can get a good load in just about anything with 3031 and good bullet fit.
    Yes, I remember 3031 fondly.....

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

But how were the groups?

Finding a good load is not the same as finding one that shoots to the same POI as another; and finding both in one is, yet, another challenge.

Some rifles are a friend jn such a challenge, and some an inquisitioner.
    The first purpose of the Second Amendment is too often overlooked, fostering a liberty of mind and action necessary in the people of a free republic.

“Ironically, the only gun control in 19th century England was the policy forbidding police to have arms while on duty.”
    ~ Don B. Kates, Jr.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm one of those people's that likes to know stuff, so i looked up SAMMI drawings for the Win. 30-30. Un beknown to me, the 30-30 has a 15* slope at the end of the chamber, from .333 down to.300 bore & groove @ .308 dia. That is why my fat nose bullets gave me problems, and i had to keep seating them deeper. A 150gn. (158gn.) bullet should be traveling about 2000-2205fps, so Baz may be right, i need to up my load of 3031, maybe tomorrow if all goes well.

coffee time, Hootmix.

Leverguns, due to the barrel bands and dovetails, rarely shoot different velocity loads to the same POI.

Boolit Master

I still didn't see if this was a GC or not? My flat nose run great in my leverguns..

Moderator Emeritus

How does it shoot with a box of factory?
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    Cast boolits always shoot to a different point of impact than jacketed. That's normal.

Often, the reduced cast loads will print quite a bit lower. That's expected. Focus on tuning the load adjustments to tighten up the groups, and then adjust your sights as needed.

My cast 30-30 loads hit the same spot as factory. The 748 load I have, hits nearly exactly the same and groups are similar in size, around 1.5” at 70yards for 3 shots. The 3031 load I have shoots similarly but not as tight but I don’t remember now except that 28 grains shoots to the same sight setting and 27 was lower and needed a notch more elevation. Both were similar in group size but it’s been so long I can’t remember and I just plink with it. I can hit a coke can at 75 yards, so I never tried to improve my load farther and subsequently got sidetracked with other shooting and loading.

Boolit Buddy
    Yup, back, MT see post #6, they are GC'd, & shoot to point of aim w/ 170gn. factory ammo. Been tied up w/ "need to get done stuff".
    Landy88, a "Groupe", if i remember correctly there were 2rds.out of the 5rds. that were on the same side of the target. Thank everyone for the questions & advise, I'll be back when i get this other stuff done.

coffee's ready, Hootmix