WidenersLoad DataRepackboxLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2

Thread: Anyone run a muzzleloader like this ?

Anyone run a muzzleloader like this ?

Was looking into paper patching cast bullets and came across this article which I though was really cool
    http://namlhunt.com/ml-paperpatch.html

Was curious,anyone happen to run a muzzleloader set up like this ?

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW using Tapatalk
    A wise man will try to learn as much from a fool as he will from a master, for all have something to teach- Uncle Iroh
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Boolit Buddy
    That looks pretty cool, but all my rifles are slow twist for round ball. The competitive shooting I do won't allow anything other than open iron sights and muzzleloader hunting here won't allow a scope.

Boolit Grand Master

Idahoron has been using paper patched bullets in muzzleloaders to great effect for many years. There aren't a ton of people using paper patch, but you are likely to find it more common in the western USA. The reason is a number of states have odd regulations that stipulate no sabot, while for some unwritten reason allowing cloth and paper sabot's. What they really mean is no plastic.

Paper patch is great for accuracy, and with an added bonus they load super easy. No tight fit required or desired.

Yes, my Parker Hale Volunteer runs on paper patched bullets. Works great!

Boolit Master
    now that target rely has BRAGGING RIGHTS!!!

Boolit Master
    the scope is almost as long as the gun! what power / magnification is it? and who made it? toot.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by toot View Post
    the scope is almost as long as the gun! what power / magnification is it? and who made it? toot.
    It probably isn't that much. They are a replica of a 1800's scope, although I forget the brand name that makes them. They still exist as far as I know. I'm fairly sure the original reason they were so long was because they could not shape the lenses for a short scope and still get good clarity. Today it's just for looks. The scopes themselves are nothing but telescopes, and they have no adjustments. They are sighted by adjusting the scope mount. I've never tried one, but I don't like the idea of a scope ending flush with the muzzle. It seems to me it would get in the way a lot, as well as I'm sure soot will coat the end quickly. It might be ok for just sighting in, and it would be no issue for hunting.

Boolit Grand Master

No but I have used an old underhammer 16 pound bench rifle with old tang sights and I shoot a gibbs rifle with paper patched slugs.

Boolit Grand Master
    I do believe that manner of scope is called a "Malcolm" scope - or something close to that. I don't know if it refers to the brand or style.

Boolit Master
    I have had a couple of good round ball barrels I woulda liked to scope and shoot off a bench just to see how good they would shoot - still thinking of playing that way but with a modern scope (got several in the closet) - that long scope would come to grief in my hands I reckon - would interfere with my loading !

Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    I have had a couple of good round ball barrels I woulda liked to scope and shoot off a bench just to see how good they would shoot - still thinking of playing that way but with a modern scope (got several in the closet) - that long scope would come to grief in my hands I reckon - would interfere with my loading !
    Shorter scopes did exist in the 1860s..... These Whitworth rifles with side-mounted Davidson scopes were used by American Confederate snipers -

Last edited by ofitg; 05-10-2022 at 09:58 PM.
    "Commerce with all nations, alliance with none, should be our motto."

- Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Buddy
    The scope is a repro made by hi-lux scope company. The long tube model like that one is 6x. Would not be hard to mount on any long rifle. I have one on my Pedersoli sharps but would love to mount one on my Traditions Kentucky rifle. There really fun and the yardage adjustment on them works great and fun when you get some range to stretch one out.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

Boolit Mold
    Montana Vintage Arms in Belgrade Montana has their own line of scopes check out their website.

Boolit Master
    I wish I could justify buying one of those for my Lyman.

PS to the OP. That group is not easy to get. I worked for quite a while to come up with a load that would get me 2" at 100yd.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    I wish I could justify buying one of those for my Lyman.
    As we get older we can justify all sorts of things to allow us to keep having fun shooting!

Boolit Master
    The problem is I shoot my bolt guns more, so they have the good scopes

The rifles or else drop-in barrels fitted with the scopes were being sold as a package years ago but I don't recall by what outfit.
    Was it Green Mountain?

"We got something in this territory called the Missourah boat ride."