Load DataInline FabricationWidenersTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2RepackboxReloading Everything
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can leading from cast bullets be permanent or extremely difficult to completely remov

Boolit Master
    The Lewis Lead Remover or copper wool Chore Boy method are effective methods and the addition of some penetrating oil is a good improvement over doing it dry. I did happen on a better option and no longer go that route. At some point in my bullseye pursuits I took note of what the BP cartridge rifle shooters were doing to compensate for boolit designs that had marginal lube capacity for the long barrels they were shooting them out of. Leading and hard BP fouling were a problem for some. They dealt with this by seating the boolit on a card wad and a lube cookie so everything was in a snug column in the case. Powder gasses pushing the card wad and forcing lube out against the barrel wall as the boolit was going up the bore, thus anointing the bore with a film of lube that kept the fouling soft for the next shot. I tried that in various (smokeless) pistol and rifle calibers, reducing the load appropriately to compensate for reduced volume in the case and the result was pleasantly mild ammo, a generous lube star on the muzzle and leading disappeared. Thereafter, I kept a box of "cleaning rounds" on hand for after the matches. After 5 or 6 of those, all that was left in the bore was boolit lube. All I needed to get a clean barrel was a couple patches and a squirt of solvent. It took all the "sweat equity" out of cleaning and was much more pleasant.

Boolit Master

I use bronze wool on a tight patch. Its more aggressive than copper wool but still won't hurt the barrel. You can see chunks of lead sticking to it when you take it out of the barrel if your leading is bad.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Dan, cases available
    for sale …. https://www.rccbrass.com/product/257-weatherby-magnum/
    Regards
    John

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapier View Post
    I get over a hundred barrels a year in to clean. You can make yourself a Foul Out for pennies. They take lead and copper out to bare steel, just oil after and done.
    I have a home made Foul Out in my “cleaning” drawer in my shop, right now, it lives there. When I started this process, it was a Nickel Foul Out, now it is near a dollar.
    The Foul Out setups do work nicely. May take a while but no real labor involved. What are you using for solutions, as they have been discontinued by Outers.

45_Colt

Boolit Buddy
    I bought an original Foul Out in 1995. I think there was a Foul Out 3, which used different cleaning solutions (and cost more). In 2005 I bought a gallon of lead acetate for my Foul Out and have barely used any. I'd be interested in learning what people are using with their electroplating units as I will eventually need to replenish the Cop Out solution (copper acetate). I suppose I could just google it but I enjoy hearing from actual cast boolit shooters. These units work quite well and I don't like wanging on a cleaning rod when its not necessary.

Boolit Master

Some chore boy and a old bush. A little elbow grease and time to think about proper sizing.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    Another way to remove the leading, is to shoot some low velocity bullets.
    Never thought of that.

What I've done was just slug the bore from the muzzle end. I couldn't feel anything but there were slivers of lead on the base of the boolit (which in this case would have been the leading edge) when it dropped out.
    I actually like the low-velocity idea better, as I really don't like taking hammers and cleaning rods to my barrels.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master
    Can someone tell me exactly what the Foul Out is? I Googled it and I came up with a cleaning spray but no mention of lead removal.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickf1985 View Post
    Can someone tell me exactly what the Foul Out is? I Googled it and I came up with a cleaning spray but no mention of lead removal.
    It is a electrical device and solutions that does a reverse plating, from the bore onto a stainless steel rod. The bore is plugged with a rubber stopper. The metal rod with o-rings is inserted into the bore (barrel is upright). Then either a copper removal or lead removal solution is dribbled into the bore.

The control box is connected to the rod and the firearm and turned on. Over time the copper or lead is moved from the bore to the rod, thus cleaning the bore.

45_Colt

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12