Inline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load DataReloading Everything
Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can leading from cast bullets be permanent or extremely difficult to completely remov

Boolit Mold

Can leading from cast bullets be permanent or extremely difficult to completely remov

Just wondering about leading. Can it be difficult to conpletely remove? I loaded a box of 8x50 austrian and i was worried they didnt have enough lube on em.

Leading isn’t hard to remove at all, provided one understands it and the methods to remove it. The choreboy technique is the best I’ve used for scrubbing it out, but shooting good loads that don’t lead is the easiest and most fun method I’ve found.

In my opinion copper fouling is much more difficult to remove. I got a little carried away shooting prairie dogs with my 6-284. That was a mess to get that cleaned out.

Boolit Master
    If you're worried that there's not enough lube on the boolits get a small brush and paint some alox or 45-45-10 on the exposed part of the boolits ahead of the case. Let it dry on so it will be like a tumble lube. It might work, and it can't hurt, so nothing to loose.

Boolit Bub
    Alox on the exposed bullet would be my recommendation too.

Please expand on “choreboy” method of removal. What lead removal methods are folks using when they push their pb bullets too far?
    Matt

Boolit Master

Some have shot gas checked boolits, every 10 or so rounds, in the attempt to clear lead fouling, if any, during shooting. "Getting the lead out" back home is well documented on this site and "Chore Boy" (copper wool), as previously commented, is excellent.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Banner Sponsor

Get some chore boy-copper wool, copper scrubber pads... pull or cut some off, wrap around a bronze brush and scrub the Dickenson out of the barrel. Switch to a solvent stacked patch occasionally to get it cleaned out and check your progress.

With a good fit and good lube I have pushed plain based bullets past 2000fps in my 35 Whelen with no leading.

Choreboy is a name brand copper pot scrubbers. I use o cedar brand. I cut a strip to fit around a brush several times. Then I insert by pulling in the bore through the breech. Get it as tight as you can and then pull it and push it back and forth and it scours out the lead. I generally do it with a little hoppes. I generally don’t do it actually, unless I have a problem gun I’m working with. All the guns I have currently don’t require it.

Boolit Grand Master
    Make sure when buying your copper scouring pads that they are in fact copper and not copper plated steel. The steel can scratch the bore, leading to more leading in the future.

What I do is first I soak the bore with Kroil, an excellent penetrating oil. I let it sit for several hours or over night, then I take a tight fitting patch and force the patch through the bore. If the leading is not too bad, a few passes passes will remove it. However, if the bore is really heavily leaded--like a .357 Dan Wesson I once bought, that's where the choreboy technique come into its own. That gun had been extensively fired with the old Winchester super x, soft-lead, ammo and was heavily leaded from throat to muzzle. No wonder "It don't shoot worth a darn."

I spent hours over a week scrubbing out strips of lead. At the time I had not heard of Kroil, and Hoppe's did little or nothing. But one of the old timers at Dave Ransberger's gun shop educated me on the choreboy technique. I gave it a try and in an hour I could see the rifling. 45 years later I still keep that one on standby in case of need.
    Last edited by rintinglen; 05-09-2022 at 11:19 AM.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Another way to remove the leading, is to shoot some low velocity bullets.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master

Do a search on the term ... Lewis Lead Remover ... that my friend is the absolute best ... if your into best ... way / tool to use to get the lead out a rifle barrel !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

I generally start with the choreboy technique if I have any leading whatsoever. When I do it, I use hoppes or something like remoil more for lubricating and washing out the debris than for its cleaning properties. The fact that hoppes or remoil also gets on any powder fouling and helps remove that is a bonus.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    Another way to remove the leading, is to shoot some low velocity bullets.
    Some years ago in the mid 1980's and way before fine forums like this existed, I had read/heard somewhere about 'shooting the lead out'. I however do not recall any mention of low velocity for this practice. Before I knew better and read about proper bullet fit I had been shooting some commercially reloaded cast bullets in my 44mag Ruger Redhawk and generated some serious leading issues. I decided to try shooting the lead out with some Federal 180gr jacketed hollow points. Today I don't recall that those efforts were more than marginally successful, but I do know that particular SS Redhawk developed cracks in the barrel some months later and needed a trip back to Ruger for a new barrel. In the years since I have convinced myself that blasting those jacketed bullets into/through that leading contributed to/caused the failure of that barrel.

Right, wrong or just plain non-sensical, I will never try 'shooting the lead out' ever again. Especially since the use of a good penetrating lubricant followed by chore-boy or brass wool wrapped around a smaller caliber bore brush is so easy and effective.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Has anyone tried using bees wax on the chore boy and maybe warming barrel to liquefy the wax? It seems to pry under lead on molds better than anything else.

Boolit Grand Master

Choreboy and Kroil! I've never had leading that these would not remove.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by oley55 View Post
    Some years ago in the mid 1980's and way before fine forums like this existed, I had read/heard somewhere about 'shooting the lead out'. I however do not recall any mention of low velocity for this practice. Before I knew better and read about proper bullet fit I had been shooting some commercially reloaded cast bullets in my 44mag Ruger Redhawk and generated some serious leading issues. I decided to try shooting the lead out with some Federal 180gr jacketed hollow points. Today I don't recall that those efforts were more than marginally successful, but I do know that particular SS Redhawk developed cracks in the barrel some months later and needed a trip back to Ruger for a new barrel. In the years since I have convinced myself that blasting those jacketed bullets into/through that leading contributed to/caused the failure of that barrel.

Right, wrong or just plain non-sensical, I will never try 'shooting the lead out' ever again. Especially since the use of a good penetrating lubricant followed by chore-boy or brass wool wrapped around a smaller caliber bore brush is so easy and effective.
    I think I got that from Felix, who knew more about this game than anyone here. I wouldn't try it with jacketed bullets.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Bub
    I'm another believer in Kroil and Choreboy!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    I think I got that from Felix, who knew more about this game than anyone here. I wouldn't try it with jacketed bullets.
    Didn’t mean to come across as contrary, but rather an opportunity to relay my personal although unverified experience and conclusion. Offered only so folks can at a minimum think a bit more about stuff in advance. Best regards and highest respects..
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

I found the real copper chore boy stuff at Lowes. Be careful and take a magnet with you. The steel stuff will scuff and scratch the barrel of older revolvers and pistols pretty easily with aggressive use. A dose of Ballistol left over night will soften up the lead a lot also. Be gentile, the lands and grooves in those barrels is hallowed ground!
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

I get over a hundred barrels a year in to clean. You can make yourself a Foul Out for pennies. They take lead and copper out to bare steel, just oil after and done.
    I have a home made Foul Out in my “cleaning” drawer in my shop, right now, it lives there. When I started this process, it was a Nickel Foul Out, now it is near a dollar.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast