WidenersRepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .357 hunting boolits

Boolit Master

.357 hunting boolits

I realize that you guys are probably a poor choice when it comes to moderation in mold purchases. But, I have the NOE 360-158-WFN-T4 mold and it shoots delightfully in both my 6” Security Six and 2 1/2” GP-100 as either a .38Spl at 950fps or .357Mag at 1,300fps.

https://noebulletmolds.com/site/prod...60-158-wfn-t4/

Unfortunately I’m hearing the Siren song of the very similar 360-182-WFN-U2 180gr boolit for hunting.

https://noebulletmolds.com/site/prod...60-182-wfn-u2/

Is 20ish grains going to be useful for eastern whitetail hunting or should I just save my $ and buy more lead?
    Last edited by Rick R; 05-08-2022 at 04:36 PM. Reason: Fixed link

Boolit Master
    For something as thin skinned as a whitetail, I wouldn't think it would make a difference in a revolver. If you were using a rifle, I would recommend that you make the jump to 180gr or even 200gr, whichever the gun likes best.

If I recall, the 357 was made famous with its performance using 158gr SWCs to take all kinds of game, including things like moose.
    I'm a big fan of data-driven decisions. You want to make me smile, show me a spreadsheet! Extra points for graphs and best-fit predictive equations.

Boolit Grand Master
    Dakar is probably right. I'd err on the side of heavy for penetration if bone is encountered.

Shot placement trumps all else.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Grand Master
    I don't think it would be much more effective, (how dead is dead?) unless you plan to make only Texas heart shots. I may be wrong.

How much will the extra weight offset the expected velocity loss?

Robert

I have the 180 wfn gas check for my .357 Maximum Henry single shot. Be happy to send you some 'test boolets '? I also have the NOE 158 wfn in a plain base for my .38 Special. I think either will work for whitetail, with correct shot placement. hc18flyer

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hc18flyer View Post
    I have the 180 wfn gas check for my .357 Maximum Henry single shot. Be happy to send you some 'test boolets '? I also have the NOE 158 wfn in a plain base for my .38 Special. I think either will work for whitetail, with correct shot placement. hc18flyer
    Thanks for the offer! I’m mainly curious as to if the 158gr WFN is adequate for deer at archery ranges. Of the three deer I took last year the furthest was under 50 yards with a scoped 9.3x62 jacketed bullet. I’ve owned the Security Six since 1980 and never shot at a deer with it.

It will work fine at archery ranges. A couple of years ago I used my .45 Colt Blackhawk. At 15 yards, he never took another step! hc18flyer

Not legal in NE, but I am tempted to carry my .38 Special to my stand, just in case the opportunity presents itself? Morning, nice clean broadside, be tenderloins for supper! hc18flyer

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hc18flyer View Post
    Not legal in NE, but I am tempted to carry my .38 Special to my stand, just in case the opportunity presents itself? Morning, nice clean broadside, be tenderloins for supper! hc18flyer
    WV requires at least .357 Magnum for deer/bear/boar, luckily the 158gr over 14.0gr of 2400 shoots under 1 1/2” at 25 yards from the 6” Security Six. I also have a .45 Colt that needs to bring home venison at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick R View Post
    WV requires at least .357 Magnum for deer/bear/boar, luckily the 158gr over 14.0gr of 2400 shoots under 1 1/2” at 25 yards from the 6” Security Six. I also have a .45 Colt that needs to bring home venison at some point.
    NE requires handguns to have at least 400 ft-lbs @50 yds

At archery range with good shot placement a 158gr WFN will definitely get the job done.

i’d keep the 158

buy more lead and practice practice

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC

Boolit Master
    This site needs a like button but with all the great info here we’d get nothing else done.

NOE just listed the hollowpoint mold version of their 200gr WFN .401” I’ve been waiting for in inventory so this months discretionary $ are going to feed my 10mm guns. I’ll probably put the 180gr WFN .357 boolit off until Ruger releases a Marlin 1894c that’s not gold plated or tactikool.
    Last edited by Rick R; 05-09-2022 at 02:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick R View Post
    I realize that you guys are probably a poor choice when it comes to moderation in mold purchases. But, I have the NOE 360-158-WFN-T4 mold and it shoots delightfully in both my 6” Security Six and 2 1/2” GP-100 as either a .38Spl at 950fps or .357Mag at 1,300fps.

https://noebulletmolds.com/site/prod...60-158-wfn-t4/

Unfortunately I’m hearing the Siren song of the very similar 360-182-WFN-U2 180gr boolit for hunting.

https://noebulletmolds.com/site/prod...60-182-wfn-u2/

Is 20ish grains going to be useful for eastern whitetail hunting or should I just save my $ and buy more lead?
    Well I have the second mold and have to say once I got used to how the hollowpoint pins work it is a great mold. With the deep hollowpoint pin the bullet weighs around 155 grains gas checked and powder coated. Been shooting it in a 350 Legend but some are surely going to end up in my 357 soon. As for penetration with the 158 gr. Flat nose, are you planning on taking shots that require a lot of penetration? If all you plan on shooting are broadside rib cage shots you will have plenty of penetration. I rarely shoot shoulders and so far have never had a penetration issue with anything when putting a bullet through a rib cage of a deer. That said without some expansion you might have to look a ways to find your deer. I shot my first handgun deer with a 158 grain Winchester Luballoy factory load. Very soft bullet coated with a copperish substance. That bullet did flatten out, but did not exit on a perfect lung shot and the deer traveled some 60 yards. Yes I like a heavier bullet for deer hunting.

I shot lots of deer with 180 grain WFN's out of my Marlin 94c carbine. I got complete penetration from any angle and lots of 1 shot kills. I did take shoulder shots when possible because with public land hunting you need to put your deer down fast. Shot a couple with 160 grain WFN's in 38 special +p cases. Velocity was 14-1500 fps and they did well too. A little less penetration but very deadly at woods ranges. If I had to choose one it would be the 180 though. Better penetration makes it more versatile (hogs, black bear, etc.) Good luck!

Boolit Master
    I recently got an Arsenal 5 cav alum. mold. 175 gr. Keith style boolits. They shoot nicely so far with medium loadings and 20/1 alloy. IMR 4227 and HS-6. I would not hesitate to use these for Whitetales with heart/lung shots though I do have .44 mag and .45 Colt loads that would probably do even better. One member did well with a 5" GP100 in .327 Federal mag this fall in the deer woods.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Moderator Emeritus

I think the 160/158 wfn is fine from a handgun. i would want the extra oomph from a rifle to be with a 180. I think your bullet if pushed hard from a revolver should be a good 75 yard combo. Double that from a rifle.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

1720 miles East of Wall Drug, North of Cooperstown, NY
    I have both the molds your write of in post 1.

I now find no need for the 182 GC boolit as the 158 will do it all and and without the step of gas checking them.

There isn't a thin skinned animal on 2 feet or four that will notice the difference if one is sent their way.

I use the 158 version in things from 38 spec to 357 mag rifles with great success. And no magnumituse needed.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Je suis Charlie
    Remember Lavoy!
    I'll cling to my God and my guns, and you can keep the "Change".

Boolit Buddy
    I agree with Screwbolts. Wallacem in Ga

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast