MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2RepackboxLee Precision
Reloading EverythingLoad DataTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Wideners
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chronograph ????

Boolit Grand Master

I did not notice any POI change with either but then neither were zeroed for any of the test loads at that time so it's really unknown if there was a shift. The M94 was actually the only rifle I've used it on for any load development as I have 3 Oehler chronographs I use for that. I used the MagnetoSpeed on the M92 to just chronograph some factory cowboy action loads for a guy at the range. Again the M92 was not zeroed for that factory load so I can't say there was a POI shift.

I got the MagnetoSpeed simply because a friend couldn't get it to work and threw it in the trash can at the range. I suggested he send it back to the manufacturer, but he said he was getting an Oehler M35P like mine. I fished it out of the garbage can and tried to get it to work but it wouldn't. I called the manufacturer and they said to send it back which I did. They sent me a new one. Told my friend and he said to keep it if i wanted it. I carry it around in my shooting box just to be able to chronograph, mostly when yahoos claim 2900 fps with 140 gr bullets out of their 6.5 Creeds with 18 - 22" barrels.......

One time a couple years back a fellow knew I was going the do some testing with the Oehler M43 PBL so he asked if he could set up his Lab Radar and see how it compared. I had the 100 yard screens down range so i could also measure the TOF and BC and I brought along my M35P and set the screens for it right in front of the M43's. I also mounted the MagnetoSpeed on the barrel of the 308W test rifle. Out of a 10 shot test string the MagnetoSpeed, The M35P and M43 PBL all screened all 10 shots. The data of each was very close to each other. The Lab Radar missed 4 of the 10 shots. Of the 6 shots it captured the velocities and BCs were in line with the velocities of the other three chronographs. Tried another 10 shot test. After losing 4 out 5 of the first shots and then getting lost in the program trying to correct whatever he gave up, packed it up and left the range. I've no idea whether he still has it.......
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

"The Lab Radar missed 4 of the 10 shots. Of the 6 shots it captured the velocities and BCs were in line with the velocities of the other three chronographs. Tried another 10 shot test. After losing 4 out 5 of the first shots and then getting lost in the program trying to correct whatever he gave up, packed it up and left the range. I've no idea whether he still has it......."

Why I was tempted to buy one but didn't. Shooting and testing should be fun, and I am trying to stop swearing at inanimate objects!!
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Buddy
    One thing that can affect the Labradar is an excessive amount of steel down range. That microwave radar pulse loves to reflect from big steel objects. When I'm set up, I seldom miss a reading - far better than a lot of chronographs I've had especially in bright light. At one time or another, I've owned most of the chrono's mentioned. Pretty happy with my choice.

Boolit Grand Master

I see my MagnetoSpeed Sporter is out of stock(?) and the newer models have gotten pretty pricey but apparently much improved. I see they also have an "improved" strapping system. That may require a different mounting technique but shouldn't be too hard to figure out. Should mention there also is a "sensitivity" setting with the MagnetoSpeeds, especially to detect cast bullets. Lots of "scrolling" through the computer programing also. Not as much as with the Lab Radar but still I'd rather be shooting than scrolling. That's probably why I find just setting up the M35Ps screens on a tripod, plugging the cables in and then shooting while the console figures everything out and prints it. Only three buttons to push and quite simple. The M43 PBL, while a bit more complicated with a laptop it also is quite simple actually.

As long as there's shooting light I've not had any problems with Oehler Sky Screens missing shots with the M35P or the M43 PBL. In dim light or if the screens are under baffles I simply turn on $2 battery powered lights from Harbor Freight and lay one on each of the orange top defectors. Works perfectly, even indoors with pellet rifles.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Great information all. Thank you. I now know more than ever and might be more confused about what to buy than ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawlerbrook View Post
    Great information all. Thank you. I now know more than ever and might be more confused about what to buy than ever.
    Yer choice will be dependent on the weapons you want to track speed and load data. A good screen chrono would probably do it all, but all the current crop of chronographs have their limitations. If it's just centerfire firearms with long bbls that will accept a Magnetospeed Sporter, I think that chrono is a better choice than a screen chronograph. If you need to work with a variety of weapons then go for a screen chrono .... or buy both chrono types if the bucks are available.

We have come a long way since the old circuit board screens that you actually shot through. I had an Oehler model 11, I believe the # is right, that you had to turn the dial to get the numbers and then look in a little book furnished with the unit to get the velocity. It was 1977 and I was in hog heaven with that clock!
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Grand Master

Still got my Oehler M11 with the new M61 "Sky Screens". It still works perfectly.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00345.JPE 
Views:	20 
Size:	28.6 KB 
ID:	300167

Name:	DSC00346.JPE 
Size:	28.2 KB 
ID:	300166
    Larry Gibson

― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Buddy
    Our work here is done!!

This is not a bad deal. New and under warrenty, and available all the goodies you will need.
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1015050545?pid=628006
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1016429780?pid=896627
    I look at what I want and see if there is a better newer version or an upgrade.

Boolit Master
    Several years ago I got a used Chrony, think the F1 model, quite cheaply ($60) that uses the sky screens. Have used it once to verify velocity on some hunting loads, and has been sitting in a storage cabinet ever since. With that one exception all my cast shooting is based on accuracy, don't care how fast it is going.

Boolit Master

I've got a CED Millennium 2 chronograph. I don't use it often enough to remember all the features. I should remember to take it to the range every time so I can stay acquainted with it.

One big problem is the supports for the "sun shades" are plastic and not replaceable with dowels or some other support. I've shot mine a couple of times when working with pistols. They are repairable if the damage is not too severe.

I would like to have a Oehler(Not the latest model, too expensive and complicated). For my use I can't justify replacing what I already have. The latest Oehler is written up in Handloader. I read the whole article and most of its' capabilities are beyond my abilities.
    John
    W.TN

I will be using a chronograph for load development for mostly leverguns but also bolt action centerfire rifles. I may use it a couple times a year to get a load and then it might sit for a year or too. I am strictly developing hunting loads .

I will be using a chronograph for load development for mostly leverguns but also bolt action centerfire rifles. I may use it a couple times a year to get a load and then it might sit for a year or too. I am strictly developing hunting loads .
    If a magneto speed Sporter will fit your lever guns, I think you will find that's the best chronograph for you.

I shoot at a public range and the Magneto speed lets me set it up without having to call a cease fire to go in front of the firing line numerous times to align the screens. I probably would have plenty of time because most of the casual shooters don't have a spotter and want to run down range every few shots, but, I used to be one of those guys when I was a young shooter. But the magneto speed has endeared it's self to me for rifles for the accuracy and lack of missed readings. Larry Gibson's photos of the lever gun setup so good luck with whatever you choose.

The two electronic devices that have made shooting easier and better for me at ranges are the Magnetospeed and the Eagle Target Camera.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Still got my Oehler M11 with the new M61 "Sky Screens". It still works perfectly.

Name:	DSC00345.JPE 
Size:	28.6 KB 
ID:	300167

Name:	DSC00346.JPE 
Size:	28.2 KB 
ID:	300166
    I had, and gave away about 40 years back an Oehler -- do not recall the model number -- which used vacuum tubes with little lit dots at each tube's top. The fellows at range called them "Nixie Tubes." One shot through two spaced pieces of paper which had a conductive path printed (or stuck ) to it. The bullet broke the circuit in the first paper shot through, followed by similar in the second. Then, you had to look at the remaining lit dots at Nixie Tube tops -- write them down as unit sucked a lot of electricity -- and then check the accompanying chart to read the measured bullet velocity.
    Working as an electronics tech at the time I was kind of a range hero at the time -- those printed circuit shoot thru sheets were rather costly, and I spent quite a few lunch hours soldering/bridging shot voids to give the shot-through sheets a 2nd, 3rd, ???? life.
    I bought an aftermarket "sighter" for my LabRadar so basically when I get to range I simply open/fold down the Kodak Carousel Projector case I keep it in, plug in the external battery, take a very few seconds to look down sighter and align LabRadar. Turn on power; press "arm" button a couple of times -- and shoot away.
    Soooo rare it is if a shot is missed. I have their App on my cellular 'phone as well as iPad -- truly a pleasure to use! And -- I shudder to recall the 1970's Nixie-tube chrony!
    Re set-up comments -- hey -- I take perhaps no more than five total minutes to 1st make sure battery is fully charged; I keep "armed" time at 240 seconds / 4 minutes; and type in the weight of bullet and other germane data still at home.
    My one and only complaint is perhaps having toooo much data when I get home -- but, that may be a bit due to my definitely not being the brightest lamp in the fixture using Excel.
    YES -- I still have and use my Oehler 35P -- mainly for full-afternoon/most of day range sessions. BUT -- for a quick, most reliable "go to" -- the Labradar is my choice.
    As a "P.S." I had bought the LabRadar microphone for airgun use and never felt warm and fuzzy (technical term) using it. Instead, I came across a unit made in Czech Republic and purveyed by Airguns of Arizona -- the AirChrony Mk1 -- and this unit superbly functions with the springer, nitro, and PCP airguns I have.
    geo

Banned
    yep, thank ya!!!!!!

this is what i bought but without the wires coming from the sunscreen. i think it was somewhere around $100-120. its good enuff for what i do.

We have come a long way indeedAttachment 300196

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by murf205 View Post
    We have come a long way indeedAttachment 300196
    and 8 track tapes!!!!!!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast