WidenersReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackbox
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Load Data
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chronograph ????

Chronograph ????

Thinking about buying one. Will be playing around with load development for a new rifle in 250ai. Looking for something simple to operate and reliable. Do not need or want all the bells and whistles, just something to give me velocities and something with a reasonable price. Any advice would be appreciated. Probably something that will not be used everyday.

I got a ProChrono and like it and shot it once and to replace it I was charge 1/2 the price since they were not able to fix it.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Yes, it seems that is not that unusual and I can see how that can happen.

I've had this one for a couple of years. Easy to use. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1015050210?pid=626107

Yes, that’s the one I have been looking at.

Boolit Master

I have had this one for 2 years Its great and is on sale for only 20.00 more at Midway today.

Competition Electronics ProChrono DLX Bluetooth Chronograph
    Product #: 988434 Manufacturer #: CEI-3820 UPC #: 787735038200134 ReviewsWrite a Review Q&A (26)
    Alternate Image 1
    Alternate Image 2
    Competition Electronics ProChrono DLX Bluetooth Chronographenlarge arrowmagnifying glass
    List Price:
    $144.95
    Our Price:
    $133.99$119.55
    You Save:
    $14.44 (10%)
    Available
    Ships tomorrow from MidwayUSA
    When will it arrive?
    Made in USA
    Quantity:
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dom View Post
    I've had this one for a couple of years. Easy to use. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1015050210?pid=626107
    thats a good'un to use.

i've had it for 3 or 4 years, but i'm like you, Shawlerbrook, i only need it once in a while. when i find the most accurate load, usually i use chrony to find the fps.

Boolit Mold
    Caldwell +1

Thanks for all the responses and keep the discussion going. But I think you all confirmed my choice.

Boolit Master
    I’ve got 2, the Pro Chrony and the Caldwell that hooks to IPhone or I pad. Both have had multiple pistol caliber wounds. Surprisingly both still work perfectly, and neither wound was fatal. Do not use sky screens any more, just try to shoot over them to get a reading of velocity. Abandoned the phone thing, just too much trouble,to hook up for what I thought would be good idea. Both are pretty tough.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government..... When the people fear their government there is tyranny, when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master
    Have the older Competition Electronics with the add on Blueooth module, I like the interface and associated software in my phone/laptop. Easy to read charts and performance data.

I does everything I need it to do, and would not hesitate to buy another.

Boolit Buddy
    One thing to do is to replace the sky screen metal support rods with wood dowels. Much less damage to the main unit when you catch a dowel with a boolit.

Been using a Shooting Chrony (apt name), but alas they went out of business sometime last year.

45_Colt

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Shawlerbrook View Post
    Thinking about buying one. Will be playing around with load development for a new rifle in 250ai. Looking for something simple to operate and reliable. Do not need or want all the bells and whistles, just something to give me velocities and something with a reasonable price. Any advice would be appreciated. Probably something that will not be used everyday.
    I have several chronies. My "best" all-around is the Oehler 35P -- but (primarily due to a bum leg) -- it seems to be a "pain" to set up for a short/quick range trip. I bought the Labrador which functions well for these. I also have a PACT -- least expensive of the three -- but it features infrared (or similar?) lights so it works both indoors as well as when the sun is down, outdoors. In my latitude it gets dark too early for most of the year to enable evening chrono use with the others.

I'd suggest you go to a local range and/or gun shop and find the preferred unit for your locale.
    geo

Boolit Buddy
    I used a Oehler 35 for years and they work quite well. A couple of years ago, I bought a Labradar and would never go back to setting up screens and cables. It's a game changer.

Tell me more about the Labradar.

I've had more than a few chronographs, the ones with the screens that you shoot through, and I found it really easy to shoot the chronograph! If your barrel will accept it, there's nothing like a magneto speed, a Sporter is 200 bucks and will do it all with precision and ease. Can anyone find a lab radar? Looks like right now they're unobtainium! LOL!!!

Yes and at $600 the Labradar can stay unobtainable for my purpose. I looked at the magneto speed but it seems by the reviews that keeping it from moving on the barrel due to recoil is a problem. Right now I am leaning toward the Caldwell.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawlerbrook View Post
    Yes and at $600 the Labradar can stay unobtainable for my purpose. I looked at the magneto speed but it seems by the reviews that keeping it from moving on the barrel due to recoil is a problem. Right now I am leaning toward the Caldwell.
    I agree on the cost of the labradar, just crazy! I shoot with a bunch of guys and we all have magneto speeds, and never one problem at all with the bayonet moving. It is by far world's better than any screen chronograph. At least for me. So much easier, so much faster to set up and take down, and all the data is kept and can be moved to any computer.

I have a Chrony Beta. got it in 2001. Made some previsions to the sun screen arms so that when I set it up it was always the same.
    At 21 years old it still works as good as the day I bought it, learning curve and all.
    I looked at the Caldwell Chornys a while back and If I were to replace the Beta the Caldwell would be the one to go with.

Boolit Grand Master

I've been using my Chrony Beta Master for the last 15 years, still works great and you can probably find a used one for cheap.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast