Inline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2Repackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLee PrecisionLoad Data
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading

Thread: Cannelure usage?

Boolit Buddy

Cannelure usage?

I'm really new at swaging. Trying to find out the proper way. Or if there is a proper way?

Do you put the cannelure on as the last thing you do to a boolit?
    Or do you put in on before the final cleaning?
    Last edited by Ajax111; 05-18-2022 at 02:43 PM.

Moderator / Master Tool & Die Maker

I always put the cannalure on after seating the cores, before running them thru the final ogive forming die.
    "I Make the part.............................that makes the parts"

Looking for Bullet Mould Handles, Heavy Duty Replacement Sprue Plates, Adjustable Paper Patch Bullet Moulds? Check here:http://www.kal.castpics.net/

My Feedback!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Red-River-Rick

For me, I put the cannelure on as the last step. I only swage handgun bullets, so it may be different for rifle bullets.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

I swage 44 jacket bullets for handgun only and do not use a cannuler. In fact, I sold my tool a couple months ago.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

I shoot a lot of my swaged handgun bullets through Marlin lever action rifles, so a cannelure helps to prevent bullet setback in the magazine tube, along with a firm crimp.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Buddy
    Now that I think about it, it's for rifles. I swage my 357 pistol boolits on a C and H with no lube. Then I put a cannelure on them.

I swage my 224 on a Corbin and they have lube on them. Then I put a cannelure on them before the final tumble.
    A person at our club says I should be putting the cannelure on after they come out of the tumbler so the line is nice and sharp.
    Thinking about it, he's probably right? I'm so new at swaging, I do not know if it matters.

What do you guys think?
    Last edited by Ajax111; 05-10-2022 at 11:25 AM.

Boolit Master

I put a cannelure (if needed) as the final step of making the bullet after I have cleaned them.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Intel6 View Post
    I put a cannelure (if needed) as the final step of making the bullet after I have cleaned them.
    Thats what I have always done also. Thinking about it though, doing it before point forming may help dimensionally. Winding that groove on does move some dimensions around. I'll have to try it before point forming once and see how it works. Proof is by test.

Boolit Buddy
    The last batch I did were tumbled first and then I put on the cannelure. Of course, you can feel a difference in the roughness. But honestly, I can still feel plenty of roughness in the batch that the cannelure was put on before they went into the tumbler.
    I tumble in Walnut shells with a little bit of polish in the mix. I just clean the lube off and shine them a little.
    I have never had trouble with the bullets moving on recoil.
    As long as you start with a good cannelure, I 'm not sure it matters?