RotoMetals2WidenersReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Repackbox

Thread: lubing with lee sizing dies?

Boolit Mold

lubing with lee sizing dies?

is it possible to use lee sizing dies in a boolit lubing machine with stick lube?

No it’s not. Lee sizing dies are made for a standard 7/8x14 press thread and have no provision for lubing. You size first, then lube, or lube first, then size. Or powder coat, then size.

No. Coat bullets with Lee Alox, size, lube again & load. Only heat a small amount of Alox, not the whole bottle.

Boolit Bub
    i coated then sized for final consistency

Boolit Master
    I use Lee liquid Alox cut 50:50 with mineral spirits.
    I have found it takes just a very small amount to lightly coat the boolits to give them a golden look. I dribble a very small amount into a margarine type container, put in the boolits and put the lid on and tumble for about 30 seconds. I next pour them onto a plastic coffee container lid and apply air and heat from a hairdryer. If the boolits seem a little tacky, I then tumble them in a container with a little Midway Mica.
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Boolit Mold
    do you ever get barrel leading in 38,357 or 45 calibers using alox at under 900 fps?

No leading in .358" & .452" diameters. My Lyman mold drops at .452" , 200 gr BB swc. I just tumble lubed with Lee Alox, as it comes out of bottle. The Lyman bullet just has the normal lube groove .

Normally, i use a Lyman 450 lube, sizer. But i like testing new methods.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I’ve used Lee Alox in the past with good results. However, I believe it’s made to work differently than standard lubed boolits. Best to stick with one method or another and not mix them..

Boolit Mold
    thanks for all the responses!

Boolit Grand Master
    I just got a couple of Lee TL design bullet moulds in .313 size from Dale53. He had good luck with 45:45:10 and Ben’s formula doing tumble lubing and then sizing (or not). I’m hoping the 95 gr SWC will be a good substitute for the late, lamented swaged SWC that Hornady used to sell for loading 32 S&W Longs.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

I’ve used tumble lube in 30-30 with gas checks at full velocity. I’ve used it in 45 auto. I’ve never gotten it to work in a revolver, but that’s because I’ve not tried it in one that didn’t already lead.

Boolit Grand Master

For some reason I've not purchased a lubersizer (cost, need a die and nose punch for most different bullets, etc.). For the last 25 years I have pan lubed, dip lubed and PCed. I don't like the brown noses from tumble lubing so I just dip the bullets up to just below the crimp groove and set them upright on a piece of alum. foil. I have loaded some Lee 44 cal SWC TL bullets up to hefty magnum loads up to about 1,300+ fps with little/no leading with alox and 45-45-10 (a bit faster out of my Puma carbine). I also have some bullets I prefer to use a standard lube (Speed Green, Carnauba Red, etc.) and pan lube.
    My Anchor is holding fast!