WidenersRepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading

Thread: Remington 700 switch barrel project

Remington 700 switch barrel project

this project has been on the back burner for the past 2 years. now that it is in full bloom I wonder "what the hell was the hold up". I love my Ar's but wanted a bolt gun in all my favorite AR calibers so I could shoot cast bullets. I started off with the 223 bolt face. It all begins with pinning the recoil lug to the receiver. Soon I fitted my barrels to the action. The 223 was of course the first from a stock factory barrel, l lucked out and it clocked right up on the roll stamp didn't end up in the customary place, but it still head spaced correctly wit 100 inch pounds of torque with witness marks applied. all the other calibers 300 Blk,350 legend were turned from blanks from Green mountain Barrel company. all set up and head spaced the same way. Set up at the range drew a lot of attention when I clamped the Viper barrel vise to the bench. the swaps were relatively easy and could be done in the stock by loosing the action screws. Each barrel had a different zero so this was the only cavate. The rifle performed beyond my expectations so much I built another one with a 308 bolt face. This one was fitted with a 5R Tactical 308 barrel all 5 shots were almost in the same hole. next up is the 6.5 Creedmoor and of course the classic 243. I am still waiting for the 45 barrels from green mountain to come back in stock for the 450 bushmaster. As soon as I can figure out how to upload pics I will incude them

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5036.gif 
Views:	45 
Size:	93.5 KB 
ID:	299933
    Last edited by sharpshooter3040; 05-07-2022 at 01:18 PM.

A friend of mine did this and had a notebook for scope settings. I do not recall exactly how he did the scope settings between barrels. I think he set the scope back to one barrel and would adjust from that setting for other barrels.

Boolit Master

I want to make a 25-45 Sharps with a 1:10 twist barrel for shooting 75 grain bullets

Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Each barrel had a different zero so this was the only cavate.
    Sounds like a good reason to build a solid rest, if you don’t have one.

What was your method for pinning the lug?

I've done several using Green Mountain barrel blanks using the "Remage" system. It basically mimics the Savage with the interchangeable barrels simply by using a lock nut. There is no indexing, you just use a headspace gauge, screw the barrel in until it's snug and then use a locknut. The only difference is that the Savage is 20 TPI whereas the Remington is 16 TPI. Criterion sells the locknut that fits each one. It's a lot easier and quicker and just as accurate. I've got a 223 that is swappable with any case that fits the .223 as well as one in .308. I used a 1/8 twist for 220 grain subsonic on the .308 which is stupid quiet when used with a good suppressor.
    07/02 FFL
    Maker of fun things to shoot...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/