RepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingLoad DataWidenersSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Replicating .30-40 krag service loads with cast bullets

Quote Originally Posted by Kraschenbirn View Post
    The Lee 309-200, gas-checked, powder-coated, and sized .311, weighs in at 202 gr from my alloy and, loaded over 36.5 gr. IMR4350, chronos at 1910 from my '98 carbine 'sporter.' Not quite 'ball ammo' ballistics but no problem hitting an IPSC silhouette at 300 yds, either.

Bill
    That IMR4350 load is my go to for my SMLE in .303 and my Gewher 1888's with a similar weight head.

I guess I'm learning something here. I burned a lot of 4350 when I was shooting the .243 Winchester off the bench. I've always thought of it as a powder for 50,000 psi and up, but obviously it's not. Still have quite a lot in store, so if I ever get the Krags out again. . . . .
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Bub
    Thanks so much for all the great advice guys. For the most part the American powders are prohibitively expensive here so I will try to find safe loads similar to the IMR and Hodgson suggestions using Vihtavuori, Lovex, or something else European.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by sfwh View Post
    Thanks so much for all the great advice guys. For the most part the American powders are prohibitively expensive here so I will try to find safe loads similar to the IMR and Hodgson suggestions using Vihtavuori, Lovex, or something else European.
    FYI, Shooter's World 'Buffalo Rifle' (equivalent of AA5744) is actually a repackaged Lovex powder. Dunno the Lovex designation but IIRC it was originally a Czech military pull-down.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Yes, the original XMP-5744 was a Czech military powder. Surplus, not pull-down, as I learned it. Been quite a while, so I can't confidently say anything more, except that it works when used correctly.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    My Krag shooting begins and ends with moulds that resemble good old Lyman #311284. Powder of choice for 2000fps for me begins and ends with 4350 also. Remembering the issues that service units had in the field with bolt lugs cracking when velocity with the 220 grain service bullet was raised to 2200fps, I wouldn't exceed that 2000 velocity level with heavy bullets for any reason.

As with any gun, but especially with Krags and their sloppy attention to bore and throat dimensions, a chamber cast is positively in order. Size the bullet to match throat diameter, or a half thousandths less, and guarantee that the nose rides firmly on the lands like Phil said, and your accuracy will be all you can hope for. Guessing at those bullet dimensions, or taking internet advice at face value, puts success squarely in the realm of luck. (What works for Joe X's Krag may or may not work in Ralph Y's Krag, and truth be told probably won't due to wildly varying/non-spec Krags that are out there, and add to that varying degrees of round counts/wear over the last 130 years and you have a real melange of issues to surmount.)

Once again I'll post these pictures of cracked lugs. I think Gary makes an excellent point about stressing these old Krags to OEM levels.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cracked Bolts02.jpg   Cracked Bolts01.jpg  
    Cognitive Dissident

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12