RepackboxSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationWidenersReloading Everything
Load Data RotoMetals2

Thread: Removing Extractor from a Winchester 1873?

Removing Extractor from a Winchester 1873?

I have a technical question for those of you that are familiar with the Winchester model 1873. My extractor is bad and I have a replacement for it. The rifle is taken down and the bolt removed. The pin holding the extractor in seems to be beaten down so as that it cannot just slip out from where it’s at. It looks like my only option is to file this down flat so I can take a punch and then push it out of the bolt.

I’ve already tapped on it with the bolt on my disassembly block and it didn’t try to move. So if I file it down on one side to remove the ring from around the pin, should free it up.

Am I on the right path for doing this? Is there any problem with doing it this way?
    Is there a better way of removing the extractor pin?

Thanks for the help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is two pictures of what I’m talking about.

Well I rolled the dice and tried it and it worked. Now to see if I can get the replacement in and cross my fingers that it works as it’s a used one off of eBay.

Boolit Master

Great thread, and most helpful
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Quote Originally Posted by skeettx View Post
    Great thread, and most helpful
    Mike
    You’re welcome Sir. I wasn’t real sure about it at first, but after I asked the question here, the more I thought about it the more I figured that to be the best way of doing it. Took my time and tried to just get on the bump of the pin as best as I could. All I did to the bolt was just shined it up in a few areas is all. Once I had the bulk of the excess metal removed from the pin, a couple soft blows of the hammer and punch, she popped right on out nice and clean.

Once I got the replacement extractor installed and the rifle back together, she ejected four dummy rounds like nobody’s business. Just a few more things to do to her before I can put some live rounds in her and really try her out.

Now just to find the rest of the parts I need.

Boolit Master
    We fitted a Uberti extractor to an original 73 but had to drill a new pin hole (relocate it) . The extractor fit the slot ok but pinhole is located differently (cant remember long or short and dont have the rifle close) - Its been done a couple of years and working fine.

Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    We fitted a Uberti extractor to an original 73 but had to drill a new pin hole (relocate it) . The extractor fit the slot ok but pinhole is located differently (cant remember long or short and dont have the rifle close) - Its been done a couple of years and working fine.
    I might be having to do something like that as the one I replaced isn’t extracting 100%. I’d say it’s extracting maybe 60-70% of the time currently. Got to love these old guns.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Babbott213 View Post
    I might be having to do something like that as the one I replaced isn’t extracting 100%. I’d say it’s extracting maybe 60-70% of the time currently. Got to love these old guns.

sometimes you can improve things by fitting a shim under the back end - start with a piece of boolit case cut to fit the slot

Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    sometimes you can improve things by fitting a shim under the back end - start with a piece of boolit case cut to fit the slot
    Thanks for that tip. I’ll definitely try that trick very soon.