Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingWidenersLoad Data
RepackboxRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Erratic ignition with 296 in .44 magnum

Erratic ignition with 296 in .44 magnum

I have shot H110/296 for decades in .44 magnum. Recently I got a mold for a 300 grain boolit that looked like a dandy. It is unique in that it has about the same amount of boolit in the case as a Keith.

I worked up to a load 1/2 to 1 grain above the manuals but less than what many reccomend for a 300 grain boolit. I got inconsistent ignition. Including 2 stuck boolits. There was no boolit movement under recoil and the charge is what it was set at.

I may not be crimping hard enough. Attached are pics of the boolit along with Keith, Ranch Dog, and a Lee 310. They are lined up by crimp groove. Also a pic of a loaded round is attached.

Input welcome.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    Bad primers?
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    What powder charge are you using and what was your source of data? 296 does not tolerate free airspace in the case at loading density less than about 85% of the available case capacity. Charges should not be reduced below published data. You also want to use a primer designed for spherical powders, such as Winchester Large Pistol. Heavy crimp is also needed to prevent inertial dislodgement under recoil and to hold bullet firmly against primer blast during initial ignition.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Powder charge is 20.0 grains. Manuals listed 19 or 19.5 for 300 grain boolits. Primers are Wolf. Use same primers with other boolits and 296 with very consistent chronograph velocity.

Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Vendor Sponsor

My modded Lee collet crimp really helped my full house loads, brought the ES down to under 20, and groups showed the change. Lee C430-310RF. WLP primers. 17.0gr 2400, velocity from 1180 to 1200fps.

Modded collet crimp on left, hard roll crimp on the right.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lee C430-310 RF Collet vs Roll Crimp1.png 
Views:	48 
Size:	722.8 KB 
ID:	299921

Crimped rounds compared to fired cases with the same crimp as the first pic:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lee 310 Collet & Roll Crimp.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	28.9 KB 
ID:	299922

Here is a thread documenting the mods to the collet crimp die: https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...=1#post2239315
    Last edited by DougGuy; 05-06-2022 at 07:45 PM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master

Sounds like you have quite a bit of expierience with the H-110/296 powders. Don't know what handgun you're shooting the loads in. Maybe bump up the charge .5 grain at a time, and see what happens. I wouldn't go so far as to compress the powder much though. I'm using the 296 in my heavy .41 magnum loads. My Ranch Dog 411-255 gc, sets just on top of a 20 grain powder charge. Fired cases slide out easily. I do get some soot on the cases though. Im shooting my loads in a Ruger SBH Hunter. I may try bumping it up just a little. No problems so far though. All the best in your endevor. Keep us updated.
    If a 41 won't stop it, I wouldn't bet my life on a 44.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Am not familiar with the chemistry of primer mix used by Wolf. Winchester uses powdered aluminum as metallic fuel to aid ignition by scattering hot incandescent particles through charge, without having to increase explosive force. More efficient mechanism.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Same gun with Ranch Dog boolit. 22 of 296.

Boolit Master
    I have also shot a lot of 296 in 44 mag - it likes a heavy crimp and LP magnum primers. Only thing I don’t like about 296 is that massive muzzle flash - looks like a 5” naval gun firing on a moonless night…

Boolit Master
    I will relate an experiment I did in the 44 Mag with Hornady 300 grain XTP seated normal using 19.5 grain W296, WLP Remington cases in a SBH. Also with the bullets seated long at 22.5 grains of the same powder.
    Chronoed the two loads back to back. All lots of components the same. I forget the velocities but the 22.5 grain load had the same velocity as the 19.5 grain load within 5 or 6 fps. This means something Im sure.

Boolit Buddy
    Most likely the Wolf primers aren't hot enough. Always used magnum primers with 296 and never had any issues.

Boolit Grand Master

Your Wolf primers are not adequate for the job. It's as simple as that. Your load, bullet, and crimp are fine.

Boolit Master
    I’ve shot many, many pounds of 296 over the years. I don’t even crimp much in my single shot rifles with it and it ALWAYS goes off. I use only LP magnum primers with it. I say you have a primer problem.

I have never had any problems with heavy bullet WW296 loads in either the .44 mag or .45 Colt....but then again I have never used Wolf primers either...

Just speculation but are you sure you are getting all cleaning media out of the flash hole.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master
    Just saying in my above post could it be lower load density because of the seating depth being less than the bullet the data was worked up with in the book
    Is that a possibility at all. I have used standard primers with that powder with good results as long as the load density was good.
    Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by 44MAG#1 View Post
    Just saying in my above post could it be lower load density because of the seating depth being less than the bullet the data was worked up with in the book
    Is that a possibility at all. I have used standard primers with that powder with good results as long as the load density was good.
    Oh well.
    That is what I am thinking.

I suspect the problem is the Wolf primers. About ten years ago I got a good deal on 5000 Wolf large pistol magnum primers. One winter when the temp was in the 30's I was getting squibs in my 12 inch .44 Contender using the Wolf primers and a near max load of WC820 powder. This is extremely fine ball powder, I'd say even more fine than H110/296. Sometimes the bullet would stick in the bore just clear of the case and some would send the boolits more forward with a solid powder plug lodged behind it. The problem went away when I switched back to CCI magnum primers. I used up the Wolf primers in my 1911 .45's and 231 powder.

Please describe what you are calling inconsistent ignition.

Unburned powder, boolit stuck in bore with unburned powder in a colum behind it, noticeable variations in report and recoil. Only with this boolit.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast