RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingWidenersInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Repackbox Load Data

Thread: New Sights For Remington #2 RollingBlock Rifle

New Sights For Remington #2 RollingBlock Rifle

I recently bought a Remington #2 Rolling Block in .32 caliber. My old eyes don't like the open sights on it. I'd like to put a peep on the rear. Does anyone have a suggestion for a supplier/model? The rifle has an octagon barrel. I think I would rather have a receiver sight that mounte in front ot the breech block rather than a tip down tang sight but I am open for recommendations.Thanks in advance.

Jim

Boolit Buddy

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 36g View Post
    I kinda like that and am going to bookmark that for a later project. I have a 43 Spanish roller that a PO bubbaed something like that on. I thought it was tacky at first but actually works well.

The side mounted peeps like the ones for the 94 Wins just don't belong on a roller....just my opinion.

Boolit Master
    You mentioned in front of the block but I find at 63 that my eyes like the peep mounted more closely so a tang mount is better for me.

http://www.marblearms.com/standard-p...12e29ea1e7159c

The other choice would be a Williams type receiver but they have a more modern look. You might not like the cosmetics on an older rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by HWooldridge View Post
    You mentioned in front of the block but I find at 63 that my eyes like the peep mounted more closely so a tang mount is better for me.

http://www.marblearms.com/standard-p...12e29ea1e7159c

The other choice would be a Williams type receiver but they have a more modern look. You might not like the cosmetics on an older rifle.
    Thank you. I may have to go with a tang sight like you linked. Something mounted just ahead of the breech block would work fine on this rifle because the breech block is incorporated with the hammer. The Williams peep I have on my Marlin lever works fine for me and it is just ahead of the hammer.

Jim

Boolit Master

I've been studying and researching #2 rifles Remington Sporting rifles for quite a while now. I've examined over 150 of them and identified many features that evolved over time. There is a little known factory breech block with an integral V-notch rear sight. It was only used on early centerfire #2 rifles and the M1871 Remington singles shot pistol, from which the #2 rifle action was developed. I surmise that they were simply leftover M1871 breech blocks. Later centerfire and all rimfire #2 blocks were a different design. Perhaps you can find one of these to suit your needs.

If your rifle is drilled and tapped for a tang sight, there are several alternatives. I have tang sights on a few of my #2s. My aging eyes really like them.

Quote Originally Posted by ndnchf View Post
    I've been studying and researching #2 rifles Remington Sporting rifles for quite a while now. I've examined over 150 of them and identified many features that evolved over time. There is a little known factory breech block with an integral V-notch rear sight. It was only used on early centerfire #2 rifles and the M1871 Remington singles shot pistol, from which the #2 rifle action was developed. I surmise that they were simply leftover M1871 breech blocks. Later centerfire and all rimfire #2 blocks were a different design. Perhaps you can find one of these to suit your needs.

If your rifle is drilled and tapped for a tang sight, there are several alternatives. I have tang sights on a few of my #2s. My aging eyes really like them.
    Thank you for the information. The breech block would be an ideal place for a receiver sight but what you describe is a v-notch rear sight. My rifle is not drilled for a tang sight but I am willing to dio so if nfecessary. It's funny. I ecpected someone to suggest Skinner sights - but no. The Skinner sights I have seen have been rather crude designs with no easy adjustments so I have not been impressed. That is the reason I have a Williams Fool Proof on my Marlin lever. I like its compactness but I am not sure about putting a rather modern design aluminum sight on my ancient rifel. I was trying to pick the brains of others who may have been here before.

Jim

Boolit Master

Another option is the MVA Rough & Ready sight. It is a high quality reproduction of the Remington combination V-notch/aperture sight.

https://montanavintagearms.com/produ...-barrel-sight/

Banner Sponsor

This is what I put on my new Swede 12.7x44R.
    Bought it from Midway and only had to drill and tap one hole in the tang.

Boolit Master
    lar45, what's the part number on that sight? Thanks.

Banner Sponsor

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by RustyReel View Post
    lar45, what's the part number on that sight? Thanks.
    Don't just assume that this sight will fit on a number 2 rifle. The tangs are very different.

Banner Sponsor

The mounting holes are about 1.950" apart.
    Don't know if that will help or not.