Reloading EverythingInline FabricationWidenersLoad Data
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Powder Measure for Flake Powders

Powder Measure for Flake Powders

Trying to use my Harrell's powder measure and it doesn't do well with flake powders like red dot, green dot, unique below 10 grains. Plus, it is for rifle and isn't really designed to go that low. I get lots of bridging which can vary from 5.0 to 8.0 grains on a single setting. I've got good technique on working the throw lever. I've got my birthday discount at midway and am looking at the Redding completion 10-x pistol measure. Anyone have experience with it for hard to meter flake powders in the 5.0 - 8.0 grain range. Or, other powder measures that work? I don't want to switch to ball powder if I can help it. I have LOTS of flake powder (20+ lbs) I'm trying to use for mild 44 mag and 357 loads.
    Last edited by SoonerEd; 05-31-2022 at 01:41 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

I believe the Belding and Mull is back in production - search that one out and see if it will work for you. Mine is the old one and the only measure I will use with Unique.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Buddy
    The RCBS Little Dandy's will do as well as any. Their Uniflo with the small rotor, 1/2 inch metering chamber is pretty fair. With their micrometer accessory, it is about as good as the Reddding.

A Lee auto-disk will work perfectly, just get an adjustable charge bar for it. You can use it on a single stage as well.

Boolit Master
    Believe it or not the Lee Pro disc works great with flake powders for pistols. I usually work up a load with my Lee Deluxe Perfect Powder Measure, then find an orifice that throws light and use a tapered reamer to slowly ream it to throw the correct amount of powder and it’s good. Of course you could also use the Deluxe powder measure and just set one of the optional quick change drums for each load and it works great as well. I like the disc because I do all my pistol loading on my Lee turret, but if you batch load old school style the Deluxe will do the job.

Boolit Master
    Almost fifty-five years of reloading and I finally settled on a Redding BR3 powder measure. It is by far the best I’ve owned over the years. Not cheap, but very good.

USMC 77, USRA 79

The Lyman Gen 6 will throw whatever you want, of whatever powder you fill it with. It especially shines with tiny charges of flakes and hard to meter powders.
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Thanks I've got a RCBS around here somewhere that I think has the pistol drum. If I can find it, I'll give it a try. Got to do it this weekend as my birthday discount expires in a few days. Thanks for the ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by NSB View Post
    Almost fifty-five years of reloading and I finally settled on a Redding BR3 powder measure. It is by far the best I’ve owned over the years. Not cheap, but very good.
    What makes it different than any other rotary drum type measure?

Boolit Buddy
    The BR3 chamber is smaller in diameter than their all purpose measures. The 5/8 diameter chambers in several different brands will drive you to distraction using Unique.

Gen 6 I have not found a powder it didn't like

Quote Originally Posted by Drew P View Post
    What makes it different than any other rotary drum type measure?
    I think it's the tolerances they are built with. I used most of the common powder measures out there, Uniflow, #55, Hornady, Belding and Mull. Several vintages of a couple of them.

My two Redding's, a BR3 with both chambers and 30BR are always more consistent than any of the others I've used over the years. Doesn't make much difference what powder I'm using.

Boolit Master

I like my SAECO powder measure
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

I found and tried the uniflow.

With red dot it threw 10 charges between 5.9 - 6.1
    With unique it threw 10 charges between 8.4-8.6 with 7 of those at 8.5.

So that's good enough for what I'm doing. Saved me some money as I already had it. It was given to me from someone getting rid of their reloading stuff and I forgot about having it with a pistol drum.

So instead of buying a powder measure I'll buy a Lee 6 cavity 312-155-2R GC mold to tinker with in my AKs and SKSs.

Another fan of the Redding BR3. Expensive but a once in a lifetime purchase.

All volumetric powder measures have the same ability to dispense constant volumes, wether it's a Lee Auto disk, or a Bellding and Mull.

The resulting charge weight with ball powder varies very little with any powder measure.

When the powder is not ball, all measures will vary the charge, and the coarser the powder, the greater the charge variation.

Boolit Grand Master

for me the issue is not accurate measure as much as it is the bridging the Unique does in every one of my measures. I don't have a Redding or a Lee so I can't speak of those. My Lyman bridges even when you use the knocker.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by skeettx View Post
    I like my SAECO powder measure
    YES! My SAECO is incredibly accurate and consistent. According to a past member the drums were hard chromed and then individually ground to precisely fit the body with which they were sold. The precise fit is credited for the accurate metering. Mine dispenses “oatmeal flake” powders and stick powders like H4895 equally well.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    for me the issue is not accurate measure as much as it is the bridging the Unique does in every one of my measures ... My Lyman bridges even when you use the knocker.
    The problem is probably not the measures. My old 55 can repeatedly drop 120 grains N570 to within 2 grains if I ask it to, and that's about ten kernels to the grain. Very coarse.

Have you checked the condition of the powder, by comparing it to a new, fresh batch of Unique ? It may be clumping in the storage container, or otherwise sticking together due to some chemical change.

Boolit Master
    My Herter's pistol measure has a 1/4 inch drum, it is accurate with ball and fine flake powder like BE. It is inconstant with Unique and extruded powder.

The rifle drum is 3/8, this one works well with Unique.

I think the large drums have to much area to strike off, especially with small charges.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast