MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyWideners
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad Data
Reloading Everything Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Powder Measure for Flake Powders

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 414gates View Post
    The problem is probably not the measures. My old 55 can repeatedly drop 120 grains N570 to within 2 grains if I ask it to, and that's about ten kernels to the grain. Very coarse.

Have you checked the condition of the powder, by comparing it to a new, fresh batch of Unique ? It may be clumping in the storage container, or otherwise sticking together due to some chemical change.
    Ha! If I could find some Unique I would! But I did this experiment back when it really was fresh.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

I tried the uniflow with 5.0 grains of Maxam CSB-1. Of the 10 or so I weighed, all were 5.0 - 5.1 with most at 5.0.

Boolit Master
    A hack suggested to me was strapping an aquarium aerator to the side of the measure. The vibration helps break down the bridging. At least for pistol charges of Clays, it worked for me.

Boolit Buddy
    In 40 plus years of loading, I have always had good luck with a vintage Redding. Some say the ones produced later weren’t as good. I don’t know.
    Another thing with a different drum measure I did was remove all casting flash and bumps in the throat leading in and out of drum with sanding drum and then coat with moly paint or slip plate. I coated drum as well and added baffle. Now it will meter AL-8 which is one the most difficult to meter accurately.

Boolit Grand Master

Lyman 55 with the slides adjusted to form one deep narrow cavity .
    This presents fewer grains of powder to be cut .
    Develop a consistent method of operation .
    My operation is to leave the handle in the down position and fill and settle the powder in the hopper .
    Place case to be charged under drop tube ... hold it there .
    Lift the handle smartly upwards and give two raps , with handle , to fill the cavity .
    Drop handle smartly and give two more raps , smartly , with handle , to empty the cavity and settle powder in hopper .
    Placed charged case in loading block and repeat the procedure .
    I don't use the "knocker" I found the handle , used as a knocker did better than that little do-hickey knocker ...I can get a firmer knock with the handle ...two knocks then lift ...two knocks then lower ...repeat for each case .
    Consistent operation of the handle will yeild consistent powder charges dropped .
    Make sure the hopper stays at least 1/2 full of powder .

It takes a little practice to develope a consistent operation speed and force but that is the secrete along with setting a cavity that is narrow and deep not wide and shallow .
    Narrow and deep cavity is perhaps the biggest help with "flake" powders ... I cut my teeth on Unique and for several decades it and 4895 was all I used .
    Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 05-23-2022 at 07:13 PM.
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    for me the issue is not accurate measure as much as it is the bridging the Unique does in every one of my measures .
    It's been bothering the back of my mind , this bridging with Unique in all the measures.

The powder is not old. The other thing is static electricity.

There may be a buildup of static electricity on your bench. I have no idea how to check for this, but it's easy to earth the bench if it is the case.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 414gates View Post
    It's been bothering the back of my mind , this bridging with Unique in all the measures.

The powder is not old. The other thing is static electricity.

There may be a buildup of static electricity on your bench. I have no idea how to check for this, but it's easy to earth the bench if it is the case.
    "Static Electricity" is this why your avatar's hair is standing up like that?
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Messy Bear,
    I think this is worth a try...especially the casting imperfections.

Tried 5.0 grains of red dot in the Uniflow with no bridging and at +/- .1 grains.

I've been using an RCBS for twenty years. Never knew there even COULD be a problem with flake powders. I load Red Dot and Blue Dot more than any other powders except for Bullseye. Not Unique, though. Have never found a niche for Unique that something else couldn't do better. These days most of my reloading is tiny charges for .32 Colt and the like.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master

And another oft-asked question.

My mass-reloading is done w/ either a Dillon or Quick-Measure, while low-volume reloading is done w/ an old, Hollywood drum-type. All are up to the task w/ whatever powder I use.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

Boolit Master

And another oft-asked question.

My mass-reloading is done w/ either a Dillon or Quick-Measure. Low-volume reloading is done w/ an old, Hollywood drum-type or a B&M clone. All are up to the task w/ whatever powder I use.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

My primary measure is a late 50's Hollywood micrometer adjustable. I also have 11 Lyman 55 that cover the entire production range under Lyman ownership. Also have a RCBS Little Dandy. None have given me problems with Unique, or any other powder for that matter.

A few years back, I bought a powder measure weight on Ebay for the Lyman 55s and LD. I also modified one to use in the Hollywood. These things do marvels for the charge to charge consistency. BTW...I keep the Lyman 55s adjusted to one particular charge of Bullseye, Unique and 2400.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails powder measure weight (480x640).jpg  
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

I've used a Lyman Acculine Pistol Powder Measure and an Ohaus Duo Measure for years. Solved bridging problems years ago for both with one cheap and easy solution. Bought some small vibrator motors, the type used in pagers, cell phones, and umm other "toys" if you catch my drift. Hooked it up to a switch to control the speed and an old wall wart A/C adapter that I had no clue what it powered and probably went in the trash years before. It's simple, attach the vibrator motor somewhere on the metal base of the powder measure with a rubber band, plug it in and adjust the speed. I set the speed to where it settles the powder and doesn't make such a racket that it annoys me. Whole thing cost me less than $15.00 if that and I've still got two spare motors. I thought I had a picture handy but can't find it, I'll take one tomorrow.

These look pretty much exactly like what I use and still as cheap.

tatoko 2pcs 12V 18000RPM High Speed Micro DC Vibration Motor for RC Toy $10.99
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RPYDCRM/

Mini 5A PWM Max 90W DC Motor Speed Controller Module 3V-35V Speed Control Switch LED Dimmer (Pack of 3pcs) $10.39
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B086XHKFGN

I bought one of the new Lyman Brass Smith powder measures a year ago after reading lots of reviews about how great it works with different powders and seeing it on sale for $45.00 but I haven't set it up yet.

I have 2 Culvers picked up at garage sale for 25.00
    1 old redding Brown has the powder dial on the side
    4 uniflos
    8 dillon
    For dead nuts accuracy the culvers and old brown redding throw incredibly accurate charges

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12