RepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyLoad DataTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A2 site gas tube roll pin issue

Boolit Bub

A2 site gas tube roll pin issue

I'm having a tough time getting out what should be easy. I have an old colt AR that I wanted to snug up the barrel nut on. The barrel can be move a little by rotating it. Which then can throw off the front sight. Its just open sights standard M4 A2 front sight and old fashion carrying handle.

Rather than remove the entire sight I though just punch out the pin holding the gas tube to the front sight. Easy right? Wrong.

Unlike most A2 sights this one did not have the pin flush on both sides more like counter sunk 1/8" or so. So using 3 different 1/16" punches one starret and two other roll pin punches I tried to punch it out. Just ended up with 3 bent punches. Used oil lube etc. I'm almost thinking there was never a pin in there and like someone put a gas tube in without that drilled hole that the pin goes through to secure it. Is this possible? I can't pull it out so something is holding it.

Its not a new gun its probably 30 years old. It works fine except for barrel being a little loose, if you grab the barrel you can twist it side to side stopped by the front barrel pin. Which to me means that snugging up the barrel nut might be all it needs.

Can this be hand drilled out and just put a new roll pin in?

Or I guess I could take the entire front sight off which might not be that easy either.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a2 front sight pin1.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	78.2 KB 
ID:	299867

Name:	2f5f0d4ce3.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	54.5 KB 
ID:	299866
    Last edited by BobbyJ; 05-05-2022 at 10:49 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

That looks like a solid pin with the end flared by a staking. Just a touch with a drill to knock off the flared end should work.

ETA: if it truly is a roll pin, don’t try to drill it.
    Last edited by imashooter2; 05-05-2022 at 10:51 PM.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Grand Master

Also take one of those bent punches and cut it short, maybe 1/8 inch before the taper to the handle. Use that to start the pin moving, then after it breaks free, use a standard length punch to finish it.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

Boolit Grand Master
    Also soak the bejabbers out of everything with your favorite snake oil before trying to remove the gas tube. If it has been there for thirty years, it is probably caked with carbon and will not want to come out.

Trust me, you do not want to try getting the front half of a gas tube out after it has broken at the pin hole.

Robert

Boolit Grand Master

It begins to seem driving out the taper pins and removing the entire sight base is the safer and easier path.

Boolit Grand Master

A lot seem to think any and all pins need locktite on them also. You may need to heat it some.

That appears to be a solid pin and may be a hardened dowel pin. Driving out the tapered pin and removing the sight and tube together may be easiest. Once its iff it will be easier to get a solid base to remove that pin

Boolit Master
    Excellent advise above about making short starter punch! Also a quick spin after cut to put very SLIGHT radius on new edge to break corner will prevent gouging in ID. I thought everybody at this point would have two or three of those crooked 1/16" punches and had made starters. An extra set of hands to hold rifle and a good solid foundation to drive against would be a nice touch. One never knows how much the other knows in this online thread game, but several things can be found with a "wiggler" front end and with several scenarios getting there on that platform. The 35-80 ft. lbs. window sometimes just doesn't work out with given stack up, over tightening possibly opening up slot then backing off to hole that works is one. I have seen some things from the big names and the individual assemblers that are head shakers. When you get your pin and tube out and if not deep into this platform with something not obvious found give a shout out, I am sure there is a experienced sounding board here on this forum to help.

Boolit Mold
    I would just pop out the front sight pins and pull the whole assembly off but if you're determined to get it out heat is your friend. Not so hot that you might ruin the temper but 5-10 seconds with a blow torch will likely help a lot. Almost always when I have a stuck pin or something similar a little heat solves the issue. If that doesn't work you might have to carefully drill it out.
    edit: with a closer look it does indeed look like someone used a solid pin and peened it to stake it in place like imashooter2 already stated. His advice might be a good option also.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks guys! Been busy not tried it since, waiting for a return (Someone always borrows me stuff) of my grinder so I can cut off one of my bent punches and give it another go.
    Going to try to some new wonder penatration oil called "Free All " not getting my hopes up.

Then I have to decide to drill it out vs just taking the sight off, crushwasher. I've heard those A2 taper pins can be a pain getting out too.

Boolit Grand Master

Start the Kroil soak on the taper pins today same with the tube pin. A day is better than an hour, a week better than a day. Renew the oil regularly, you want it wet. Short blows with a heavy hammer are best for the taper pins. I favor a 3 pound drilling hammer with the sight base on a wood block. Brace or have an assistant hold it so the pins are solidly backed up by the wood.

Boolit Master
    An observation from the past is I have also encountered the base pins being peened on backside. Over cut of taper reamer or intentional, much pin on backside was then flattened out. The "tail" was removed by some very careful grinding and a big enough hammer to move it through expansion that had occurred below surface level. Some were found so deep they were set on mill and drilled for .125" split pins. Then you may find if inclined that after removal of the base assembly where the holes transition it has scratched the poo out of barrel exterior twisting and pulling it off. Still in the beat the pin out camp from this side of the computer, if new split pin found not too loose install and stake and move on.

Boolit Bub
    Just a follow up. On the Roll punch from hell.
    I gave up on it for a few months. today I went to buddies house who has nice wood working shop. I put a 1/16" drill bit in his press. Put some 10-30 penzoil in the roll pin hole and drilled away. Punched right though and the tube still would not come out. Tried to pound it with a down rod from the bolt carrier end to loosen it but it would not move forward at all (Probably was already at the end of the A2 gas block end.

I was about to just cut it out. So put a pair of vice grips on the gase tube where it meets the A2 Gas block (Thinking it would crush the tube) Turns out those tubes are pretty strong did not crush it. Just rotated the vice grips back and forth and it finally budged. OMG was like finally and pulled it out.

Looked at the gas tube and it had two holes drilled it. The hole we drilled out 1/16" and one maybe 1/8' down from it with a smaller hole 1/32" My bit nor punch would fit it so it was there before hand.
    Take a look at the gas tube. I can't understand why that extra hole was even there as its too small for a roll pin and is the wrong spot if you want the gas port lined up.

Name:	gas tube out two holes.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	25.8 KB 
ID:	304670

Also, does anyone know why they cut in the circular ring cut in the tube that saddle each side of the roll pin hole? I think it can be reused even with the extra hole.
    Last edited by BobbyJ; 09-19-2022 at 03:21 AM.

Congrats on getting the pin out. The gas tube is a tube with a small rod crimped in the end to block it off and give you something solid to pin into. Those two grooves are the crimp marks. Don't know why it has the other hole other than a defect.

Boolit Master
    I have ruffled the feathers of more than one "COLT FAN BOY" over the years telling him this or that was sub-par. Probably the contractors stoner nephew on a Friday afternoon part.
    Well, now that we can order a new tube for that, what's going on with barrel extension in upper and timing of nut?

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Gtek View Post
    I have ruffled the feathers of more than one "COLT FAN BOY" over the years telling him this or that was sub-par. Probably the contractors stoner nephew on a Friday afternoon part.
    Well, now that we can order a new tube for that, what's going on with barrel extension in upper and timing of nut?
    I might just use that gas tube again that extra hole drilled in it does not seem to hurt anything.

On the barrel while it shot fine the actual barrel nut was probably at 0 to 1 pounds of torque. I could take it off by hand. Even with low torque the fit was fine and actually felt tight. You would never notice shooting or handling gun. Only if you tried to rotate the barell would you notice you got roate it like 1 deg back and forth with the barrel indexing pin preventing further movement. The gas tube prevented it from unscrewing any further.

So it seems they can function from 0 pounds to 80 pounds of barrel nut torque.

I doubt that barrel nut was ever torqued to 30+ pounds. The gas tube prevents any rotation of the barrel nut.

Wonder what the ft pounds per gas key opening is on average.

Gas tube lined up = 0 ft pounds of torque
    Gas tube at next opening = ? ft pounds

I read some people cant line them up and end up going past 80 pounds. I don't see how that is possible unless their starting slot is like 40 pounds and the next gas tube slot is 41 pounds higher.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Gtek View Post
    Yea as long as you have people building them I would expect some "Built on a Friday" But I can't blame Colt because I bought it at a Gun show and I think they maybe have pulled it apart. Since it was not directly from a retailer or factory I don't really know its true history. People like to tear things apart for many reasons. I also have two newer 6920s and they have no defects or issues except one has feed ramps which I consider a bit on the rough side.
    I have Aeros too, I just like that old fashion A2 (No rail) with A2 stock. I went more for the Retro Look than brand name.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Moleman- View Post
    Congrats on getting the pin out. Don't know why it has the other hole other than a defect.
    Its not a defect as in a imperfection in the metal. Its an actual hole drilled all the way through but with a bit smaller than 1/16".

So someone purposefully drilled that hole. The only thing I can think of is There is some uppers that have a pin in a non mill spec area and they tried to use that gas tube and failed. Why would a factory drill a useless hole through a gas tube? Would take a bit they never use for gas tubes and some idiot to drill it the the wrong spot. Just really weird.

No idea on the extra hole then. I have run across two factory DPMS rifles that had the barrel extension come loose when the owners were tighening up the barrel/handguard nut after putting FF tubes on them. The extensions hadn't been corectly torqued from the factory so they didn't need much beans to put them back in place and secure them with rocksett and a longer index pin set just below minor dia of the barrel threads.

Boolit Grand Master
    While you could possibly reuse that gas tube, with as cheap as they are and the fact that it has a couple of issues (the extra hole and more importantly to me the deformation of the tube) I would use a new one.

The extra hole would be blocked anyway and has caused you no issues in the past. The bend/ crimped section may be a weak spot and cause it to break.

Robert

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    While you could possibly reuse that gas tube, with as cheap as they are and the fact that it has a couple of issues (the extra hole and more importantly to me the deformation of the tube) I would use a new one.

The extra hole would be blocked anyway and has caused you no issues in the past. The bend/ crimped section may be a weak spot and cause it to break.

Robert
    I was thinking of that too. It is like 15,000 psi, you are probably right best to buy a new one.

Why would the bend in the tube be a weak spot? They come pre bent from the factory I thought. Do you mean they wear out with time and burst at the bend?
    Last edited by BobbyJ; 09-20-2022 at 06:51 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast