RepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee Precision
Load Data Reloading Everything

Thread: Getting creases on the shoulder of 219 Donaldson from 30-30

Boolit Buddy

Getting creases on the shoulder of 219 Donaldson from 30-30

I’m thinking perhaps annealing after Form Die #2 and before running them through the FL size die w/guts out of it.

If they were lube dents, they really don’t bother me, but I know where they come from and just make sure I use less lube. I’m concerned these will split. They aren’t dents, they are creases.

This is a first for me to see these creases. The brass in once fired Winchester 30-30

I use a CH Form Die #0, CH Form Die #1, then RCBS Form Die #2, then CH Form Die #2 then FL size them. Then cut the necks off and run the cases through the annealing machine before running them through the RCBS FL Size Die with the decapping rod and expander ball back in it.

I have RCBS Form Die #1 and Form Trim that I don’t use.

Boolit Grand Master

Creases in the neck usually are a result of a deficiency in the mouth of the cartridge. If you have a divot or any imperfection in the mouth of the case it will become a crease.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Buddy
    Necks are fine, the creases are on the shoulders.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JDHasty View Post
    I’m thinking perhaps annealing after Form Die #2 and before running them through the FL size die w/guts out of it.

If they were lube dents, they really don’t bother me, but I know where they come from and just make sure I use less lube. I’m concerned these will split. They aren’t dents, they are creases.
    I assume you mean tiny longitudinal stress creases in the shoulders; that's not uncommon in major reforming.

When do your creases show up? I mean after what step in the reforming process, after the use of which of your dies, do the creases appear?

Boolit Buddy
    After CH Form Die #2 the creases aren’t there and after FL pass they are.

I set the CH Form Die #2 a bit deeper and checked it with my Wilson Case Gauge to make sure I was still good on the shoulder and then put them through the FL Die and they are all but gone now. Totally acceptable and what I am used to seeing. Earlier today they were very pronounced. I got a couple bad ones, sixty are good cases though.

I’ve got a few to set up the annealing machine with though, so all is not lost.

This was a new one for me.

Boolit Master
    I think that you are on the right track. I've made those going down to 225 from 30-30 and 25-35. Annealing will make that transition smoother. I also began 1/8 handle pull advances into the sizing die then turning 1/4 turn while making the brass - helps me a ton. I have made thousands of 219 Zipper and 225 Winchester that way.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

If the necks are good and the shoulder is creased it could be too much lube.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle