RepackboxWidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingLoad DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: bullets for 35 Remington

Moderator Emeritus

I shoot the Saeco 352 @ 245 gr and it groups well. I am trying out a 200 gr Saeco 356 but it cast small so see what happens with powder coating.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Banned
    i use a 35/30-30 (sorta 35 rem little brother) and 200gr RCBS fn gc.

Quote Originally Posted by fatnhappy View Post
    Am I the only one using the SAECO 356?

That looks like the one I buy from MattsBullets

Boolit Bub
    My Uncle Larry worked a lot of overtime as a diesel mechanic for a trucking company. He used his extra money to fund Canadian hunts during the 1960's for moose, bears, and deer. During these years he downed much game with his Marlin 35 with the long 24 inch barrel and 2-7X Redfield scope. No animals got away after a solid chest hit with 200 grain Core-lokt ammunition. He kindly shared much meat with our family. Amazingly, he gifted this rifle to me from his estate after he died several years ago. I've found it to be ideal for wild hogs and deer. - TR

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Marlin 336A  35 Rem.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	47.1 KB 
ID:	300410

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by todd9.3x57 View Post
    i use a 35/30-30 (sorta 35 rem little brother) and 200gr RCBS fn gc.
    I have older 336 action and I like the idea of the 35-30 cartridge. Long neck and many bullet choices. Can you tell more of your experiences with this cartridge?

Quote Originally Posted by fatnhappy View Post
    Am I the only one using the SAECO 356?

Got #352 but not #356. Was thinking about trying to paper patch it in the 9.3x74R.
    About ready to crank back up on .35 Remington.
    In the fun box are the LBT 190 grain gas checked WFN, the 195 grain #358430, the Lee and the RCBS 200 grainers. Figuring that if one of 200 grainers work then maybe it will get hollow pointed.

Also have a heavy spire point mold and a clone of the old #35809 but don't expect trying them in the lever action; they're for paper patching in the 9.3.

The Lee 200 grainer is a little smaller diameter than I'd hoped, falling out at .358".

Quote Originally Posted by 35 Rem View Post
    I know you already bought your mold but for others who might read this I'll offer my experience with Accurate mold 36-200A. It shoots great in my Marlin 336 in 35 Remington BUT it did have one problem in that it jams into the rifling hard if you crimp in the groove as intended. My work around for that was to trim my cases .010 under the minimum length. The front band still kisses the rifling enough to leave marks but the lever closes all the way easily and you can extract a loaded round with no issues. Accurate now offers a variation on the design called the 36-200AS with the front band shortened by .020 for short throats. That should make it work perfectly with standard length cases.

Since Accurate molds can be customized, I had mine made to drop .359 bullets using my alloy since my rifle slugged at .3575.

The larger than normal meplate makes a loud thump that sounds more like a brick hitting a deer than a mere bullet and kills great. I load mine to 2,050 ft/sec using 50/50 Clip on WW and pure lead with 2% tin added with of course a gas check installed. It's an honest 1 moa load in a handy woods rifle that's easy to carry and fast to the shoulder. I can get about 100 shots before accuracy starts to deteriorate.

https://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet...bullet=36-200A

https://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet...ullet=36-200AS
    I know you’ve mentioned the jamming into the lands issue with the rcbs 200. I’ve experienced same issue when seated to crimp groove in my model 141. I just seated Draper and worked up slowly. Had decent results. I am trying the crimp groove again with my new marlin 35. I am wondering how all the other folks faired with this same bullet in their marlin?

I have and use the RCBS 35-200, and Lee's clone, I powder coat 'em, and
    Both work well in my 3 rifles.

RP

Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care".

Well I finally got my answer to my question. I can use the 358-200 Lee clone powder coated and seated to crimp groove in my Marlin 336 just fine. If shooting from the Remington 141 I have to seat the PC bullet to the top edge of the front driving band. If i Alox lube then I can seat back into crimp groove. Looks as if the Alox gives similar results at around 2000 fps. I just don’t like the mess of Alox. And then I have to clean each tip after seating so they don’t collect dust and dirt.

Boolit Master
    This is the castboolit forum I know, but for .35 remington can one use .357 revolver and .355 9mm jacketed pistol bullets in it for plinking loads? Has anyone here tried it?

Fired many hundreds of cast pistol bullets thru Dad's 336. Still have some loaded to about 800 fps in the can. If the Marlin was my only rifle, (which it once was) those would be small game loads. Never even bothered with metal patched, but they would work if loaded to design velocities.

.355 is way too small for a Microgroove Marlin, even if metal patched.
    Cognitive Dissident

I have not tried but have read on various forums that people have used 158 grain .357’s but accuracy may not be great. I doubt 9mm bullets will perform well at all. But heck, give it a try and let us know.

Boolit Master

I have all the molds suggested plus variants from different manufacturers and HANDS DOWN I prefer the MP 200 & 220 molds. They are just that much superior.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

My go to cast in 35s is the 200g RCBS plain base PCed for handguns and rifles both, from 38 Spl in a 357 to a 35 Whelen or 350 RM. I use various powders
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by mkj4him View Post
    I have not tried but have read on various forums that people have used 158 grain .357’s but accuracy may not be great. I doubt 9mm bullets will perform well at all. But heck, give it a try and let us know.
    Sized .360, cast 158 SWC would shoot 2 MOA out of that Marlin, which is about all those rifles are good for. Best were cast quite hard and shot at about 1800 fps.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I like our group buy 200 grain HP. Here's how they do on deer…

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...n-HP-group-buy!

I shot the 3 shot, 100 yard group in my avatar with it. I size mine approx twenty five hundredths over.

Last edited by Tripplebeards; 08-11-2022 at 08:57 PM.

I saw the damage pictures. Amazing. Sadly I don’t have that mold. Can I still get one? I have the Lee close of the rcbs 200 358

I don't have a 35 Rem. rifle. I do have a box of Win. Western, .358, 200gr, power point, copper coated bullets that a guy from work dropped on my desk. I think there's 48 in the box. Free for the cost of a flat rate box to one of you guys. PM me if you're interested.
    Deplorable infidel

Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    I shot the 3 shot, 100 yard group in my avatar with it. I size mine approx twenty five hundredths over.
    I have not tried varget with the 200 yet. What was your starting test load with varget when working up your recipe.
    What is the make and maiden of the HP mold?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast