Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRepackboxLoad Data
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners

Thread: Need Stevens Tip-Up Pstol Gunsmith

Boolit Mold

Need Stevens Tip-Up Pstol Gunsmith

I recently bought at auction, sight unseen, a Stevens Tip-Up Single Shot Target Pistol. The hammer would not lock into cocked position when I first picked up the gun, but after playing with it it a bit, it began to catch and hold.

It had, however, an extremely light, hair-trigger trigger pull, and I was looking to try to adjust it. I removed the grips and found no adjustment. I fiddled with the screw by the trigger, and No, that did nothing. So, I decided to look inside. I assumed that if I removed the four screws, I could lift off the side-plate and get at the gun's internal works.

I was mistaken. There was no sideplate. It has a solid frame. The two rear screws actually simply held in place the trigger and the hammer. Once I unscrewed the bottom one, the trigger simply fell out. I see nothing to adjust.

Then, of course, I tried putting them back. Easier said than done. I think that cannot be done without first removing a spring. Basically, I need a gunsmith. Embarrassing, but true.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	19.9 KB 
ID:	299848

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Sounds like a project that John Taylor would enjoy. He is a regular here. Send him a PM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    Episodes like these are what must occur in order to achieve “experience.” Everybody goes through it.

You might try loosening the screw that holds the spring down a turn or two, without taking it out. It will keep the spring in place, but it should be “floppy” enough to get the trigger underneath it, with the screw holes indexed. Push the screw in, tighten it down, and then retighten the spring screw.

Looks like your Stevens pistol was owned by a serious target shooter, from the look of the fancy grips, the sight and the overall good condition of the metal. If he did a good trigger job, the sears should just need scrubbing with a toothbrush and re-oiling with gun or sewing machine oil.

Boolit Mold
    Unfortunately, the screw is perpendicular to the frame openings in the grip. I'd need a right-angled screwdriver.

Boolit Mold
    What do you know? Amazon sells offset screwdrivers!

Boolit Master
    Those hex screwdriver bits can be used in a box or ratchet wrench to loosen such screws. I found a 1/4” ratchet wrench and used it on a lubrisizer for a while before finding the correct factory wrench. Been using the replacement and bits for screws in tight places ever since.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by JD Zincavage View Post
    What do you know? Amazon sells offset screwdrivers!
    Over the years I seem to have acquired a few. They do come in very handy at times. Good luck.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    Sounds like a project that John Taylor would enjoy. He is a regular here. Send him a PM.
    Thanks. I found him and PM'd him. and I'll be shipping him the gun.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Bent Ramrod View Post
    Those hex screwdriver bits can be used in a box or ratchet wrench to loosen such screws. I found a 1/4” ratchet wrench and used it on a lubrisizer for a while before finding the correct factory wrench. Been using the replacement and bits for screws in tight places ever since.
    I should have thought of that. I'm dumb!!