Snyders JerkyWidenersRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
RepackboxInline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Titan Reloading
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Married three months...no more guns

Boolit Grand Master
    I have received good advice from a member here that has made me realize my relationship with my son is more important than whether he keeps his guns or if he has a set of testicles.

My son is old enough to run his life as he sees fit. I do not have to agree with his choices, and it is wrong for me to impose my perspectives.

I have failed to raise him with my values wrt gun ownership and political beliefs. But it is what it is.

I will hold on to his guns for a reasonable period of time in case things change and start selling the bulk of the stuff he would have inherited.

BTW, I agree with the "hard liners" who have posted their opinions. I would never allow a woman to control me like that. I believe my son and his wife have a strong religious commitment that will help their marriage, so the chances of divorce are minimal at this point. If I push too hard, I will alienate them. If they have children, I would not see my grandkids much if at all.
    Don Verna

I wonder if this started with DIL taking to one of her friends about kids and the "dangers of guns in the house" when kids come along.

I hope Don holds on to the Kimber in case things turn around. But I agree with what Don just posted.
    Last edited by pmer; 05-07-2022 at 07:59 AM. Reason: just posted
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobade View Post
    There is a popular meme for just this situation but dealing with motorcycles.
    "Honey, I don't want you to buy any more motorcycles."
    "Wow, you are starting to sound like my ex wife."
    "I didn't think you had been married before."
    "I haven't."
    well said
    great way to handle that
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

If he thinks his wife is worth giving up his hobby, I don't think there is anything wrong with it. Also, voting Democrats is something they need to decide on on their own and it - in my books - does not make somebody a bad person if they have a different opinion than me. Family relationships are just more important than firearms or political opinions. Voting habit as well as stance towards firearms may change, family bonds (should) stay forever.
    NRA Certified Instructor Pistol
    NRA Certified Instructor Metallic Cartridge Reloading
    NRA Certified Instructor Shotshell Reloading
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    NRA Life member
    www.primercatcher.com

Yeah, I'd just sell it all off.. If he's brought them back and doesn't seem to have any regrets, then they are totally gone.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    A friend told me to stay married you shouldn't fight about anything important. He was a marriage counselor.

Another said he wore the pants in the family but his wife told him which ones to put on. He was a judge.

Boolit Grand Master
    I sent my son an email this morning. Due to his faith, he will not be able to read it until late tonight.

I have suggested I keep his guns for three years in case he changes his mind. If he decides he wants to cash out the guns/scopes now, I will sell them and give him the proceeds. I will keep the Kimber I gave him on his 21st BD and the customized 10/22 I built for his mentally challenged brother for his 16th BD (my older son was holding it for him). I will give him fair market value for the .45 and if my mentally challenged son does not want the 10/22 I will give him what it is worth. Those two guns mean too much to me to sell. (This after I decided to get out of .45's and sold my two Kimbers a short while ago....fate does throw us curve balls...LOL)

I had already decided to give my fiancé a few more guns to round out her self-defense and recreational shooting needs. If her grandkids have an interest in guns, they will get a few as they get older. The rest of the guns I was holding as his legacy will be sold, as well as other stuff I have accumulated over the years.

I have been thinning the herd for a while. Now I have more crap to sell. It is sad that what I thought was valuable, and would be appreciated, is considered useless and a PITA.

And to think I was feeling a bit guilty about selling over 100k primers last year. I have been waiting for prices to return to normal and stock back up so my son would have a good supply of stuff when I passed on. Not going to be an issue anymore.

My good friend and trap shooting buddy is already benefiting. He wants about $5k of my shotgun components. I plan to visit him in MN at the beginning of June if my little heart procedure goes well next week. He was one of the men who brought me to Christ. He is getting a good deal.
    Don Verna

I would not give up. I have taken women who are liberal democrat lawyers shooting. They had a great time.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    Some where in our growing up period we all make the choice of whether we will rule our self or let someone rule us. It is our choice as it should be and we should be willing and able to live with our decisions. Both of my sons have made choices that I don't like but at this point I have to stand by and watch. I believe that you have come to a reasonable decision but, it's not my decision to make. I hope the best outcome for you and your family. Good luck.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by beechbum444 View Post
    i can honestly say that i do not know the ins and outs of "Strict Orthodox Jews"…… In being that it seems to be an older part of the Jewish faith, one could deduce in like old times and new times, the man is the head of the house and has the final say in house hold manners,
    I can’t speak to the ‘older part of Jewish faith’ but in my experience the Jewish wife is by far the more dominant in family affairs. My ex was Jewish, she didn’t fit the mold but her mother and grandmothers did keep their men on a short lease. Not saying this is a fact but starting from an early age females got the ‘princess treatment’ and that amount of deference is bound to have a lasting effect.
    In Judaism descent is traced through the maternal line, especially when the husband is not Jewish. From a preference standpoint, all but one of the ex’s uncles married gentiles. Again, I’m not being judgmental about the customs of others.

My wife of 36 years was neither political or constitutional when we met. She is hard core conservative now. Has no interest in hunting but is more than ready to defend her family. A winner in my book.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    I sent my son an email this morning. Due to his faith, he will not be able to read it until late tonight.

I have suggested I keep his guns for three years in case he changes his mind. If he decides he wants to cash out the guns/scopes now, I will sell them and give him the proceeds. I will keep the Kimber I gave him on his 21st BD and the customized 10/22 I built for his mentally challenged brother for his 16th BD (my older son was holding it for him). I will give him fair market value for the .45 and if my mentally challenged son does not want the 10/22 I will give him what it is worth. Those two guns mean too much to me to sell. (This after I decided to get out of .45's and sold my two Kimbers a short while ago....fate does throw us curve balls...LOL)

I had already decided to give my fiancé a few more guns to round out her self-defense and recreational shooting needs. If her grandkids have an interest in guns, they will get a few as they get older. The rest of the guns I was holding as his legacy will be sold, as well as other stuff I have accumulated over the years.

I have been thinning the herd for a while. Now I have more crap to sell. It is sad that what I thought was valuable, and would be appreciated, is considered useless and a PITA.

And to think I was feeling a bit guilty about selling over 100k primers last year. I have been waiting for prices to return to normal and stock back up so my son would have a good supply of stuff when I passed on. Not going to be an issue anymore.

My good friend and trap shooting buddy is already benefiting. He wants about $5k of my shotgun components. I plan to visit him in MN at the beginning of June if my little heart procedure goes well next week. He was one of the men who brought me to Christ. He is getting a good deal.
    Sound like as a father you are doing as much as you can to respects and value his view. As a son he is not showing you the same. What part of MN are you going to be visting"
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Don, I will not try to give you any advice.
    To me guns are a big portion of my life, but in the grand scheme of things, not so much.
    I do hope everything turns out ok with you and your son.
    You may enjoy your guns and you may enjoy a great relationship with your son and his new wife.
    The two may never mix, but that is life.
    If you must keep them separate, so be it.
    Good Luck.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    I have received good advice from a member here that has made me realize my relationship with my son is more important than whether he keeps his guns or if he has a set of testicles.

My son is old enough to run his life as he sees fit. I do not have to agree with his choices, and it is wrong for me to impose my perspectives.

I have failed to raise him with my values wrt gun ownership and political beliefs. But it is what it is.

I will hold on to his guns for a reasonable period of time in case things change and start selling the bulk of the stuff he would have inherited.

BTW, I agree with the "hard liners" who have posted their opinions. I would never allow a woman to control me like that. I believe my son and his wife have a strong religious commitment that will help their marriage, so the chances of divorce are minimal at this point. If I push too hard, I will alienate them. If they have children, I would not see my grandkids much if at all.
    Understood, you have to consider, down the road, those grandkids (and your son) will not be allowed to VISIT YOU because you have guns.
    jmo,
    Size/Prime a few cases when starting off with a progressive and put them aside. You can plug them back into the process when a bad/odd case screws up in the priming station and continue loading.

Boolit Master

Kenstone nailed it!!!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Kenstone View Post
    Understood, you have to consider, down the road, those grandkids (and your son) will not be allowed to VISIT YOU because you have guns.
    jmo,
    My first cousin went down that path. He owned a couple of guns and enjoyed them until he married a Jewish lady. We were always very close but she would not let him or their kids come over to my house ever.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Quote Originally Posted by sparky45 View Post
    Kenstone nailed it!!!
    So, what exactly are you saying?
    Don should give up his guns?
    In my humble opinion that is not an option at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    My first cousin went down that path. He owned a couple of guns and enjoyed them until he married a Jewish lady. We were always very close but she would not let him or their kids come over to my house ever.
    One would think any Jew at this point in time should know better.

You would assume so, but they don't.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    Sound like as a father you are doing as much as you can to respects and value his view. As a son he is not showing you the same. What part of MN are you going to be visting"
    My buddy bought the place last year. I do not have his address yet but he told me it is on a lake near Duluth.
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    One would think any Jew at this point in time should know better.
    The difference between American and Israeli Jews is amazing. I have a couple of Jewish friends that are very strong 2nd advocates. They are in the minority. At least 90% of the American jews I know are anti-gun libs. The Israeli jews I know are 180 degrees opposite.

Just one example of the American version https://nypost.com/2022/05/06/nyc-je...-ron-desantis/

Same for the resident lib here that voted for Beijing Xiden.

Let's go Brandon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 05-07-2022 at 09:11 PM.

– Amber Veal

- Wayne Dyer

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast