WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackbox
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load DataInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: Married three months...no more guns

Boolit Master
    No guns in the house. Not a problem. Keep them in a safe in the garage. Then when he wants to shoot she can go to the range with him or stay home.

Boolit Buddy
    My wife is a Hoosier farm girl, raised on hog farm. She reminds me regularly she knows what a castrating knife is and how to use it!!

Second date she noticed the handgun in the console and asked if I always had it with me. She was ok with yes. She can shoot, has a 45 Kimber and a nice S&W 642. Carries them regularly.

She is the strongest, most stable person I know, more so than I am. Lets me be myself and laughs at me......all the time....

Don

Boolit Master
    I would keep the guns and never ever marry a woman like that.

Boolit Grand Master

Boy this thread struck a chord. Wife's son was good. Liked shooting but didn't own a gun. Pro NRA and 2cd. Met and married a school teacher born and raised in NY. Talked him into being a teacher, too. Now wont let a gun in the house and voted for Biden. The power of women over men, unless the men have a very strong backbone is immense. Unfortunately, he doesn't
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Nazgul View Post
    My wife is a Hoosier farm girl, raised on hog farm. She reminds me regularly she knows what a castrating knife is and how to use it!!

Second date she noticed the handgun in the console and asked if I always had it with me. She was ok with yes. She can shoot, has a 45 Kimber and a nice S&W 642. Carries them regularly.

She is the strongest, most stable person I know, more so than I am. Lets me be myself and laughs at me......all the time....

Don
    Wife was raised by military lifer, first husband also retired but was never "into" firearms. Met me. The other day after i left for work she was sitting on the couch knitting when the wind blew a door open. She grabbed her Shield and investigated. Keeper
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    Boy this thread struck a chord. Wife's son was good. Liked shooting but didn't own a gun. Pro NRA and 2cd. Met and married a school teacher born and raised in NY. Talked him into being a teacher, too. Now wont let a gun in the house and voted for Biden. The power of women over men, unless the men have a very strong backbone is immense. Unfortunately, he doesn't

I hate to say it, but I have lost friends over stuff like this. Seeing them have to ask for permission in everything he does or every dollar he spends and being told he can't go certain places like Hooters. I just can't seem to keep any respect for them. Don't get me wrong I don't do just anything, anytime like I did when I was single, but I wasn't asked or forced to give up who I was. If I am going to spend a fair amount of money I talk to my wife about it, if some buddy's want to go on a bike ride I ask if she has anything planned. I consider this common courtesy. I was not asked or forced to change for her nor she for me, if we have it is by choice and wanting to make the other happy over the 26 years we have been married.

Boolit Master
    what a skank

I’ve written three responses and deleted all of them……..Oh well, Best of Luck to ya!

Don, I'm saddened to hear your story. But I think that if he's happy, then you should be happy for him. That's all any father could really desire, I should think. Coming from a guy with no kids but I was a kid for a while.

My mother was a Missouri redneck and guns were a significant part of her childhood culture, mostly for bringing food to the table. She is now very anti-gun but doesn't press her views on the rest of her kids, from what I can tell. My father passed over 20 years ago and I think that allowed her to voice her opinions a little more readily.

I also have a sister who is RABIDLY anti-gun. Again, she was raised in a gun culture but I think she works for liberal-minded attorneys and has allowed her narrow anecdotal view of things to cloud her so-called "thinking."

I hope you are able to come to peace over it. Your last post seemed to be very close to where you want to be.

--Wag--
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.

Boolit Grand Master
    Wag, thanks for sharing.

This is the email I sent my son last weekend. He is OK with it:

Vince,

Thank you for not selling the guns you have acquired over the years. Two in particular I wish to keep until I pass. One is the Kimber I gave you for your 21st BD and the other is the 10/22 I built for Matt for his 16th BD. They hold a bit of a sentimental value for me. I will give you $xxxx for the Kimber as I just sold two Kimbers for $xxxx ea. I will talk to Matt about the 10/22 to see if he still wants it. If not, I will keep it and give him $xxx.

I am willing to store the rest of your guns for a reasonable period of time in case you change your mind. I am thinking three years if that is acceptable to you. After that, I would sell them and give you the proceeds. Or I can sell them ASAP and give you the proceeds now if you prefer. It is your call.

I have about $xx,xxx of guns, ammunition and reloading stuff I had bequeathed to you. I realize now this will be a burden instead of a legacy, so I will start divesting most of it. I planned to give Shari a Glock, Kahr, Hi-Point carbine and AR15 to round out her self-defense needs and a .22 rifle for plinking and varmint control. She already owns a 686+ revolver, Ruger .22 pistol and shotgun. If her grandkids show an interest, I will give them a few guns when they are ready.

You will still be left with a bunch of "stuff" to dispose of when I pass. I will try to maintain an inventory so you know what things are worth. Attached in the last inventory of guns and reloading stuff I did a few years ago. I have added some and deleted some since then, but it is a start.

Love
    Dad
    Don Verna

Women from 'Day One' want to be in control. The amount of control differs. As long as they accept the limited amount of control they are allowed, no problem. Whether it is guns, motorcycles, job, what ever.
    Whatever!

Boolit Buddy
    Women marry men thinking they can change them
    Men marry women thinking they will never change

Boolit Buddy
    Hang in there, Don. People do change from time to time. I married a city girl - her parents are/were morons in many ways, good in some others. They were/are anti-firearms. Immigrants that didn't have a clue of what the 2nd Amendment is or why it's so important. But...in their personal lives they were actually pretty conservative people. Religious, Dem's but not too bad of moochers, etc. ALL of this was unknown to me when I married my wife - I should have known, but I didn't investigate enough or dig enough to really find out. I'm glad I didn't.

Fast forward twenty years or so, and my wife has very conservative values. I've been reloading with my kids since they were very small. She knows that I have a more-than-passing interest in all things firearm, and let's me indulge my hobby. I used to take her shooting a little bit when we first started dating, and more after we got married. But nothing much. She's still not what you would call "into shooting," or "into firearms," but those things are by no means frowned upon in our house. And both of my sons earned their first .22 on their last day of Kindergarten, as will my daughter, shortly.

People can change. Don't be an a$$hole (doesn't sound like you are), let sleeping dogs lie for a good long while, and things may just turn out ok for you and your son on this issue.

As far as her telling your son "what he can do," well...that's a whole 'nuther ball of wax. Good luck!

8mmFan

Boolit Master
    I am blessed to have a wife who tolerates my time wasted on firearms, and am able to operate without much oversight of the female unit, although, she does wonder what to do with everything if I kick the bucket, as she doesn't know what I have or where it is. (Note to self, put together a contingency plan for survivers)

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by G W Wade View Post
    She: Now that we are married, you can get rid of all those guns.
    He: Your starting to sound like my ex-wife
    She: I did'nt know you were married before?
    He: Silience GW
    funny how that was not an issue before the legal entranglement best wishes

Boolit Grand Master
    I have a wife like "fixit". She dreads the day she has to go thru my "stuff"!!!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by fixit View Post
    I am blessed to have a wife who tolerates my time wasted on firearms, and am able to operate without much oversight of the female unit, although, she does wonder what to do with everything if I kick the bucket, as she doesn't know what I have or where it is. (Note to self, put together a contingency plan for survivers)
    I'm in that mode right now. I turn 80 in July and my wife is blissfully ignorant of what I have in the shop. The two sons know the important stuff but that is only about half. As soon as I figure out(with help) how to post pictures, I'm going to work on paring down the other half.
    John
    W.TN

One of the better general suggestions I've come across lately is that you should tag all of your guns with a retail value and a "could sell for" value. It's not easy to figure a value anyway and you have to update it all the time, of course. That way, your spouse or heirs at least have an idea. If they sell under the duress of grief, they will at least have an idea of your expectations and try to stay reasonably close to that.

--Wag--
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678