Load DataRepackboxInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Married three months...no more guns

Boolit Master
    Hunting and guns were a consideration, even back in high school. My lady was tested, both for me going off hunting and shooting. My first wife passed the tests. It has been 52 years and she is still my first (and only) wife. We still hunt together. CHOOSE WISELY.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    My son married three months ago. He called me tonight and his liberal wife will not tolerate guns in the house.

Until my son voted for Biden, ...
    Sorry man, I know that has to hurt.

A ship can only have one captain and a home can only have one in charge; anything different will eventually destroy itself. It appears your son has chosen to be second in command of his home and that's not a comfortable place for a man to live; liberal women have souls crying to crush everyone around them. AND, in marriage, it establishes a home where they aren't happy either.

Foul mouth screaming is a second language to most liberal women and they aren't good company. Seems they simply can't have enough power over other people's lives to be happy! (See: "Nancy Pelosi".) Loosing his guns aren't the only lifestyle demand he will get from her.

----------------------------------------------
    Don, it's none of my business, and I don't like divorce, but if a son of mine were in the dark hole (figuratively) your son is in I'd tell him to "RUN AWAY, NOW!" because that hole certainly isn't going to get better with time.

Did he really vote for Biden?

Don, I empathize with your situation. Things turn out as they will, and there isn't much you can do about it. In the meantime, there are probably other ways you can continue your relationship with your son, and possibly build one with your daughter-in-law. I hope this doesn't sound like I'm preaching.

FWIW, a few days before Betsy and I were married (second for both of us) I moved my belongings into her home. This included about five pounds of smokeless gunpowder, boxes of loaded ammunition, and a small arsenal of guns. When she did not object, I knew this one would work. Since then, I have taught her to shoot my .22 pistol, and we sometimes go to the range together with friends. I once infuriated her ex by leaving some of my guns in the living room. I did enjoy that.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fixit View Post
    Not saying she is, though considering what's visible from this angle I wouldn't be surprised, but many, or most, women will use sex to control their husbands.
    When the urge to copulate becomes overwhelming he'd be better off to slam it in a door instead!
    Literacy should not be considered optional in computer based communication.

Boolit Master
    They better find someone to talk to about marriage not related to either as I would say it will be divorce time or two people hating each other or both.

Boolit Master
    As for identifying who would make a good match and how to prevent the sometimes Jekyl/Hyde transformation which makes one wonder who this person actually is, I have no confidence in anything but prayer for guidance and spending enough time with them to get past their "public face" that's all sugar-and-spice-and-everything-nice. And questioning my own proclivities in that regard. There have been time when I surprised myself with my own responses to someone's suggestions. She wanted to "discover" her nieces and nephews Easter baskets "for them" and I felt like the universe had been violated. Seemed like insulting the kids to me.

As someone else mentioned, experience removes the black magic voodoo and mystery more often than not
    Indeed! An introduction broken down in manageable stages for those whose only exposure is having been steeped in the MSM cool-aid about guns goes a long way toward doing away with delusional misconceptions about what they are and are capable of. Once the newly-introduced know enough to see that they are safely being instructed, the new confidence paves the way for more knowledge - and the former "certainty" of pain, destruction, carnage and death begin to evaporate while wary curiosity generally begins to show.

I went out with a gal once who proudly stated, "There will NEVER be a gun in my house!" She was one who I never got the opportunity to test the educational waters with, but I got the impression that her attitude was pretty much etched in stone. That looked like the writing on the wall and there were other issues of concern, so our association was allowed to pass into history. There were a number of others, though, who took to learning to shoot with great enthusiasm once they got safety down. One small woman pronounced the 1911 as her favorite. Did pretty well with it, too. Another gal, a Mennonite had been taught that guns are the tools of the devil! No joy is to be taken in any association with them! And here she was, sponsoring a group of Boy Scouts in a visit to Friendship where I was assisting in teaching ML safety and shooting on the off-hand line. Very concerned that the Scouts were enthusiastically enjoying themselves, and then she tried it herself. She was off to the races after she put a few holes in the target herself and that smile of "new discovery" was plain. Still said she felt a little guilty about enjoying it so much. . . . Too bad she was already spoken for.
    Last edited by yeahbub; 05-06-2022 at 01:02 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Hate to give advice. They can live the life they want. Well, at least until thugs enter their home w/ evil intent. I teach firearm safety kids at a local boys & girls camp along with muzzleloading. They all have to sit through my safety stuff which includes the thought that they don't have to like guns, but they do have to know gun safety. Whether it's a gun in their house, a house of a friend, a party, some other gathering, guns are a reality, pure and simple. Guns are around and they need to know how to be around guns. Almost without exception, after the lecture stops and the range begins, they all start having fun. I just hope something along those lines can/will apply to the closed minded you are dealing with.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have drafted a letter and sent it to a gentleman I respect on this forum for comments and suggestions.

I have a sizable inventory of stuff I had planned to bequeath to my son. I will be liquidating most of it. It would be a PITA for my son to dispose of as we live over 200 miles apart. Most of the guns will go on Gunbroker but the other things will get posted here or on eBay.

Funny thing. I realized I was justifying keeping a lot of stuff thinking it would be a legacy to be appreciated when I finally "went home". Now I fear it will be sold for $.25 on the dollar just to get rid of the "junk".

As to the chances of his marriage succeeding, way too early to tell. I know a guy who is completely controlled by his wife of 40+ years and he says he is happy. Some men are like that, and it works for them.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    ... I know a guy who is completely controlled by his wife of 40+ years and he says he is happy. Some men are like that, and it works for them.
    40 years of emasculation and he claims to be "happy"? I've known several men like that but not many and they lied about other things too. But the pulling power of pubic hair cannot be denied.

Boolit Master
    ... I know a guy who is completely controlled by his wife of 40+ years and he says he is happy. Some men are like that, and it works for them.
    40 years of emasculation and he claims to be "happy"? I've known several men like that but not many and they lied about other things too. But the whipping power of pubic hair cannot be denied.

Boolit Master
    I would not do anything drastic at this time .... if you were going to sell something before this happened sell it... but

Hold off if you can for 6 months to a year ... then rethink it.

Things Change

I have drafted a letter and sent it to a gentleman I respect on this forum for comments and suggestions.

I have a sizable inventory of stuff I had planned to bequeath to my son. I will be liquidating most of it. It would be a PITA for my son to dispose of as we live over 200 miles apart. Most of the guns will go on Gunbroker but the other things will get posted here or on eBay.

Funny thing. I realized I was justifying keeping a lot of stuff thinking it would be a legacy to be appreciated when I finally "went home". Now I fear it will be sold for $.25 on the dollar just to get rid of the "junk".

As to the chances of his marriage succeeding, way too early to tell. I know a guy who is completely controlled by his wife of 40+ years and he says he is happy. Some men are like that, and it works for them.

Boolit Master

Sorry to hear about your son's troubles; hope things work out for him one way or another.

We are all products of our environment- our ideals are shaped by our friends, coworkers, acquaintances- the voices we listen to and sources we trust. My kids are relatively young yet, and I worry about setting them on the right path in life. I fully realize that there will come a point where they will make their own way and choose their own values and beliefs. My oldest will be 18 later this year, and occasionally talks to my wife and I about various political and social issues. I worry that she is unduly influences in her views by friends, internet, culture as a whole. At least she talks to us about it, so there's still a chance to balance that influence. It's frustrating to think that you've done your very best to raise them right, only to realize that at some point, they will be their own person.

Some time after we were first married (20 years this year), she told me that one of her friends asked her when she was going to make me get rid of my guns. She said that she replied emphatically "WHY would I ever even TRY to do that?!" She let her friend know that that was just about the dumbest thing she'd ever heard. I wouldn't try to force her to change either.

Boolit Buddy
    If your son voted for Biden, he's lost anyway. It'd be one thing if we were talking about a moderate democrat, but gun control was part of his platform. No self respecting gun owner voted for Biden.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by downzero View Post
    If your son voted for Biden, he's lost anyway. It'd be one thing if we were talking about a moderate democrat, but gun control was part of his platform. No self respecting gun owner voted for Biden.
    Agreed but his platform was very anti-American in general. No self-respecting American voted for Biden.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Buddy
    I feel for your son sir. The power of female persuasion can have a powerful influence over a young man. A lot of young men have been rendered temporarily blind. There is a good chance your son will come to his senses though. Hang on to his firearms and the legacy you intend to leave him. In time the “Vudoo Cat” will lose its power of mind control over him and his eyes will open back up.
    Willie

Boolit Master
    He needs to divorce her now instead of waiting far other five years when it will cost him more.
    It’s only going to get worse so might as well break away now.
    East Tennessee

Boolit Master

My first(and last) wife doesn't like guns either. We will have been married 56 years twelve days after my 80th birthday. She only has a comment when the Brown Truck stops in front of the house.

Both sons shoot although only the older hunts. The younger son is a college professor and has already indicated that he wants first dibs on all the milsurps(not an inconsiderable number). One daughter-in-law is not crazy about guns but didn't say anything when I gave the grandsons handguns for Christmas. The other daughter-in-law is considering getting her carry permit.

I can't say that I agree with everything they decide about their lives, but that is their business. I'm glad that when I'm gone, all my gun stuff(except for what I sell before then) will continue to be used.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master
    I got a friend that has hunted his whole life. Used to have the state non-typical state record until recently. His son met his wife at good old liberal UNC-CH. Lots of pics of shiny teeth at frat and sorority parties with a drink in hand. Got married and no guns and after 2 children limited visits to grandpa's house with all the guns. Eventually a divorce happened when the youngest grandkid was in college. Both remarried. The ex-wife now deer hunts with her new husband. Has her own rifle and shotgun. Appears the new husband came equipped with testicles. Grandkids visit grandpa on a regular basis with no issues.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by jsizemore View Post
    I got a friend that has hunted his whole life. Used to have the state non-typical state record until recently. His son met his wife at good old liberal UNC-CH. Lots of pics of shiny teeth at frat and sorority parties with a drink in hand. Got married and no guns and after 2 children limited visits to grandpa's house with all the guns. Eventually a divorce happened when the youngest grandkid was in college. Both remarried. The ex-wife now deer hunts with her new husband. Has her own rifle and shotgun. Appears the new husband came equipped with testicles. Grandkids visit grandpa on a regular basis with no issues.
    I am willing to bet that marriage has a much better chance of surviving. Respect for each other and each others views is the foundation of a good relationship. It's hard for most people to respect someone that can not stand up for themselves. If they won't or can't stand up for themselves they will not stand up for someone else.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by MostlyLeverGuns View Post
    Hunting and guns were a consideration, even back in high school. My lady was tested, both for me going off hunting and shooting. My first wife passed the tests. It has been 52 years and she is still my first (and only) wife. We still hunt together. CHOOSE WISELY.
    What he said young fellas. My Marriage vows were something like this. "Woman, with-it thou go-est [fishing n hunting] & thou shall not weigh more than sir." Big Grin guys, she has a sense of humor. but it holds true. we have been doing the trout fishing thing lately. uncle mike

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast