Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Wideners
Inline FabricationLoad DataRepackboxLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: 357 rem max brass for 357 mag shotshells

Boolit Master

357 rem max brass for 357 mag shotshells

does anyone do this, make snake / rat shot shells out of 357 rem max brass for shooting in a 357 mag?

Boolit Master

I did, just to say I could. Pretty good payload. I'll look for the thread and link it here.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...K7saum+rem+max

Boolit Master
    thanks.

I suggested that a few times, though I’ve never done it…..my .357’s are pretty much retired.

That’s why I went with 444 Marlin Mag brass for my 460 shot shells, case reaches all the way to the cylinder end! More shot payload and no plastic shot capsule! memtb
    You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“LETS GO BRANDON”

Boolit Master

For 357 mag, I have used 223 brass cut to cylinder length and a
    snap ring to allow extraction

https://www.harborfreight.com/300-pi...YaAhbmEALw_wcB
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Buddy
    I use the Max cases, they hold 1/3 oz. of nickel plated #9 shot.

Boolit Bub
    Betwixt the Altamont and Las Trampas in Northern CA
    I’m going to give this a try for my 38 and 357. Matter of fact, I’ve been considering a single action dual cylinder 45 ACP/45 Colt. I’d imagine using the ACP cylinder with reformed 460 brass. Seems like that could maximize what payload could fit in a revolver.

Boolit Bub
    Betwixt the Altamont and Las Trampas in Northern CA
    Quote Originally Posted by skeettx View Post
    For 357 mag, I have used 223 brass cut to cylinder length and a
    snap ring to allow extraction

https://www.harborfreight.com/300-pi...YaAhbmEALw_wcB
    Excellent tip, thanks. Hadn’t thought of this, even though a friend of mine has used .223 to make rimless 357 Max for many years (and neat-o ARs to shoot higher pressure versions of them as well).

Boolit Bub
    I bought 357 max cases and 444 cases to work on loads for my guns.. Got too much to do. So havent got round to it. Maybe now that I decoded to sell the 44 I can concentrate on the 357 loads

Boolit Grand Master
    Some time ago another member used .303 Brit cut down and fire formed to make .44 mag shot shells. Used 10mm sizing die to comport to the reduced cylinder dimension near the mouth of the cylinder. Cut the brass to the full-length of the cylinder (minus a smidge), cards over powder / cards over the shot and Elmer's white glue to seal the load. No roll crimp required.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepe le PewPew View Post
    I’m going to give this a try for my 38 and 357. Matter of fact, I’ve been considering a single action dual cylinder 45 ACP/45 Colt. I’d imagine using the ACP cylinder with reformed 460 brass. Seems like that could maximize what payload could fit in a revolver.
    Years ago I read an article where someone set up a 1917 colt revolver to use 45-70 brass loaded with shot. I guess he did not blowup the gun.

Windy West Texas, between the rocks, and the trees.
    I have been working with the 357 Max case as the parent for a capsule-less 38 shot shell. Here are some tips:

(1) the Max at full length will work in most 38 Specials, and the 357 Magnum. One will need to trim the Max case .063" to get it to fit a Smith Model 36 Chief.

(2) Track of the Wolf sells 36 caliber wads: they are worth every penny! Use the fiber wad over powder.

(3) One will need to custom cut over-shot cards. A 5/16" hole punch works but is a tad tight.

(4) The Lee 300 Blackout full-length sizing die works excellent to bottle-neck the case, and the lower section of the case is just slightly less than the 38 Special max case length of 1.115".

(5) a good roll crimp can be formed with a 222 Remington size die.

Ya'll have fun!
    Rights, and Privileges, are not synonymous. We have the Right to Bear Arms. As soon as the Government mandates firearm registration, and permiting, then that Right becomes a Privilege, and may be taken away at our Master's discretion.