RepackboxRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyWideners
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .22 Mag in a pistol not all you might think

Boolit Master

.22 Mag in a pistol not all you might think

.22 Mag 40 gr. bullets are around 1400 fps from my 6.5" barreled Single Six and the 30 gr. stuff is 1500 to 1600 fps.

.22 long rifle HV stuff with 40 gr. bullets from the same revolver is around 1300 fps and Stingers with 30 gr. bullets are still only 1300 fps.

Just for your info.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Master

OK. Side by side. There is some, but not a lot of difference, though price is roughly double or more for 22WMR. On the one hand, 22LR is popular, WAS inexpensive, and USED TO BE found on most shelves. On the other hand, there's...not a lot to look forward to.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

I was never a .22Mag guy simply because at the distances I shot, the LR was fine.
    Especially once I learned about CCI Stingers and Mini-Mags.
    But I always did think the added horsepower of the .22Mag was more than your findings indicate.

I haven't checked, but the .22Mag might come into its own, and shine a little brighter coming out of a rifle.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

A .22Mag is SIGNIFICANTLY louder than a .22lr also and particularly in a revolver. I've owned both a revolver and a rifle and don't regret selling either one.

Yeah, the stuff I've read said the powder used in the 22 mag, developed best velocity in longer barrels. Would be interesting to see the difference in velocity of both cartridges in a 20" barrel. jd
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

Boolit Master

The 22 mag is a rifle caliber. Only recently makers have loaded it with powders made for shorter barrels. Condemning it for doing as it was designed, because you dont like it in something it wasnt designed for is, well, kinda folly.

The Magnum, when fired in a Rifle, carries twice the power of the LR, fired from same barrel, at 100Yards, then the LR has AT THE MUZZLE!
    Cost is immaterial, do you smoke or drink? Yea that costs more too! We pay for preformance. Always have always will!

But the magnum offers a proper real jacketed bullet.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

While I've used a .22LR rifle for hunting small game for decades, I long ago switched to the .22WMR for a couple of reasons.

* It does bang/flop on small game a lot faster than the LR.

* Allows for the longer shots offered in Winter, after the foliage has dropped from the trees.

* Better at dealing for dealing with some predators (Coyote, Coy-Dog, Fox, etc) - which either happen by, or called in.

I was lucky enough, many years ago, to be able to buy a deceased gunshop owner's entire supply of WMR (100 boxes/50) from his widow for a pittance - that should last me until I go for my Dirt Nap.

My warm weather CC pistol is a convertible, which I carry with the WMR cylinder.

(Top, below - with my Seecamp)

Last edited by pietro; 07-10-2022 at 11:05 AM.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Much different out of a rifle.
    Shootin turtles on the lake, the mag is significantly better on the longer shots.
    Also on coyotes, but at the current prices, I can load 223's cheaper.

RP

Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care".

Boolit Master
    Yes .22 mag. is much better than .22 lr. when shot in a longer barrel. I was not condemning .22 mag. just letting people know what I found out. Factory ballistics are from longer barrels.
    Last edited by dtknowles; 07-10-2022 at 11:25 AM.

Boolit Master

I haven't heard it mentioned yet, But isn't bullet construction a tad heartier than the LR offerings. I know in my 22mag rifles they hit a lot harder than a LR. My steel plates go into orbit and my regular 22LR steel targets gets dented. Even at 100 yards. While the 22LR just knocks them over.
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Electrod47 View Post
    I haven't heard it mentioned yet, But isn't bullet construction a tad heartier than the LR offerings. I know in my 22mag rifles they hit a lot harder than a LR. My steel plates go into orbit and my regular 22LR steel targets gets dented. Even at 100 yards. While the 22LR just knocks them over.
    .22 mag bullets are varied in construction. I have Win. fmj and hollow points with exposed lead and I have CCI that the bullets are copper plated hollow points. I think I saw some ammo with Hornady v-max bullets.

Boolit Master

Yes absolutely I mentioned that in my post.

Only copper was bullet in a 22 Magnum I can think if is the 45g Dyna Point. WRF offered some copper washed (like most all S, L & LR RF.) nearly all 22 Magnums utilize a real jacketed projectile. (Better more consistent preformance)

CW

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I use my .22 magnum High Standard revolver for gophers on my rural property... birdshot of course and the results are amazing and have better results than using my Ruger single six in .22 using birdshot.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dtknowles View Post
    .22 Mag 40 gr. bullets are around 1400 fps from my 6.5" barreled Single Six and the 30 gr. stuff is 1500 to 1600 fps.

.22 long rifle HV stuff with 40 gr. bullets from the same revolver is around 1300 fps and Stingers with 30 gr. bullets are still only 1300 fps.

Just for your info.

Tim
    Tim,
    The only thing that really surprised me was the .22 LR 40 grain velocity from your pistol. It is more like what I expect from a 22 rifle than a handgun speed.

I have thought for a number of years that a .22 Magnum from a handgun was the ballistic equivalent of a .22 Long Rile fired from a rifle.

Robert

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    Tim,
    The only thing that really surprised me was the .22 LR 40 grain velocity from your pistol. It is more like what I expect from a 22 rifle than a handgun speed.

I have thought for a number of years that a .22 Magnum from a handgun was the ballistic equivalent of a .22 Long Rile fired from a rifle.

Robert
    Your thinking is about right. .22 LR seems to be optimized for shorter barrels than .22 Mag. so .22 LR rifle velocities are not much more than pistol velocities.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HV 22.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	19.6 KB 
ID:	301996

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mag 22.png 
Views:	28 
Size:	21.1 KB 
ID:	301997

Tim

Federal Promo Bulk 36 gr HP 22 LR's out of my 3" S&W 317 are same velocity as 22 WMR out of a S&W 351 (1-7/8") 22 WMR's are super loud in a handgun even in a 10" Contender they still sound like a 357.

I was very surprised when I chronographed my 3" S&W; at first I thought I was clocking a shockwave rather than a bullet.

Boolit Master
    Never had much use for a 22mag. If I need more than a 22 lr I just step up to a 22H or 25/20 with cast. Lots cheaper than 22 mag and the 25/20 has a bunch more punch with the 73gr cast at 1950fps. The hornet with cast is about the same as the 22mag except a lot cheaper.

Boolit Master
    There are now short-barrel specific loads of 22mag out there, which supposedly address this issue to some degree.

Hornady makes a defense load under their Critical Defense marque, and Speer sells a Gold Dot load, both optimized for short barrels. Might be worth a try.
    I'm a big fan of data-driven decisions. You want to make me smile, show me a spreadsheet! Extra points for graphs and best-fit predictive equations.

Boolit Master

I figure, correctly, that a 223, single shot, Handi-rifle, lubed, 50 gr. Bator cast, w/GC, or lubed, 55 gr. RCBS 22-55-SP cast, w/GC, is MORE at 2000 fps muzzle velocity (greater if I PC) out to 100 yds., and LESS than $0.15 each from a life-time supply of components gathered before any foreseeable run up in cost or depletion in supply.

I have killed, DRT, a heap of feral hogs out to 25 yds., with one shot in the "X" between eyes and ears, using a rock-solid steady rest and either a stainless Ruger K77/22RP in 22LR, or a 223 Handi-rifle. I have not shot any 22WMR, rifle or pistol. I don't know those.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Buddy
    I fell into a 22mag derringer years ago during some kind of trade deal.
    It needed to be shook out muzzle down after firing to discharge all the unburnt powder,,,otherwise if you werent careful, it would all end up in the breach face and prevent closing the action on another pair of cartridges.
    Never had much use for the mighty magnum rim fire in handguns after that...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast