Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingWidenersLee Precision
RotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Repackbox

Thread: Ithaca 37 choke question

Ithaca 37 choke question

I have a 20 ga.#37 that was my 15th. birthday present. My son was using it on a dove shoot (he was only 12 at the time) & a squib load lodged the wad in the barrel. His next shot split the muzzle about 1 1/2" from the muzzle right through the hole drilled for the front bead. I trimmed it at 26" & never installed a bead. It was used very little after that since it no longer had any choke.

These Ithaca barrels are thin. Briley can install inserts, but they're not cheap. Does anyone know of another choke service that would work on these thin barrels?

I'm old (82) & have nothing against the old Cutts Compensators or Poly-Choke. Is the Cutts or Poly even available?

Any input is appreciated.

Hnery

Boolit Grand Master

You can try Carlson Chokes, I've had them install their chokes in a couple of barrels for me. They are reasonable and do a great job.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Quote Originally Posted by stubshaft View Post
    You can try Carlson Chokes, I've had them install their chokes in a couple of barrels for me. They are reasonable and do a great job.
    Thanks for the info: just what I needed.

Henry

Boolit Master

Try Diamond Gunsmithing in Ithaca, NY. Les, the proprietor, was the lead gunsmith at Ithaca Gun Co. when they were still located there. He's done some work for me and a bunch of the guys that hang out on the Shotgunworld forum. If it can be done, he can do it!

https://diamondgunsmithing.com/
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Quote Originally Posted by centershot View Post
    Try Diamond Gunsmithing in Ithaca, NY. Les, the proprietor, was the lead gunsmith at Ithaca Gun Co. when they were still located there. He's done some work for me and a bunch of the guys that hang out on the Shotgunworld forum. If it can be done, he can do it!

https://diamondgunsmithing.com/
    Thanks for the information: however, I shipped the barrel to Carlson this afternoon. Their price is $100.00 lower than Briley & they have a 3 day turn around.

I'm keeping the information that you sent in the event I have an Ithaca problem in the future.

Henry

Boolit Master
    I've used Briley a couple of times and you are right - they are not cheap but they do really good work. I had them clean up a '97 Winchester barrel for me and also extend the forcing cones on a Husqvarna double. Everything was top notch.

Quote Originally Posted by stubshaft View Post
    stubshaft,
    I want to thank you for that information. As indicated in my entry of 5/4 my barrel was shipped to Carlson on 5/4. Today FedEx delivered my barrel back from Carlson (I can't believe FedEx delivers on Sunday).

I opted for the extended tubes (3) & the total price including shipping and insurance was $287.00. According to Briley's web site their cost for the same options would be $519.00. That's a difference of$232.00.

Carlson also included a sporting clays speed wrench with the conventional wrench.

The Carlson people were top notch & their product is perfect.

Henry

Boolit Grand Master

I've had a couple of barrels choked by Carlsons and have been VERY satisfied with their prices and service. I would not have anyone else do this type of work for me.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master
    I have the same gun
    I installed tru chokes myself in it/ them
    Works fine
    NRA High Master XTC
    DR# 2125

Boolit Master
    I have had true choke thinwalls installed on several of my shotguns. One of those was a 12ga Ithaca 37.

akajun & GBertolet,

TruChoke is located about 55 miles south of me in the small town of Whigham, GA.

I phoned them & they tell me that they no longer fit their chokes & haven't done so for 10 years. Their production, however, is in full swing. They're nice people.

Good to hear from Ithaca 37 owners: "The Best Gun Going".

Boolit Master

Folks should try Mike Orlen
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mike Orlean.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	31.3 KB 
ID:	300512

Boolit Master
    I have the tru choke pattern tooling, I do it myself
    That said, anything shotgun wise I cant to Mike Orlen does for me.
    He is THE MAN.
    NRA High Master XTC
    DR# 2125

Boolit Master
    I have used Mike Orlen recently. One gun a Remchoke, the other an O/U, got True choke thinwalls. $65 to thread a barrel. He is in Amherst MA. What ever choke tubes you want are extra. Usually one day turn around. Call him for a quote, 413-256-1630.

The other Choke System I would recommend is a Cutts Compensator. Here's a pic of my Ithaca M37 made in 1940 that came from the factory with it installed.

They are readily available on eBay, and Briley and others can easily install one. Then you have whatever choke you need. You will want a "Spreader" tube for Skeet, and an IC, and Modified tube for hunting. There are also Full, Extra Full and XX Full tubes available but I doubt you'd ever use them.

The pic below shows the complete set of tubes with the box and wrench. The IC tube is on the gun. Mine is 12 ga. and I also have a Cutts barrel for my Browning A5. They were quite popular back in the day when most people only had one shotgun to hunt with. So it had to do everything.

Randy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100464614.JPG   IMG_1996.JPG  
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Randy,
    Nice looking #37. As my initial post stated, I'd be completely happy with a Cutts Compensator or a Poly Choke (the Cutts looks better).

I'm old also & can remember some folks bought extra barrels, but mine (and yours) are the low numbered ones that had to be sent back to the factory for another barrel to be fitted.

As it is a done deal now I'm happy (should have checked Ebay for a Cutts).