Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Load DataWideners
RepackboxTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Single shot .22 to teach 2 grandkids to shoot

Boolit Master
    CZ scout. As they grow you can add a larger stock. At any time you can replace the single shot adapter for a conventional mag. 11mm dovetail rail milled into the receiver to mount a scope if you like.

Sounds ideal, but do any American standard scope rings fit on that 11mm dovetail? All my .22 scopes have rings for 3/8" dovetail, which would be too small.
    Cognitive Dissident

Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    Sounds ideal, but do any American standard scope rings fit on that 11mm dovetail?
    CZ, Burris & Talley.......

https://www.amazon.com/Talley-Rimfir.../dp/B00DUEMORK
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

.22 scopes are usually 3/4" tubes.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by jsizemore View Post
    CZ scout. As they grow you can add a larger stock. At any time you can replace the single shot adapter for a conventional mag. 11mm dovetail rail milled into the receiver to mount a scope if you like.
    Bought my oldest a cz scout. Typical great cz rifle quality. I liked its accuracy so much I bought the cz 455 tacticool which is more accurate than I could ever be.

Bought the youngest a cricket as his first because it was $90. It’s has some good features like the built in bolt lock, size and lightweight.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by sparky45 View Post
    My first gun (at age 10) was a Remington 514 and I love it to this day (age 76).
    My first gun was a Remington 514, when I was 8, in 1963.

.22 scopes are usually 3/4" tubes.

FWIW, 3/4" RF scopes have been my rear view mirror for decades

I've been using 1" scopes on my .22's ever since 1" rings with RF groove clip-on fastening became available over 40 years ago.

Many 1" scopes are made specifically for .22RF's, short/lightweight and a different focal plane, - as are 1" scopes for airguns, made with special reinforcement against an airgun's reverse recoil effect.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Man
    To date I have helped over 800 Boy Scouts get their marksmanship badge and these days its first time half have ever touched a firearm. I have to supply the guns and ammo but don't care. Have rifles from Chimpmunk size to full size and in between. Have to use iron signets and only iron sight gun I use is an Anshutz so bought over a dozen rimfires for the kids. Make sure you start them with a rifle that fits their frame and use good ammo. One kid doesn't earn his badge or at least feel they hit something out plinking the embarrassment can turn them off from guns forever. Each troop I usually have kids who have been out with me several times, some once or twice and some its their first time. Put the older kids I know well working with the intermediate kids and I concentrate on the new kids. Even if I have to break out the Anshutz and box of Eley Tenex I make sure all kids earn their badge before we quit so they come back next year.
    For the time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions. 2 Timothy 4:3

Boolit Master
    A magazine fed bolt action can easily be single loaded. That's how I taught my kids.

I'm not a big fan of the old unitized barrel/receiver single shot 22's like the Stevens 15 and Winchester 67. On the off chance something happens to the chamber - you're stuck. An old pinned barrel 22 (nearly every single one out there) can be dismounted, set back, and reinstalled or replaced if necessary.

I also feel like kids tend to get bored with single shot bolt action 22's as they get a little older, then you have to figure out what to do with it.

My own opinion... I was taught on a semi-auto 22, and in hindsight, it was a bad way for me to learn. I just picked up so many bad habits. I see it in my own kids - a semi auto with a mag full of bullets becomes a bullet hose. It is just so much fun to pull the trigger that stuff like aiming falls by the wayside.

What has been beneficial is starting kids off with shorter length of pull rifles and shooting off the bench with scopes at reactive targets (swinger-dingers). It gives immediate feedback and reduces the frustration and fatigue of not being able to physically hold an adult size 22 on target.

The Remington Nylon66 is the only semiautomatic .22 that I've seen that is easily used as a single shot. Just lay a cartridge like this and pull and release the handle. It even works with CB Longs; I tried it today and I had to eject them manually as expected.
    As proficiency grows, put ammo in the magazine a few at a time.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Sounds ideal, but do any American standard scope rings fit on that 11mm dovetail? All my .22 scopes have rings for 3/8" dovetail, which would be too small.
    BKL Tech made/makes mounts to either/or fit 3/8"/11mm dovetail. Some have 1 piece or 2 piece mount and ring combos. If you like to shoot longer distances with your 22lr they even have cant machined into the bases. Millet windage adjustable ringes on a picatinny base will get your 3/4", 1" or larger scope rings centered on you scope. Burris signature with inserts works too. Maybe you like the Weaver look. They accommodate that too.

Keystone Crickett with walnut stock. Perfect for kids ... and adults, too!

That looks really nice. I like a short barreled 22. I even happen to have one. Not as flash as yours but it's short and I finally got it to shoot well. Plus it has a suppressor (which isn't complete yet). But it doesn't have a kid lined up for it. It's for me. I'm the kid.

It's a magazine feed but I got it without the mag. I might make or fit a mag on day but I just use it as a single shot. I like a single shot for training kids. And for myself.

I must say, Frank, that is the kind of gun that makes one want to go out shooting more often!
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Scope is mounted much too high. Kids need to be taught to get a good cheek weld.
    Cognitive Dissident

Quote Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
    That looks really nice. I like a short barreled 22. I even happen to have one. Not as flash as yours but it's short and I finally got it to shoot well. Plus it has a suppressor (which isn't complete yet). But it doesn't have a kid lined up for it. It's for me. I'm the kid.

It's a magazine feed but I got it without the mag. I might make or fit a mag on day but I just use it as a single shot. I like a single shot for training kids. And for myself.

I must say, Frank, that is the kind of gun that makes one want to go out shooting more often!

I've used it for pest control with CCI Quiets.

Scope is mounted much too high. Kids need to be taught to get a good cheek weld.
    Maybe, maybe not. My grandkids didn't have any cheek weld issues for hitting tin cans at 50 yards.

Chin weld, maybe?
    Cognitive Dissident

Chin weld, maybe?
    Yeah, maybe ... a bit lower with a Crickett 4x32 scope. At the mercy of the rifle's provisions for both iron and glass sights. But it ain't rocket science.

That's why I like the old 3/4" .22 scopes. Low sight line. The 15Y I bought for the grandkids now has a Weaver J-2.5 that's just right for it. (But I made 'em start with irons.) Big objectives may look cool nowadays, but who needs that much light-gathering on a .22 that kids are going to use? They aren't going to be shooting after dark as long as I'm in charge.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master

Like someone above, started with a Springfield 15Y , the old man used on his trapline before WWII. Started the daughter at age 6 with a Chipmunk which is now "half-owned" by my grandsonsince age 7(he says) . Gave all 3 of my great nephews Crickett's before they were a year old. Much preferred the metal cocking piece on the Chipmunk. Grandson now has a slightly bigger Savage Cub which, like the Chipmunk/Crickets has an aperture sight but cocks with the bolt and has a conventional safety which I much prefer over the cocking piece on the older guns(easier/safer to unload-my opinion). Shooting one at a time definitely the way to teach - today's very thin soda cans filled with water burst nicely and demonstrate the damage that even the little rimfires can do. I have scoped the Cub for the Boy to hunt squirrels with and danged if I did not get him an S&W 15-22 that we use out back to shoot at the plate rack/whirligig/dueling tree/etc. !
    Have 12 CMP Mossberg .44s, some with cutdown stocks, that we use when instructing scouts/other youth groups the basics from benches at 50 yards . The rookies are always amazed at their own improvement on the second A25/5 target - lots of fun watching 'em too !

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast