Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionWidenersInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Load Data
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Single shot .22 to teach 2 grandkids to shoot

Boolit Master

Single shot .22 to teach 2 grandkids to shoot

Talking to my brother about needing a single shot .22 to teach my grandson age 6 and grand-daughter age 5 to shot a rifle. He said give him a minute, he comes back on the phone and siad he had our uncles .22 that his kids didn't want. It is a Mossberg 320KA that looks like new. Now I have to go to Springfield, Ohio and get it, might have to get a second gun safe.

I started 'em on a Marlin 15Y, with a 4x scope on it. Turned out to be so handy and accurate that I still use it 15 years later. The Mossberg is a bit bigger but ought to work fine. I made a point of using good ammo, which I"m sure gave them encouragement. One is still a regular shooter, although he's become a Glock/AR15 fanatic and doesn't hunt.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    I started them out on single shot Remington 33's. I have converted one to a Marbles Bullseye sight with the corresponding height fiber optic sight. I shoot it now more than the kids.
    I learned how to shoot with this J.G. Anschutz KARABINER

Last edited by NyFirefighter357; 05-03-2022 at 07:49 PM.

That 320KA is a good gun. I have a 340BA & 340BB which are very similar. As uscra112 stated: they are not light.

My 1st. .22 was a Winchester 67 single shot (very safe as the cocking piece must be manually operated). My cousin had a Remington 510: also a single shot. The Remington 510 is a much better rifle.

I taught my son with an Ithaca 49: I shortened the stock. He's teaching his grandson to shoot with it now. It's a falling block single shot with exposed hammer that must be manually cocked.

I taught two of my granddaughters with a Mossberg 142-A. The 142A (& 142K) are carbines (18" bbl.).They have them now & are excellent shots

Boolit Master
    My first shot was over a pillow case that had a garbage ball full of dirt in it laying on a green wool Army blanket. The rifle a Winchester 67 that was purchased for my father as a kid, first safety and then sight picture instructions. Dad has been gone a while but that day on that scratchy blanket burned in between these ears fifty and change ago. Learned some later teaching youngins, they will hang longer and more excitement with things that pop and or disperse starting out. A box of Saltines with some pins and a piece of cardboard was always a hit, then moved to a balloon out there on them at the end. Any single shot and the time with young minds is rarely ever a negative, good on you. Cherish the time, I bet they will several times from then!

Boolit Master
    Might consider other rifles that are detachable magazine types and load one at a time. Also there are aftermarket single shot adapters available for the more popular models if you want to get fancy. Started my kids with an Anschutz Achiever that had spacers in the butt stock to adjust length of pull and it shoots like an Anschutz. Got it cheap in the mid 80's at the Canadian R&G in Germany. Have a couple of grand kids that will be using it next.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich/WIS View Post

Might consider other rifles that are detachable magazine types and load one at a time.

+1

After all, who's the knowledgeable person/adult in that situation ?

I started all 3 of my kids at about age 7 with a Ruger 10/22 - that I NEVER allowed them to see the magazine being removed/replaced (until they were a LOT older).

I simply told them (in turn) that it was an auto-ejecting single-shot, and that they had to lock the bolt back (I showed them how) before loading a single round into the barrel before snapping the bolt back into battery, loading the chamber.

Worked like a charm .... they didn't find it difficult, once I guided them on how to manipulate the bolt.

The stock length didn't matter very much, since at that young age I didn't allow them to do much more than pull the trigger & load.

Last edited by pietro; 05-06-2022 at 05:06 PM.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

I started my kids out with Cricket rifles; I bought them at Dick's (back when the sold guns) I bought them and kept them in the safe for a few yrs and started my daughter out at age 5. My son who is 2 yrs younger shot her rifle a few times when he was 4 or so. He got his when he turned 5. I did not let them have both rifles out at the same time until they were almost too big for the crickets. These have a very short stock and are perfect size for young shooters.

When my grand nephew was 9, I got hold of a Lithgow Slazenger single shot and shortened and skimmed the barrel and fitted an over-barrel suppressor. When he was tired he would walk with the muzzle end running on the grass. Very accurate little carbine and he shot it like a pro. Now he's all grown up like so I tried to get it off him - I'll just have to do a duplicate with one of my others.

Hours of rubbing boiled linseed oil on that stock.

These things don't even have an ejector! But they used ordinance steel and that stuff is tough! I cut the barrel with a hacksaw and it was hard going. Machines beautifully though.

P.S. His young sister now also shoots with it. There never was any chance of me getting it.
    Last edited by 303Guy; 05-07-2022 at 11:54 PM.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Quote Originally Posted by NyFirefighter357 View Post

Seeing this, I'm tempted to rework the stock of a Slazenger. Actually, I have one with a broken stock ..... There's that something about that old rifle.

Boolit Grand Master
    Henry sells a single shot for kids. I bought one for my kids and they liked it. Very deliberate procedure to load and fire. Makes looking over their shoulder (for safety) easier. Well made, too.

I restored eight Remington 510s to as new, for my grand kids, gave each their own 510 when they were 9 years old, for Christmas. The 510 has an extra point for teaching/learning, it goes back on safe every time it is bolted, so must be taken off safe to fire after a single round is inserted. It is a light weight rifle, very accurate. The all original 510 that belonged to my grandfather, made in the 1930s I still have. I have 12 more, just because.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

The 500 series Remingtons have a beautiful balance and yes, the 510 is ideal for teaching kids. It's ideal for adults too.

Boolit Master

My first gun (at age 10) was a Remington 514 and I love it to this day (age 76).

Boolit Master

Are "over-barrel suppressors" threaded onto the barrel?

Quote Originally Posted by sparky45 View Post
    Are "over-barrel suppressors" threaded onto the barrel?
    For the most part, yes. There is one that threads on the rear and front of the barrel that I saw on YouTube yesterday. That rifle I showed above threads on the rear with the barrel two-thirds into the can. Others thread at the muzzle and have an O ring seal, seating onto the barrel at the rear.

Boolit Master

I'm thinking of making one that will be a slip fit with a couple of Allen's to snug it up. For my Air Rifle.

Is that a springer or gas? A springer has a lot of shock. I have fitted suppressors by Loctite-ing a thread collar on. I've also glued a scope base on a springer. That Slazenger up above has a glued on scope base but it only has to be strong enough not to break off from handling. The springer had a long cylinder fitting curve so very strong.

Boolit Buddy
    My pops started me with a single shot Mossberg .410 but that was too much for me as a pup. He eventually got me a 10/22 and hacksawed the stock to fit me. The cut was very rough but it fit me well and I loved that rifle. Once I outgrew it I found a take-off stock at a gun show and installed it myself. That was my first “gun project.” I guess that was the start of my disease… haha.

That old sawed off stock later passed to my brother and then down to multiple little cousins. It’s been kicking around the family for decades. My 10/22 was stolen out of my closet when my house was robbed. I was young and dumb and didn’t even have the s/n recorded. No chance I’ll ever see that again

I was going to suggest a Cricket or Chipmunk -- little rifles proportioned for little people. But those little people get bigger and the tiny guns don't work well for them anymore. I taught my daughter with a Marlin 15Y which she still has, and her daughters shoot it. Myself, I was given a Stevens 15-A at age 12, and my brother also got one of his own when he reached that age. We've both still got them, although they're seldom used anymore. The big names like Remington and Winchester made .22s, but they tended to be proportioned for adults. Even these older used single shots are getting expensive on the gun market.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stevens 15-A 002.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	65.0 KB 
ID:	300065

Mine!

DG

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast