MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackboxLoad Data
Reloading Everything Wideners
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Single shot .22 to teach 2 grandkids to shoot

I have a thing for high mounted scopes. I have a long neck although I can shoot with lower mounts but I just prefer them higher. But for training kids, maybe a low mount is better. My great nephew did fine with the high mound I did for him but then he has a long neck like I do. Although, he started using it at nine or ten when he was overall much shorter. There was no choice with that particular gun. His step dad has a short neck and he shoots fine with it too. I think it's the chin weld that does the trick. It's what I use.
    Last edited by 303Guy; 06-02-2022 at 01:20 AM.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

How well does that chin weld do with harder-recoiling rounds like the .308 family and up? I've never had occasion to try it, and I don't think I'd want to.

Remembering that, for a short while, I had a high scope on a Ruger Mini-14. Missed a 20 yard shot on a woodchuck in the garden because I failed to hold off to compensate for the high sight line. Embarrassing! Eventually ditched the scope and went back to the irons, (with a drilled-out aperture on the rear.) Teaching to adjust hold at close ranges to compensate for a high scope just complicates the learning process for the kid, IMHO.
    Cognitive Dissident

I had a high scope on my mini 14 too. I loved it. I used to shoot silhouette with a high scoped 22 and got to know my hold under or over pretty well. I never had any issues. I worked out an ideal mid range high that would keep the projectile within 40mm (1 1/2 ") of the line of sight. That gave me a point blank range out to nearly 200m. I took into account shooting up unto trees. I think the first zero point was around 27m or perhaps 25. It was similar for the 22 but the ranges were up to 100yds. That was shooting with high velocity in the 22. So for the rams I needed to hold high on the rams and low on the pigs but dead on for the chickens. The turkeys were dead on which they need to be because of the challenging shape of the things.

Recoiling rifles had the scopes far forward! My sporterized Lee Enfield also had the have the scope high to clear the bolt. Oh, it had a long stock. I did have to be careful bot to get a halve moon eyebrow with it. So no chin weld on on 303's.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

What it probably boils down to is: I learned on irons, never had a scoped rifle until my Dad passed in 1997 and I got his Marlin 336, and I've built up a prejudice. Color me in as a dinosaur. At 77 I can still shoot irons, although not as well as I once did.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Single shot use best way to learn firearm discipline without any mistakes. Especially with youngsters.

Boolit Master
    I learned on a single shot, blond pine stock and crome barrel and lock. I had to pay for my ammo at a penney per round or .35 cents per box. Could always talk mom out of a nickel as she would get the younger brothers a nickel candy bar. Picked the gun up in June found my uncle had cut the stock for his kids to learn on. Single shot gun will also make the kids learn to shoot better, making sure the sights are on targets. After they show that they understand the use of iron sights I will start them on an assault rifle. A Marlin 1894 in .22. No scopes till 16-18 years old. What don't the people telling me go buy this gun or that one understand ti is free and comes with a great family story. The man that owned that gun had two ships shutout from under him during WWII. They get history feed to them and learn to shot.

Boolit Master
    Revisited the thread as my grandson will be turning 8 next year. Complication is he is left handed, but lucked into a LH Rem 581. Along with some steel 5 shot mags bought a single shot adapter for use while he is learning. Stock is adult size so have two options, cut the stock carefully and when he gets bigger add a 1" recoil pad, or cut down another stock. Have a RH 581 stock that I can cutdown and rasp in the notch for the LH bolt handle which should work for this option. Have to wait a bit for him as he's growing (like a weed) so don't want to jump the gun.

That's a great choice, Rich.
    That 581 will set an accuracy bar that he will compare future .22 rifles to.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Bub
    The savage rascal has some interesting sight options fwhen using this rail from egw https://www.egwguns.com/savage-rasca...il-scope-mount

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123