Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad Data
Reloading EverythingRepackboxWidenersSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading

Thread: Thoughts on Henry .308

Boolit Master

Thoughts on Henry .308

Looking at a Henry Long Ranger in .308. Anyone shot one, any good? Would be used for hunting and putting holes in paper. I have an AR10 in .308 and thought I could use the same ammo in both if needed.

Boolit Bub
    This looks like a copy of the Browning BLR. The BLR uses a rotating bolt and bolt carrier like an AR except the carrier is acted upon by the lever instead of gas operated. Browning even went to an alloy “receiver” on the BLR Lightning since the bolt locks directly to a barrel extension like the AR. I had a BLR many years ago. Great rifles. I’ve looked closely and considered the Henry version. You’ll be happy with it.
    Matt

Boolit Master

I have one. Shoots great and is very smooth cycling. Wood to metal finish is very good. Bought a scope base to add to it and it fit perfectly. I also bought a couple of extra magazines.

Boolit Buddy
    I too have one but mine had an issue.

When I took mine out for initial sight in my scope didn’t have enough adjustment to get on a target at 100 yards “laterally”.

The point of impact out of the box was so far left that I didn’t own a scope that would correct the issue.

After swapping scopes a time or two I eyeballed the front end of the rifle and determined that the barrel (which is supposed to be free floated) was touching the forearm on the left (heavily so).

In fact it was touching so much that if I were to correct the issue myself (by hogging out the forend) I would end up cutting through the metal forend cap.

When I saw that, I called Henry, got a “call” tag/shipping label and sent it back.

Henry had it for about 6 weeks, determined the barrel was “bent”, replace the barrel and sent it back (upon return it include a receiver length scope mount as opposed to the two piece mounting system they include with the rifle).

All that identified, it’s been trouble free (and accurate) since it’s return.

By the way, mine had an exceptional trigger pull out of the box (just a little take up with a let off of 3.5 pounds).

Boolit Master
    I have a Henry Long Ranger .223, also have Browning BLR's in .223, .308 and a couple others. The Henry trigger is far superior to the Browning BLR trigger. I would buy another, probably 6.5 Creedmoor, but I am overrun with Savage 99's in 308, 300 Savage and a couple .243's. A Henry in .338 Federal might call, I have Savage 99 .358's. I would trade my Browning BLR's for Henry Long Ranger's anytime. The Henry .223 will go well under MOA with Sierra 55 gr, I would expect the 308 to do the same with the right bullet. I have a Browning BLR .358 also, from a bench it beats my Savage 99's by maybe 0.2 MOA at 100 yards, but the 99's trigger, magazine and handling are far superior. A half inch at 250 yards does not make much difference on an elk, and a good trigger (like the Henry's) is very important for most shooting.

If you can find one west of Mississippi good luck. Been looking for one for 2 yrs. Gunbroker appears to have some but they have changed policy now so I don't particularly like to do business with them.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    If you can find one west of Mississippi good luck. Been looking for one for 2 yrs. Gunbroker appears to have some but they have changed policy now so I don't particularly like to do business with them.
    Please tell their policy. I've never used them but am considering selling some guns there. Thank you.

Requires a pic of DL and a small fee to register. I couldn't get my DL accepted after 4 tries. I did get the 308W version elsewhere. Shoots good for first outing. Zero scope and 3 for group, amax reloads, then 150 corelock factory stuff. Should get better. Scope has very fine reticle and I was concentrating on elevation so horiz accuracy sucked.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shotgroup-cropped-Scan_20220601 (2).jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	51.7 KB 
ID:	301077
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shotgroup-cropped-Scan_20220601.png 
Views:	13 
Size:	377.7 KB 
ID:	301078
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screenshot 2022-06-03 150857.jpg   Screenshot 2022-06-03 150942.jpg  
    Last edited by popper; 06-07-2022 at 01:24 PM.
    Whatever!

Hammer extension grub screws didn't fit so CS sent me another. Great service.
    Whatever!

I have an AR10 in .308 and thought I could use the same ammo in both if needed.
    Ar10 is probably 7.62x51, Henry is 308W - chambers are different. I just re-sized and trimmed a bunch of LC brass. Mine appears to have a SAMMI spec 308W chamber, it measures to spec! Henry did good. Going to load up some PCd 145gr GC for it too. My 168gr mould has to be seated with the GC in the shoulder which isn't good.
    Whatever!