RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading Everything
Wideners Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is shotgun shot unobtainium right now?

Boolit Buddy

Is shotgun shot unobtainium right now?

I was thinking of getting into shotgun reloading and shot appears to be unobtainable right now. Usually shotgun primers are the last to sell out and I've never actually seen the stores/internet completely out of shot, so I'm kinda surprised. How long has this been going on? Does anyone have a source for some shot? I know I won't see primers until probably next year (and I have a few) but the shot situation is a little bit ridiculous.

Both rotomerals and zipmetals have #8 shot in stock, but it's getting expensive. When I last bought shot before I got out of it about 4 years ago it was 40 to 50 a bag, now it's closer to 80.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    It's actually kinda fun to cast shot! My set up cost around $15 for the steel for gas bar to keep the plate hot, the rest was just junk steel I had around. I can cast down to #7 with little problem, going smaller than that and I get a lot of oblong / tear drop shot.

Boolit Master

anytime i need some, i set up my shotmaker and ran however much i need.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

BPI in Mn recently had flat rate shipping specials , check with them

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

Boolit Mold
    so what happened to the guy from dallas' reply ?that says contact him? a pic from him as to his dripping setup would have been nice..but his reply is not here now..i have made a few tons of shot with a littleton but sold it in error thinking i would never use up my 5 gallon supply ..now 3 years later i am looking to make my own.....again......

Quote Originally Posted by tom catman View Post
    so what happened to the guy from dallas' reply ?that says contact him? a pic from him as to his dripping setup would have been nice..but his reply is not here now..i have made a few tons of shot with a littleton but sold it in error thinking i would never use up my 5 gallon supply ..now 3 years later i am looking to make my own.....again......
    The site rules state that offers to buy and sell outside of Swappin' & Sellin' (S&S) aren't allowed, so those posts are deleted when reported, or found. If someone persists in making offers outside of S&S, then an infraction may be issued.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Grand Master

No, if anything shotgun shot is the ONLY thing shooting related that hasn't gone off the deep end. Prices are up somewhat, but nothing like we saw in 2010. My local store has a nearly unlimited supply of West Coast in a number of sizes. $58 a bag. It looks like Precision Reloading has most sizes of West Coast and their nickel plated in stock. Their prices are a little high. Runnings sometimes has Lawrence shot for around $60 a bag. Fin Feather Fur is the best price I could find online. They have West Coast for $50 a bag.

Like everything now, it's not a constant stream supply. It could be gone tomorrow there, and show up somewhere else.

Boolit Master
    Have seen way more shot than primers in stores.
    Take a kid to the range, you'll both be glad you did.

Boolit Grand Master
    Visit or call your local trap and skeet clubs. Some sell shot or organize group buys.

I used to buy my shot either at trap shoots or from the distributor who supplied club needs.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

As others said.. shot is available.. but expect to pay 80-90$ a bag. Roto metals has it.. as well as some places on ebay and amazon.

If you go to mayco industries site.. they sell lawurence brand shot. there are links to click on for consumer level buying.. that takes you to a lawurence brand site. I was able to put a few different shot types like 7.5 and 8 in a cart without getting out of stock notices.

I know lead prices at scrap yards are up. Both to sell and to buy from those that will sell. Shot dripping looked entirely do-able. Just don't have the motivation myself. If I shot trap or skeet I would look into it.

I do cast buck shot since those loads are expensive and making ones own offers more significant savings. Offset by low volume of buckshot shell usage. A six cavity .31 ball mold from Track of the Wolf or the buckshot molds from MP molds makes that possible.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
    I know lead prices at scrap yards are up. Both to sell and to buy from those that will sell. Shot dripping looked entirely do-able. Just don't have the motivation myself. If I shot trap or skeet I would look into it.

I do cast buck shot since those loads are expensive and making ones own offers more significant savings. Offset by low volume of buckshot shell usage. A six cavity .31 ball mold from Track of the Wolf or the buckshot molds from MP molds makes that possible.
    Agreed... I shoot more buck and slug than shot.. so would rather buy shot than get into shot dripping.. I make my own 00 and #4 buck and 1oz slugs.

Boolit Mold
    i see why the post was deleted,thanks...

Boolit Master

Care to post some pics of your setup? or plans / discussion.. sounds like a neat deal.

Boolit Master

neat.. thanks

Boolit Buddy
    Finding shot hasn't been a problem, just powder and primers. Powder is starting to trickle in, but primers either show up in one gaggle and are sold out within seconds, or do not show up at all.
    Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory ... lasts forever.
    Retired USN
    NRA Life

Boolit Grand Master
    My last purchase was 40 bags and there was a discount for buying in quantity. Just checked with one of the suppliers we used (Dawson Enterprises) and current price is $50/bag for #4 to #9 Lawarence Shot.

I do not know any trap shooters who make shot. It is not cost effective. Everyone buys shot at shoots or the club. You can sell 25 lbs of alloy for $30. The shot you make is never as good as commercial shot and there is a lot of work involved to save $20. I suppose if you enjoy making shot as a hobby the savings are not as important.
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    My last purchase was 40 bags and there was a discount for buying in quantity. Just checked with one of the suppliers we used (Dawson Enterprises) and current price is $50/bag for #4 to #9 Lawarence Shot.

I do not know any trap shooters who make shot. It is not cost effective. Everyone buys shot at shoots or the club. You can sell 25 lbs of alloy for $30. The shot you make is never as good as commercial shot and there is a lot of work involved to save $20. I suppose if you enjoy making shot as a hobby the savings are not as important.
    I'm seeing similar prices. There is no reason at all to be buying shot online right now. I can point you to 2 stores in SD, 1 store in MN, and likely one store in ND that all have good USA shot for under $60 a bag. Don't fall for the internet trap. Sometimes they have deals. Now is not one of them. There's no shortage of shot, and no reason to be paying $90 a bag.

Boolit Master

I wish florida had some for sale..but nowhere I've called so far does.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast