Inline FabricationRepackboxWidenersTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading Everything
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: 44 cal cast bullets

Boolit Mold

44 cal cast bullets

Okay, so I have some bullets that were given to me, and they are 44 cal swc that are sized to .429 at 205 grains. Does anyone have an idea what my load data should be?

What powder do you have? .44 Special or .44 mag? Do you want light, medium or full power loads? At .429 just be ready for some leading in the barrel.

I would also consider picking up a copy of Lyman’s 4th edition cast bullet book.

I load 44 mag mostly 240g swc are they GC ? If not i would keep the load on the light side

Boolit Master

Welcome to the Castboolits.
    Sounds like you may be new to the reloading fraternity. All of the major powder manufacturers list load data on the net. If you have any expierience at all in reloading, you would or should surely have a/some reloading manuals. It is not a good practice to get your powder charge information from individual's you don't know. You do not know or have any idea how the person arrived at the data he is giving you. Get on line and start with the major powder manufacturers, i.e. Hodgdon, Alliant, Winchester, etc. Buy yourself some reloading manuals. All the best in your search.
    If a 41 won't stop it, I wouldn't bet my life on a 44.

Moderator Emeritus

Jabe,
    welcome to the forum.
    If you are new to reloading, Most good reloading manuals will have the data you are looking for, and I'd highly suggest reading the first half of the manual to gain some of the reloading basics and may help you with some pitfalls.

If you have some experience with reloading, here is a good thread with plenty of load info.
    https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...nd-2400-powder
    Good Luck.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    I've been reloading and shooting 44 Specials for a goodly spell. I have never had any luck with cast bullets sized way down to .429. But I have always shot Rugers. Seems like .430 is as narrow as I can go.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Boolit Grand Master
    I concur with the above. Cast bullets are different than jacketed. They need to be ever so slightly oversized and properly lubed to function without generating lead in your barrel. A good, printed, re-load manual is a must. Follow the manual. As noted, info from the net may well be very good, but then it may be way off, too. This stuff (reloading) is not too forgiving. Do it right and do it safely. As to the bullets you have, I'd load them light and have fun with them.
    Welcome aboard. This is a good site. Questions are always welcome.

Jabe, welcome to the Castboolits family. Lots of good people here willing to help. What gun are you going to use? If it a newer S&W, the cylinder throats will probably be .429 so no matter what, that is going to be the size of the boolit when it exits the cylinder. If the cylinders are larger, you might get leading but it isn't guaranteed. Take a couple and see if you can push them all the way through the cylinders, all 6 of them. If they go through really easily, they are, of course larger than .429. If they require a bit of a mild push with a pencil, you might be just right. Load them and shoot a few to see the results. That's the real test. Good luck and let us know the results.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master
    The OP says he has been given some bullets. He does not say they are cast or jacketed. Since he says the bullets are “sized to .429 at 205 grains” my guess is they are cast, not jacketed. If I am right, while he certainly needs a few good reloading manuals, most current manuals are pretty skint on information on recipes for loading cast. My recommendation would be for him to get any manuals he can for reloading in general, but particularly the publications put out by Lyman that deal in the loading of cast.
    R.D.M.

Boolit Grand Master

Welcome Jabe , glad to have you on the site !

I'm sure we can help you ... we just need a few more details .
    What round are we reloading , what is the purpose for the ammo ...plinking , target shooting , deer hunting . More details on bullet ... cast lead , jacketed , plated ,
    Do you have any powder on hand and for what firearm will the ammo be used in .
    In reloading all these details really do matter and will help us get you a correct and proper answer.
    If we are going to give advice I like to give "good" advice and the details help us do that .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Gun View Post
    I load 44 mag mostly 240g swc are they GC ? If not i would keep the load on the light side
    I can think of a few other reasons to load them on the light side

My favorite load for an old 44 Russian single shot was 4 grains of Bullseye with a 250 grain cast 429336 bullet used without sizing and pan lubed.
    This load also works in 44 Special and Magnum and also with lighter bullets.

The real question here is: What do you want to do with these loads?

Boolit Mold
    Could be they are for a 44/40 if they are cast. If jacketed then you are good to go for special and mag.

Boolit Master
    You can download Lyman 3rd Edition cast bullet manual for FREE.Just Google it