MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad DataRepackbox
Reloading Everything

Thread: What's your favorite cast bullet for the 38-55

Boolit Master

What's your favorite cast bullet for the 38-55

What's your favorite cast bullet for the 38-55? I have a 1885 Uberti that JES is re-boring to a 38-55 and would like opinions on what Mould to use to cast a good 250 gr ~ 300 gr bullet. At present I have a 379-250 Lee that makes a respectful looking slug. Suggestions please.

Boolit Master

I have a Huch 265gr nose pour single cav. mold I'm willing to let go of, since I don't have a 38-55 anymore.
    PM if interested.
    Calamity Jake

NRA Life Member
    SASS 15704
    Shoot straight, keepem in the ten ring.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have the Lee mold, with the bevel removed. It is my current favorite, because it fits my rifle.

I also have a Lyman 375449 (I think) that drops a couple of thousandths small for my use, and one of the group buys from years ago that is a bit too large.

Robert

Boolit Master

The Lee bullet is supposed to be a good one. I have the Ideal 375296 that I haven't fired but have big expectations. I have had very good luck with the 30 caliber bullet of similar design.
    Good Luck,
    Rick

Boolit Master

What's the twist of your rebored barrel going to be? I've got a Taylor & Co Highwall (a dressed-up Uberti) with a 1-18 twist that really doesn't like anything heavier than 310 gr. at BP velocities. My 'go-to' is an old 305 gr. NEI that will print near MOA @ 200 yards if I'm having a good day.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master

That's one of the problems I have right now; I don't know what twist or much of anything about what JES has done with the bore. Right now I'm just searching for info about 38-55 loads and Moulds. I do know he is cutting a 3 rifling and that it should be close to .366 ~ .376 bore.

Boolit Master

Got a call back from JES this morning and I now know the twist rate (1/15) and the chamber is possibly only suitable for the short 38-55 brass. I have 100+ pieces of new Starline long brass I might not be able to shoot, just have to wait for the barrel to arrive to find out. I do have 50 pieces of new Winchester that are the shorter size, so I'll have enough to get going. With a 1/15 twist I should be able to get accuracy with a heavier projo (300gr +), right?

Your in luck! Long brass can be shortened.

Boolit Master

As hard as the long brass is to come by, I think I'll look into trading for the shorter version if I can't use them.

Boolit Master

I have a JES 38/55 3 groove barrel, have had it a few years. I shoot the Lee boolit sized .379 at around 1350fps with 4227 and dacron. My load is 16.5-17gr. Shoots great. I think his bore dia is .376 or .377. The .378 shot well, I think .379 was a little better so I stuck with that. I use the short Starline. Never tried the long so I don't know whether it will work or not. You can, as pointed out earlier, shorten yours if need be.

Boolit Master

The Lyman 375248 and378449 have worked great in mine.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Buddy

I have a Chiappa mini sharps in 38-55. The Lee 379-250 sized thru the Lee 379 sizer performs very well in this rifle. Due to the fact that this rifle only weighs 5 1/2 pounds I only load it to about 1200 fps.

Boolit Master
    the lee mold will serve you well, I have a JES rebore in 38/55 Marliin 336, that shoots the 250 gr bullet very well. With my alloy it comes out at 265grs

I have a jes bored 336, I can fit the starline 375 win brass with a fat Lee .381 boolit in the chamber. The 375 win brass is a little thicker than the 38-55. The long Starline brass, will not chamber.
    NRA Life Member
    Amvets life member