Load DataLee PrecisionRepackboxTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading Everything
Wideners

Thread: M1 Garand Ammo

Boolit Buddy

M1 Garand Ammo

Looking to get your opinion...I've been thinking about getting an M1 Garand. I know you can buy "specially approved" ammo, but I've have about 600-800 rounds of 30-06. It is not all of the same manufacturer nor same bullet weight. It is all new factory loaded ammo.

I had thought about getting an adjustable gas port, as one option. Also, I could pull the bullets and dump the powder. Reload the already primed cases with new powder and possibly reuse the projectiles, if possible.

Any thoughts, comments or concerns?

Boolit Master
    Just don't run modern hunting ammo through your Garand. It's an engraved invitation to a bent operating rod. If the collector value on the rifle of interest is not particularly high, I'D think that the adjustable gas port would be the best option. Pulling all the loaded ammo sounds like an expensive proposition, though it's probably a lot less trouble than replacing an operating rod. If YOU loaded any of that ammunition, and are sure of what's in it, compare what YOU loaded to what's recommended for M1 rifles (i.e., propellants with burning rates between IMR-3031 and IMR-4320, inclusive) in terms of charge weights vs. bullet weights.
    If you have a pet "super high velocity meat homogenizer" load in .30-06, using (for example) a 150 gr. spitzer soft point and Varget powder, your only chore might be to dump powder, adjust the charge weight downward (per recommended M1 loading data), recharge & reseat.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Grand Master

I agree with Kosh! 20 years ago operating rods were reasonable at gun shows. Not so anymore.
    You could also remove the OP rod and run it like a straight pull bolt rifle.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Buddy
    Or get you one of these: "Schuster DCM Adjustable Gas Plug with Wrench M1 Garand Steel Parkerized"

I've had one on my Korean vintage M1 for years now. Open the plug, shoot, tighten until there's just enough gas to make it cycle.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by missionary5155 View Post
    I agree with Kosh! 20 years ago operating rods were reasonable at gun shows. Not so anymore.
    You could also remove the OP rod and run it like a straight pull bolt rifle.
    I am curious how a person would do that with a Garand.

Crandall. You could get a schuster plug and be good to go and have peace of mind. Or you could do a little more research and be more informed and freer from fear.

From The Milsurp Guy
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOSdswZHJUc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kKTrT9_Fus

His spreadsheet
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1oYP...cqFMDdOP3/view

I was shooting Winchester 150 grain Power Points in my Garands when I first bought them in 2000. Now I reload to M1Ball specs with 175 grain sierra match kings and shoot them in all of my .30-06 rifles.
    Fifty years a lawyer and you still look down your nose at your fellow citizens who study and know law better than you. Every
    citizen is an attorney.

Dump the powder and reload with 4895.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Do a little research with the loading / powder companies. They’ll provide you data. Also, go to CMP’s website and forum. Wealth of knowledge.
    Want a quick burning powder to ‘snap’ that op rod/bolt back, NOT build pressure all the way back!
    Some manufacturers are even loading/selling ammo for the M1.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 6mm win lee View Post
    I am curious how a person would do that with a Garand.
    I’m thinking he meant removing the gas cylinder lock screw (gas plug) and operate the rifle manually.
    I’ve seen that advice elsewhere too.
    Semper Fi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

from the old NRA book.

I use IMR4895

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by avogunner View Post
    I’m thinking he meant removing the gas cylinder lock screw (gas plug) and operate the rifle manually.
    I’ve seen that advice elsewhere too.
    Semper Fi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I run both my Garands as pull-bolt rifles. I bought a spare gas plug (since the original rifle is numbers matching) and just drilled out the valve in the spare gas plug. I don't really do this to preserve the op rod-- although it does preserve it. Rather, at my local range the shooting benches are close together and neighboring shooters don't appreciate hot 30-06 brass flying at them. Do this and you can use that old 30-06 ammo all you want.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Master
    Unless you shove a 180/220 gr RN up in the throat how many times? Yes, maybe if you had a large supply of not correct ammo and go buy the plug and dial in the rifle to use the not so correct ammo. I am sure the statement OOH, let's see what this one does by the unknowing never occurs. Just an observation but here it goes- One has a rifle that if in good serviceable condition or better is at least a thousand dollars and up this tool is worth. The one day you or a loved one may need it or rely on it priceless! How hard is it really, as difficult and seemingly expensive as it may seem to feed the tool the correct fodder? How about my Uncle left me a vintage Ferrari and it's in the garage as we speak, I cannot afford the proper fuel so I am going to put some 87 10% corn in the tank and run it on that. Go get a bolt gun or maybe they could afford an M1-A and burn their WalMart ammo in it.

Quote Originally Posted by crandall crank View Post
    Also, I could pull the bullets and dump the powder. Reload the already primed cases with new powder and possibly reuse the projectiles, if possible.
    That's what I'd do.
    I'd down load it to pressures even lower than it was meant for,
    and work on accuracy within those parameters for the ranges you shoot.
    I'd try to stretch its productive life as long as possible and still shoot it a lot.
    Unless you're being over run by zombies, you really shouldn't really need full house or higher pressure loads.

Something else about military weapons and even GI loads that are on the hot side:
    When a rifle got worn or trashed out--- a trooper just handed it back to the Armory, and they gave him a new one.
    You may not have that option.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

I have (3) Garands that I shoot. I live by that table that DEREK45 posted. After trying to get several other guys op rods back into spec, yes it can be done but is time and labor intensive, it is just not worth shooting ammo outside the posted parameters. As stated above, used to be op rods were a dime a dozen. Last one I replaced was $110 and not much better than the one I took out of the guys rifle that shot old Remington 220 CoreLokt through the rifle. Cost aside, there are just that many op rods out there now. I have never messed with the gas plug option. In my opinion, it is just not worth bending one when other options are available.

rmcc
    fools rush in where angels fear to tread...Alexander Pope

I agree with the above posts, treat the old war horse with some TLC. I'm now loading mine with the Lee 170gr, gc, pc, with 39.5 grs H4895, which is just below a starting load. Data says that is about 2300fps. which equals a hot 30-30. It gets the job done. What's not to like?
    https://www.bearblain.com/Service%20...0Loadings.html
    Last edited by fastdadio; 05-03-2022 at 07:47 PM.
    Deplorable infidel

Quote Originally Posted by crandall crank View Post
    I have about 600-800 rounds of 30-06.
    On second thought--

This is the perfect reason you need to get something like a Rem700.
    Then you can reload some of the cases for a Garand.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    On second thought--

This is the perfect reason you need to get something like a Rem700.
    Then you can reload some of the cases for a Garand.
    An excellent concept.....
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla