Inline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2Lee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackboxWideners
Reloading Everything

Thread: Are Group buys a thing of the past?

Are Group buys a thing of the past?

Are the group buys a thing of the past? Havent seen anything come to fruition in quite a while. Is MP molds still participating? NOE ?
    Perhaps the honchos have some insight, I'm sure not the only one with concerns.

Boolit Master

group buys have always been slow, they allow you to save a little money but take time to do it. if you want it now--pony up and pay the normal price. noe just had a primer tool group buy that went from beta to sold out in a few weeks.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    GB's are VERY slow! Most always have been. I have waited months for some I have. And people are not casting as much due to material shortages. I know I am not casting right now. And I have way too many molds as it is! I only buy brass 5-6 cavity molds now.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I see no reason to wait on a group buy when you can get a custom mold done to your specs from Accurate at an affordable price in 3-4 weeks turnaround. And the mold will fit your gun and not be the luck of the blind hog finding an acorn based on some mass market compromise.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

rancher1913 - never about paying.... and Im use to waiting ,was around, if anyone remembers how slow the Lee group buys were.

Outpost75 - I fully agree, Accurate has been outstanding in providing whatever I can pay for. And truly custom.

I see the slowdowns in casting, wanting to use a primer or quantity of powder, but glad to get some valuable feedback of other members.
    Thanks

Boolit Master
    Group buys were a big deal back when there were very few companies cutting custom molds. If you wanted something outside the RCBS/Lyman/Saeco/Lee catalog, you were completely out of luck.

Remember, 90% of the group buy molds 15 years ago were Lee. Even the now famous Ranch Dog was a Lee mold, and he had all sorts of supply and quality issues.

Now, there are several makers like Accurate, Mountain molds, and NOE. These guys changed the game. I honestly believe that there's just not a need like there was. You can get all sorts of different patterns and sizes out of any of them, as well as the ability to custom order a mold if you want something special.

Things have slowed down which isn't surprising. For a while MP couldn't get pins. The amount of disruption to world markets has been fairly large. War in a major steel producing area of Europe can't be helping.

I have been on for a couple of molds for a long time. Eventually I'm guessing the products will come in. I'm sure I could find an alternative source if I needed more rapid response but I'm also gaining from the wisdom of the group. The molds in group buy tend to be designs that members know are good designs for the use intended.

As opposed to myself trying to figure out what will work for my use, buying it, testing it, etc. While all that is fun it is even more fun when it works well right from the start because folks with more experience have had input into the design selected. Also the savings makes it a little easier to buy a high capacity or high end brass mold.

Only problem I have with time it takes from sign up to purchase is keeping the funds on hand to pay when the time comes. So many molds, can be hard to set aside the funds on hand when I decided to purchase for a long time until payment is due. I'm old enough I guess I have no excuse if I can't manage a budget for long term purchases.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master
    I think we are very fortunate to have the ability to obtain so many high quality molds of so many unique designs. I can only speak for myself.
    ive been very tempted to sign up for some of the recent group buys but current limited financial obligations prevent me from making new obligations.
    but in the past ive not regretted any of my previous purchase of group buys and some have become my go to molds that are very well used and cherished. even if I had to wait a year or more for some of them.

Boolit Master
    Sometimes I think that group buys won’t be filled until the makers stop selling their inventories out at full price. Other times I wonder: “who’s buying all these molds?!”

Boolit Buddy
    I’m with Outpost on this.
    I’ve been in on a couple group buys in the past, but from now on its Accurate for me. I can get exactly what I want, to my specs in a few weeks, vs not to my specs and in months or years with a group buy.
    “You’ve got to slow down to be fast” - Dad

Boolit Bub
    It’s been going on 4 years now for an 8mm MP mold group buy that I’m in on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ADMIN

I believe the problem lies with the fact that mold makers can sell every standard mold they can make right now. There is NO incentive for them to spend the time to make a custom cherry for the group buy molds.

In the past group buys where produced during the slow times for most mold makers. Right now there isn’t any slow times.
    I am hoping that they remember that we were always there with these group buys and they don’t forget about us.

Charles

Please note that the above statement is a personal statement not a official CB response.
    Don't like being hammered by the Cast Boolits Staff, then don't be a nail.
    The rules are simple to follow.

Boolit Buddy
    I received my 170gr 402 mold last week. The only thing I could complain about was the missing 15% GB discount.
    But the price paid was still very reasonable to that of an Accurate mold without any pins.
    I'd ordered another one in 9mm if it were available.
    Bill

Well, 4mos ago I posed the question, and it seems it was valid afterall. Regardless of group buys here or other sites that promote them, magazine advertisements, or site banner ads.
    We have been reduce to buy what they have in stock cause you might not get another choice, I mean chance. And its that way with an awful lot of items in the retail world.
    Hold on to your molds guys, its not going to get easier.

I remeber the old Lee days. and Mountain has been gone a while BTW. Does NOE have anything in stock?

Quote Originally Posted by truckjohn View Post
    Group buys were a big deal back when there were very few companies cutting custom molds. If you wanted something outside the RCBS/Lyman/Saeco/Lee catalog, you were completely out of luck.

Remember, 90% of the group buy molds 15 years ago were Lee. Even the now famous Ranch Dog was a Lee mold, and he had all sorts of supply and quality issues.

Now, there are several makers like Accurate, Mountain molds, and NOE. These guys changed the game. I honestly believe that there's just not a need like there was. You can get all sorts of different patterns and sizes out of any of them, as well as the ability to custom order a mold if you want something special.

Boolit Master

Personally, I just want the molds I signed up for; enough excuses, just fulfill the obligation. While many of us wait 18+ months, the mold makers are still pumping out other GB molds from our, and other sites.

Just food for thought........

HV
    Life's biggest tragedy is we get old too soon, and wise too late.

The people's republic of Commifornia, in Somerset
    I just got an invoice from miha for the 227-63gn hp Mold I signed up for. Looks like things are moving. Thanks to Lakehouse for visiting and maybe jumpstarting this.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    I see no reason to wait on a group buy when you can get a custom mold done to your specs from Accurate at an affordable price in 3-4 weeks turnaround. And the mold will fit your gun and not be the luck of the blind hog finding an acorn based on some mass market compromise.
    +1. Excellent in every way.
    -Paul

Boolit Mold
    same here and my mold from Miha is on the way, I have fedex # now.