RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Inline FabricationLoad DataTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 350 Legend Deer Load

Boolit Buddy
    I've been running all my boolits in my rifles with gas checks. For the 350 legend, I'm sizing to .357. I also have a 35 whelen and I run those at .358. I took a deer last year with the Lee 358-200-rf 50/50 air cooled over 13g red dot in my whelen. Shot was about 80 yards and did the trick with little issue.

200 gr RCBS with RL-7 cycles my BCA in 350 Legend. My chamber in the BCA rifle is large enough that 0.358" bullets (using Starline brass) will chamber and there is plenty of clearance to release the bullet. Fired cases mic 0.382" ish, same with my 10.5" BCA in 350L. I swapped bbls on a 10.5" 5.56 BCA pistol upper and used a BCA 10.5" 350 L bbl. I have only shot 100 cast rounds thru mine BCA rifle mainly 200 gr RCBS & 180 gr NOE WFN (NOE loaded with AA1680) both function fine using Ruger 350 L magazines

I have shot 100's of cast loads thru my bolt action 350's. I have a Rem M Seven Predator (was a 223 ) JES re-bored and used my custom reamer the mouth is 0.003" larger than SAAMI min. With WW brass I can use 0.359 /0.360". In my Ruger All American I only shot cast that is loaded in Starline brass.

Boolit Master
    rtyler8140; In that 35 Whelen & that 13 gr. Red Dot charge, What kind of velocity were you getting with that 200 gr. boolit? If you don't mind me asking.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by versa-06 View Post
    rtyler8140; In that 35 Whelen & that 13 gr. Red Dot charge, What kind of velocity were you getting with that 200 gr. boolit? If you don't mind me asking.
    Info in the pic below:

Boolit Master
    Thanks! Answered all of my questions, Very descriptive. Almost same vel. as posted for 358 Win. In old Lyman Handbook. #358315 206 gr. 13.0 gr. Red Dot 1505 fps.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by versa-06 View Post
    Thanks! Answered all of my questions, Very descriptive. Almost same vel. as posted for 358 Win. In old Lyman Handbook. #358315 206 gr. 13.0 gr. Red Dot 1505 fps.
    Just saw your location, small world. My dad grew up in Ewing & went to Thomas Walker. Used to spend 2 weeks every summer down there when I was a kid.

Boolit Master
    Small world with a lot of good people, But!!! It seems to be Falling Away!!! Hope to chat some more, & I love the 35's & up.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rickt300 View Post
    I also have a Whelen and plan to play with some cast loads using Blue Dot when time permits. Oddly my Legend is not giving me any issues with barrel fouling. None in fact the barrel is spotless and shiny. I am surely beyond 50 shots since a thorough cleaning. My alloy of 50% WW and 50% pure must be harder than range scrap.
    Glad to hear that your barrel shoots them without any lead deposits. I don't receive the streaking or caking, but at 1,900 to 2,000 fps the tight patches push out small lead flakes at the end of a shooting session, even powder coated. This is with H2400 or H4227 (yes, older powder that is still very good). I'm trying next range time to see if slowing them down into the 1,800 fps area will make a difference. Next casting session I'll water drop these NOE 182WFN instead of air cooling. That may assist in toughening up the exterior to keep this from happening. I really enjoy the effect they have on water jugs, though. No doubt a good whitetail load.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NOE 182 WFN GC PC Water Jugs 100 yds 26gr H2400.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	14.9 KB 
ID:	299931

My Bullseye loads are under 1,100 fps, IIRC. Fun little poppers and with the right boolit can be impressively accurate. Last time out was with Lyman 358156 powder coated but without the gas checks. 7 grains of Bullseye and large pistol primers. Accuracy wasn't so good at 100 yards with this combination. 20 more are now loaded up with the gas checks attached and the boolits sorted and weighed. Curious how those will do.

I am air cooling, have yet to water quench anything for this rifle. Just shot another 50 through the barrel and still it looks perfect, shiny. I just ran out of I4227(love that powder) and will start a workup using H110 next series of tests. As long as it puts bullets into 1 1/2 inches at 100 yards I ain't messing with it. May save the 1680 for some J bullets I have lined up.

Boolit Buddy
    Guys, fwiw, Deadshot barrels makes a 358 legend barrel that is correctly sized with a bore that is made for 357-358 diameter boollits. I'm cheap, and my cmmg barrel shoots jacketed so well that I can't justify the expense.

Quote Originally Posted by geezer56 View Post
    Guys, fwiw, Deadshot barrels makes a 358 legend barrel that is correctly sized with a bore that is made for 357-358 diameter boollits. I'm cheap, and my cmmg barrel shoots jacketed so well that I can't justify the expense.
    Same for my BCA barrel which after 200 rounds of powder coated bullets has become very polished. Burned around 150 jacketed bullets already and they performed just fine. Can't wait til this fall and doing the real testing.

Well dragging this back up. I have a couple of pounds of H110 to use. I have noted some posts saying that maybe H110/296 may not be good with cast bullets, not sure why. Maybe too easy to get them moving. So that leaves a can of 1680. Does this powder have to be run at top velocities? I would like to run 1900-2000 feet per second.

Boolit Grand Master

I have used 296 /110 with cast for years in revolvers and Contenders in 41 Mag and 414 Supermag. But we only shoot heavy for caliber with a heavy crimp.
    Not in the need for super speed.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master
    H110 seems to work for some folks, but it gave me poor ignition. Some rounds of any given batch seemed notably less powerful and I even stuck a few bullets in the barrel.

I switched to WC 680 (milsurp version of 1680) and was very pleased. The gun seems to like loads that are say 98% fill (just shy of full up to the bullet base).

This was with my 357AR Max (ballistic twin - same AOL & very close on effective case capacity) and custom 180 or 200 gr NLG cast bullets with PC.

Boolit Master

I have a number of pet cast loads in my Legend Bolt gun. My M$R shoots Fury 170g with 296 almost exclusively as its Faxon barrel has proven picky and this Fury/296 load works.

But a NOE 360/181 cup point and Blue Dot shoots 1600 fps and overlaps holes with numbing repeatability. I powder
    Coat the bullets and removed the gc so the mold drops PB bullets now. I see ZERO need for a GC on a powder
    Coated bullet under 1800fps. I have shot many past 2K with zero fouling but pressures to attain that warrent a gc.

A MP 359/220 was mentioned and is a favorite in my 356/358's but it was used last year with 5744 to take a couple
    Deer and it worked perfectly & 1500 fps. Dime sized exits taking ribs deer expired with in 50/60' and there reaction was close to archery. Jump and walk off dying mid stride. Shots inside 150'

I like the idea of 1750/1800 fpr a cast bullet deer hunting velocity and strive to achieve that. But dont be afraid of a lil
    Less as long as you act the hunter not the shooter. Place shots on calm close animals And you will have a full freezer.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Quote Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
    I have a number of pet cast loads in my Legend Bolt gun. My M$R shoots Fury 170g with 296 almost exclusively as its Faxon barrel has proven picky and this Fury/296 load works.

But a NOE 360/181 cup point and Blue Dot shoots 1600 fps and overlaps holes with numbing repeatability. I powder
    Coat the bullets and removed the gc so the mold drops PB bullets now. I see ZERO need for a GC on a powder
    Coated bullet under 1800fps. I have shot many past 2K with zero fouling but pressures to attain that warrent a gc.

A MP 359/220 was mentioned and is a favorite in my 356/358's but it was used last year with 5744 to take a couple
    Deer and it worked perfectly & 1500 fps. Dime sized exits taking ribs deer expired with in 50/60' and there reaction was close to archery. Jump and walk off dying mid stride. Shots inside 150'

I like the idea of 1750/1800 fpr a cast bullet deer hunting velocity and strive to achieve that. But dont be afraid of a lil
    Less as long as you act the hunter not the shooter. Place shots on calm close animals And you will have a full freezer.

CW
    I do have some Blue Dot. Could you give me a ball park starting load and velocity range?

Boolit Master

Blue dot can be quite sketchy so start low and work up. Watching for pressures and they can come quickly.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12