Lee PrecisionRepackboxWidenersTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Load Data

Thread: Score

Boolit Bub

Score

Was working on a D4D dozer that was on property when we moved on to today, needed a couple of bolts so off to the equipment boneyard I go, on my search I go into to a outbuilding my Wife's Dad had built and stacked s*** in moved a bunch of stuff around and TADA there they where 50-70 lb ingots of lead figured there is about 400 lbs total all engraved with his name, he was a reloader and caster, do not know was hardness or composition they are, will figure that out in time.

Boolit Master
    That is a good deal. I doubt you will pick them up and drop them on concrete to see if they thud or ring though... Do a scratch test, or buy the pencil set for a quick idea of what range of hardness you discovered. Or quick and dirty, tap with a light hammer to hear the sound.

Boolit Bub

No ring they are a softer lead for sure, FIL did cast when he had his faculties, have found 44's, 45's, and some 50 cals he casted

Boolit Grand Master

Nice find!

I can feel the excitement when they were discovered. Thanks for sharing.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Boolit Bub

yes it was excitement,and with everything we find he has hidden.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Great find. That’ll keep you busy for a while!

Like treasure hunting, good fine.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master
    Now, about that dozer?

Boolit Bub

Quote Originally Posted by Rickf1985 View Post
    Now, about that dozer?

Was my wife's fathers, he gave it to her about 3 yrs before he passed with the property she Inherited from him, Not sure of the yr but Serial # starts 78A1 he took out the pony and put in elect start, he took care of it, well 2 yrs before he passed, we had wife's daughter here helping to take of him, her wart she had at the time learned to run it, so is why I am working on it, mud packed every where, out of fuel, clutch inspection plate missing/ laying on underbody plate so clutch brake was just soaked in oil, and right side track idler wheel bracket was broke, put 900 dollars in getting a hydra cylinder rebuilt, all that is needed now is to get tracks adjusted ( correctly) top off fluids, and replace one more batt, will add a vid once it is doing what it was built for.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bentstick View Post
    Was my wife's fathers, he gave it to her about 3 yrs before he passed with the property she Inherited from him, Not sure of the yr but Serial # starts 78A1 he took out the pony and put in elect start, he took care of it, well 2 yrs before he passed, we had wife's daughter here helping to take of him, her wart she had at the time learned to run it, so is why I am working on it, mud packed every where, out of fuel, clutch inspection plate missing/ laying on underbody plate so clutch brake was just soaked in oil, and right side track idler wheel bracket was broke, put 900 dollars in getting a hydra cylinder rebuilt, all that is needed now is to get tracks adjusted ( correctly) top off fluids, and replace one more batt, will add a vid once it is doing what it was built for.

My wife's family is in the process of cleaning out selling the contents of their Dad's
    garage. 29 60/40 solder bars,13 50/50 bars, some mystery bars and about 400 pounds of old lead ingots. My wife's brother is dead set on selling all the lead for scrap prices, I did manage to get about 50#'s of lead and the bars of solder and such because he has no idea what they are or the value of them.

Boolit Master
    Get the price from the scrap dealer and buy the remainder if you can.

Boolit Master
    Agreed, It is well worth scrap price which is 1.00 or less a lb.

Boolit Bub

Well big ingots are melted down to 1 lb ingots and after setting 25 days the lead comes out to about 12 BHN. Tested with the Cabin Tree/ST Machining tester, as side note found another 3 Blocks of lead each weigh 120-128 lbs yet to be rendered down to 1 lb ingots, very time poor ATM work has gone bat crap crazy more people need their house trimmed out than our crew has bodies to keep up, not a bad thing but this body needs a me time, that wont happen until after the 4th of July. Yes Rickf1985 that includes the dozer, although the 52 N has done some work and food plots are growing like crazy after this weekend.

Boolit Master

Congratulations!
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Super!
    I scored two 5 gal buckets FULL yesterday of wheel weights.
    A little light shining in the darkness!

Boolit Master
    Well big ingots are melted down to 1 lb ingots and after setting 25 days the lead comes out to about 12 BHN. Tested with the Cabin Tree/ST Machining tester, as side note found another 3 Blocks of lead each weigh 120-128 lbs yet to be rendered down to 1 lb ingots, very time poor ATM work has gone bat crap crazy more people need their house trimmed out than our crew has bodies to keep up, not a bad thing but this body needs a me time, that wont happen until after the 4th of July. Yes Rickf1985 that includes the dozer, although the 52 N has done some work and food plots are growing like crazy after this weekend.
    Projects like the dozer are what I call relaxation projects, expensive ones but something to do in spare time and have fun doing.

Boolit Master
    Projects like the dozer are what I call relaxation projects, expensive ones, but something to do in spare time and have fun doing.

Boolit Bub

Oh I agree 100% issue is after working all day 10-12 hrs plus hr commute each way, it dont leave much time to get honey do's done during the week and have to catch up on weekends.