RepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Load Data Wideners

Thread: .380 boolits

Question .380 boolits

Are there any HPs for .380 that are between 65 and 75 grains? The reason I ask is that when fired from a snub-nose pistol like my EDC, the HPs that are 90 - 100gr frequently lack the velocity for expansion. Theoretically, if a lighter bullet was used, higher velocities could be reached, and HPs might perform properly out short barreled pistols.

Thanks for your help.
    "There is no saint without a past, no sinner without a future."

- Saint Augustine

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    A hollow point bullet that light in .380 ACP which is fragile enough to expand will have inadequate penetration for defense against anything larger than a weasel.

The Remington 102-grain Golden Saber Ultimate Defense Short barrel load gives 850 fps and expands reliably from my Ruger LCP and gives 12 inches penetration in calibrated gelatin maintained to FBI standard.

The Federal HST and Hornady Critical Defense loads are also satisfactory. Use cast loads for practice and carry factory for SD.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

Agree with Outpost75 on the weasels.

Go flat point solid. I run Winchester Q4206 Wally World White Box for carry. The Ranch Dog tumble lube mold is a pretty good approximation of the shape. Available from NOE as the 358-100RF; from Accurate as the 35-098R; or from Lee as the TL356-95-RF.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master
    Have you looked at the copper solids? I think that Lehigh makes them. Have not tested, but bought to try in my sig p365. Not .380 but close.

Boolit Master

Oops...double post removed.

To Mods - please delete this post.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master

Jason Statham, in the movie "Parker", assails a Paycheck company for their bankroll by shooting one of the "bullet-proof vest wearing" employees in the shoulder with a 380 (Walther - I think). Parker then aims the 380 at the other employee, who has a much bigger, but holstered gun. While the other employee scoffs at being shot with such a "diminutive" caliber, Parker quips a humorous but truth-be-told, "It won't kill you, but it hurts."

I got a real chuckle and "take away" from that remark. I interchangeably carry a 380 for defense, though I prefer a 357 Mag. I purchased, when it was available, a 6-cavity, aluminum, Ranch Dog TL358-100-RF mold. At 104 grains (my alloy), the truncated cone boolits pour "like butter" from the mold, size and lube easily, load cases well, shoot better, and hit plenty hard from a pair of Walther PPK. I wouldn't want to be "hurt" by one, though I know that in 1953, the World Record Grizzly Bear was taken in Alaska by a native Inuit Indian girl with one "well placed" shot behind its ear, at arms-length distance, from a single shot 22LR rifle.

Would I go grizzly hunting with a 22LR (or 380)? No. But if either is "what I have", I will do my best with it.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master
    Reminds me of a short story by William Faulkner where an elderly black gentleman is shot with a 32 revolver (if I remember right) near the Memphis train station. He fell down and folks started to unpeel him. First, an old WW1 wool overcoat, then a cotton jumper under that, then a wool shirt, then a long handled undershirt, until they got down to his belly, and there it was resting just on top of his skin.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Sorry for the late reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    A hollow point bullet that light in .380 ACP which is fragile enough to expand will have inadequate penetration for defense against anything larger than a weasel.

The Remington 102-grain Golden Saber Ultimate Defense Short barrel load gives 850 fps and expands reliably from my Ruger LCP and gives 12 inches penetration in calibrated gelatin maintained to FBI standard.
    Did you mean this Golden Saber: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxpKhBwD8_s ?

Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post
    Have you looked at the copper solids? I think that Lehigh makes them. Have not tested, but bought to try in my sig p365. Not .380 but close.
    I have heard of them. I have some. They are expensive bullets and since Wilson Combat bought Lehigh, I haven't been able to order any more.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but when HPs were developed for police carry in .38 Spcl, the bullet weight was lightened from 158gr to about 120gr. My theory, which I'm hoping to test next year, is that a similar lightening of bullet in .380 could lead to more consistent performance out of snub nose pistols. I believe Barnes has an 80gr hollow point and I intend to test it, but I was wondering if there might be a 70 or 75gr option.

I will concede that the 102gr GS HPs expanded quite well in the video I linked, but they had inadequate penetration. Furthermore, I have seen .380 ammo tested that performed differently when tested by different people. Specifically, StB410 tested 3 or 4 loading of the hornady XTPs and found that they all expanded and all penetrated between 12 and 18 inches, with or without 4 layers of denim. However, in other tests, the Fiochi loading failed to expand at all.

- Saint Augustine

Boolit Master
    This sounds like an application for zinc. It'll cast at slightly higher temps than lead. If you have a hollow point mold, melt some zinc and cast away. Should be 60 or 70% of its lead twin

Boolit Master

Small caliber I will take penetration over expansion every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer in NH View Post
    Agreed

- Saint Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer in NH View Post
    My 1959 copy of the Waffen Frankonia catalog* points out the deeper penetration and higher magazine capacity of the 32 ACP over the 380.

*Der Ratgeber für den Jäger