Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Repackbox
Wideners Lee Precision
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: have you been lied to? stolen valor

Boolit Master

have you been lied to? stolen valor

its a common thing these days for some veterans groups or individuals collecting for many different causes. but the stuff that burns me up the most is the wave of phonies that buy milsurp garb get all dressed up with all sorts of metals and such that they were never awarded and claim to be something they are not.
    have any of you come in contact with any of these fools?

Boolit Master

Yes. For those who served it becomes obvious quickly - for those who have not served; not so much. Some are very polished Con-Artists.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master
    I've seen quite a few fakes, but the one who burned me personally was a client for a number of years that quietly advertised that he is a veteran of Vietnam. I offer significant discounts to any service member - past and present. He was in the reception area and another long time client came in that is in charge of a veteran's support group (specifically Vietnam, Falkland, and Grenada veterans) - name of Danny. He began quizzing this fella about his tour (s) and unit, etc. During his appointment, Danny let me know that the guy is either quite confused or a fraud - it turned out to be the latter. Apparently, he had been stealing valor for at least 4 decades, collected many benefits and more importantly, stole from those who have served.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Are you talking about trick-or-treaters on Halloween?

Boolit Master

Though I have never encountered one of these guys up close, except stories revealed on the news and the VA newsfeed about prosecutions relating to false claims. This is one topic that burns me up.
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

We were talking about that just the other day. I remember Adm. Mike Boorda, good man who did a great job as CNO- Rising from Seaman to Admiral. We'll never really know why he added to his awards, but he took his own life over it.

My CO at the time had everyone in the command's records screened and had a personnel inspection to verify that people were wearing the correct ribbons. I got dinged for not have my ribbons awarded for action in the Viet Nam war, he was a little angry about it and asked me why? Protest? Nope, they are in my record, but according to the dates I would have been 8 years old at the time of the event. Getting those OUT of my record took a very long time and a lot of effort. Someone else's stuff had landed in my record. The days before computers, I always wondered if it robbed him of benefits.

I was involved in an investigation, it was long and drawn out but NIS at the time had some persistent people in it, I'll hit the high spots. Master Chief in the Navy, quite a lot of service awards was spotted in a Marine Corps uniform, wearing a different name tag. Upshot of the investigation he was an admin type who was processing service jackets out of Viet Nam, he would steal identities and set himself up in the reserves, he had several and had managed to juggle things around to collect paychecks and benefits under different names. Don't worry.. they threw away that key when he went to the garden spot of Kansas.
    Last edited by beezapilot; 05-01-2022 at 12:38 PM.
    The essence of education is self reliance- T.H. White.

Currently seeking wood carving tools, wood planes, froes, scorps, spokeshaves... etc....

Moderator Emeritus

Once in person. I was with my nephew who is air force and we ran into some dude pretending to be a hotshot pilot with 20 kills and a chest full of decorations. After 4 questions my nephew lit into him big time, so bad the dude undressed and left everything but his skivvies. My nephew burned the fakes clothes when we got back to his cabin in Alaska. We had made a trip into Anchorage for supplies for the hunting trip and the guy was standing in front of a store trying to get donations.

MANY times online!

Boolit Master

There have always been Fake's read about how LBJ joined the Navy and got the Silver Star. One of his Biggest lie's of all.

As far as Admiral Boorda I think there was a lot more going on than a medal but the one time I ran into him he was nice enough to let me go to my rack and sleep instead of listening to his talk in the chief's mess.

Come to think of it Mike Blumenthal, the ATTORNEY GENERAL for the state of Connecticut, claimed he served in Viet Nam when he was running for senator.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/18/n...lumenthal.html

No better than caging drinks at the bar.
    The essence of education is self reliance- T.H. White.

Currently seeking wood carving tools, wood planes, froes, scorps, spokeshaves... etc....

I've only busted one. A Marine 'Viet Nam vet.' who was born right around 1960.
    The book "Stolen Valor" is nothing but accounts of it, and some very famous people are listed in it with their cases.
    One guy who was buried in Arlington was dug up and thrown out.
    After the book came out, I think stolen valor was made a felony.

A common thread that runs through all the cases I've seen is that none of these characters was ever a cook, worked in Supply,
    a truck driver, or mechanic, etc. They all claim to have been some highly decorated, super Rambo type.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

When the Chris Kyle movie came out you couldn't go to a bar without someone claiming to be a "sniper". When I would ask them what a KD range was, wind drift or reading mirage most didn't have a clue.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master
    My closest neighbor, The Hermit, is a "Vietnan Vet". He has a hat proclaiming so. He was in the army during the conflict but was stateside for his tour of duty. He loves being thanked for his service.

He got **** faced one day and told me his story of being under fire during the civil unrest in Detroit in the late 60's.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by beezapilot View Post
    Come to think of it Mike Blumenthal, the ATTORNEY GENERAL for the state of Connecticut, claimed he served in Viet Nam when he was running for senator.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/18/n...lumenthal.html

No better than caging drinks at the bar.
    What's more surprising is Blumenthal was elected, re-elected, and still sits in the Senate today

Search utube for "stolen valor" to view hundreds of vids of "stolen valor" confrontations, posted by people who have made outing these phonies their life long mission.
    jmo,
    Size/Prime a few cases when starting off with a progressive and put them aside. You can plug them back into the process when a bad/odd case screws up in the priming station and continue loading.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Kenstone View Post
    What's more surprising is Blumenthal was elected, re-elected, and still sits in the Senate today

Search utube for "stolen valor" to view hundreds of vids of "stolen valor" confrontations, posted by people who have made outing these phonies their life long mission.
    jmo,
    It appears that democrats in CN have no shame. He is a crook, but he is THEIR crook.

Boolit Buddy
    years ago, I was with my dad on a fishing trip in Louisiana. We down Bourbon street one afternoon and a guy approached my dad and said" got any change for a Vietnam vet?......." My dad got quiet and looked at the guy funny, then asked what year he was born..........the guy stumbled a bit and shot out a year...my dad looked at him and said " you were to (Bleeping) young to be in Nam, I was there in 67 & 68......you weren't" its kinda weird when the guy with the real 1000yd stare meets a phony.....

Boolit Master

i worked part time as a bartender for several years after I got back from VN in 69. I am told that there were 500 Navy SEALS who served in VN. While tending bar, I met at least 5,000 of them.

Boolit Master
    Don't remember if this was true but John Kerry got taken to task after several swift boat vets downright questioned his getting a medal for some deed and the guys said he'd never been with them. Frank

Quote Originally Posted by samari46 View Post
    Don't remember if this was true but John Kerry got taken to task after several swift boat vets downright questioned his getting a medal for some deed and the guys said he'd never been with them. Frank
    Kerry was there from Dec. '68, to Apr. '69 and was assigned to the SWIFT boats.
    He was awarded a Silver Star, a Bronze Star.
    After receiving his 3rd Purple Heart, he applied for and was granted an early return from Viet Nam.
    According to some Sailors that served with him, he greatly embellished his actions.

EVERYONE!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    Kerry was there from Dec. '68, to Apr. '69 and was assigned to the SWIFT boats.
    He was awarded a Silver Star, a Bronze Star.
    After receiving his 3rd Purple Heart, he applied for and was granted an early return from Viet Nam.
    According to some Sailors that served with him, he greatly embellished his actions.
    Yes that, and I recall he thru those medals away at a public war protest rally after his return from VN.
    Could be wrong about that though, might have been someone else...
    Size/Prime a few cases when starting off with a progressive and put them aside. You can plug them back into the process when a bad/odd case screws up in the priming station and continue loading.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenstone View Post
    Yes that, and I recall he thru those medals away at a public war protest rally after his return from VN.
    Could be wrong about that though, might have been someone else...
    He did, and became a leader in the Viet Nam vets against the war too..... at least as long as he benefitted from it.
    After he was in the Senate-- he didn't talk about that too much.

EVERYONE!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast