Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee Precision
Inline FabricationWidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Repackbox

Thread: Plug For Handloader

Boolit Master

Plug For Handloader

Seems like every time Handloader Magazine comes up, there are a boatload of comments to the effect that "it ain't what it used to be" and "I'm too smart and well informed to buy the rag".

Well, I received my latest copy a couple of days ago and I might feel the same way if I was smarter and could remember "the old days". But the fact is, this latest issue has the usual stuff that I enjoy such as Brian Pierce's question and answer and an article on a Weatherby rifle/cartridge. The article on "Oehler's New System 89 Chronograph" was interesting and points out how far technology has come from the days of the ballistic pendulum. I won't be buying one but it was very interesting to read about.

The article on measurements was another that I found interesting. Granted some of the points of the article were beyond my needs but interesting nevertheless. The article about the Werndl rifle and the description of the making of 11.2X69 Austrian ammunition to fit was interesting also.

I know I have overused the term "interesting" but nothing in the magazine was of any immediate use to me and maybe not of future use either. I do not feel that the magazine was a waste of money. I read all the feature articles and I'm sure i gained something from each of them. When it comes time to renew, I will be reaching for the credit card and signing up for another couple of years. I'm getting to the age that is about as far ahead as I plan.

Thank you for allowing this rant. I'm off to bed now.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master
    I use to get all the magazines some years ago. At the time everything was 1911 this and that.
    Kind of a turn off so never renewed the subscriptions.
    Hand loader was the last one I kept, but for some reason I failed to renew it.
    My shooting, reloading and casting has come to a stop since we moved and I’d like to believe I’ll be able to get back into it some time this year after we get all the priorities of home ownership, honey do’s and the children and grandkids needs start to settle down some.
    Maybe getting the magazine will help get me back into it quicker ?

Mike

Boolit Master

I have every Handloader magazine from first one to the last one of 2021. Enjoy reading the old and the new always find something I didn't know.

Boolit Master
    I liked Handloader the most of what Petersen was putting out. In my view having a Mike and Brian show every issue just narrowed things down too much to keep my interest. Maybe they don't pay enough to get other interesting writers to work for them.

I still enjoy reading Handloader and Rifle.

Years ago the wife said no more stacks of magazines in the house. So now I just subscribe to the digital version. You get access to Rifle, Handloader, BP Cartridge and one other for about the same price as a single paper copy subscription. I get my American Rifleman and Cast Bullet Association Fouling Shot the same way - digital.

Makes hunting for a particular magazine or article much easier when they are all ones and zeros on my computer.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by hporter View Post
    I still enjoy reading Handloader and Rifle.

Years ago the wife said no more stacks of magazines in the house. So now I just subscribe to the digital version. You get access to Rifle, Handloader, BP Cartridge and one other for about the same price as a single paper copy subscription. I get my American Rifleman and Cast Bullet Association Fouling Shot the same way - digital.

Makes hunting for a particular magazine or article much easier when they are all ones and zeros on my computer.
    That's how I did it; wife purchased the dvd set for me one year and now I just buy the dvd at the end of the year.

Boolit Master
    I've been a handloader for several decades. Yet,, I didn't subscribe too often over the years. yet,, about 10 years ago,, I found myself buying more issues off the news stand, and decided to subscribe again.
    I'll agree that sometimes the stuff in there isn't much interest to me. But then again,, I'll find an article or two,, or heck, occasionally most of them is stuff I want to study & read.
    I finally broke down & bought the entire set on DVD,, to compliment my ragged selection of printed copies. Now,, I've found a lot of good stuff in many old back issues.
    It may not teach me much new,, but it DOES dedicate itself to quality handloading. And now I've aged & gotten wiser to where I'll keep my subscription for as long as I can.

Boolit Grand Master

Handloader Magazine is the only one that I have never let my subscription lapse .
    I'm a magazine reader and reloader so I signed up during the early years .
    Being a Pack Rat ( aka hoarder) trying to reform ... I no longer keep old magazines ... but Handloader is the only one I can't not keep ... I just gotta keep em . 6 issues a year isn't too much of a overload ... all the other magazines go to recycler heaven .
    If there's a better Handloading magazine out there ... tell me about it .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dannyd View Post
    I have every Handloader magazine from first one to the last one of 2021. Enjoy reading the old and the new always find something I didn't know.
    Same here, also American Rifleman
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    If there's a better Handloading magazine out there ... tell me about it . Gary
    I can't say it's better, but to follow alamogunr's lead with a plug of my own, the Cast Bullet Associations publication "The Fouling Shot" itself is worth the cost of membership in my opinion. Ed Harris is a monthly contributor, as well as other very knowledgeable folks.

It's not a big publication, but I can't tell you how many times I search back through issues for loading data I remembered reading about.

There are so few published resources on cast bullet loading, it is a pleasure for me to support them, even though I haven't participated in any of the shooting competitions.

Boolit Master

I still subscribe - But the darn thing is just so thin now, compared to what it once was. I wish Brian pierce would assemble his articles and publish them in Book form. Like to have it on the shelf as resource material
    Being human is not for sissies.

I agree, I would like to see a Ken Water's Pet Loads sort of book from Brian Pearce.

He does a lot of work for Loaddata.com, to add to their database. When I see load data from Brian, I always look at the citations to see if the information came from a Handloader article, or something he did on his own. If from a Handloader article, I usually will stop and look the magazine up to read the whole thing.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by square butte View Post
    I still subscribe - But the darn thing is just so thin now, compared to what it once was. I wish Brian pierce would assemble his articles and publish them in Book form. Like to have it on the shelf as resource material

Put me down for a copy . Printed version - softcover would be fine !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Buddy
    Big Handloader fan also.

However, the Makarov article in this month's issue was horrible. Pretty much, saying that the Russians made it to not be lethal since they were afraid of their own soldiers stealing the pistols. That and lack of proof reading which has fun in place of gun (rather than firearm nor pistol) on page 2 of said bad article. No substance much in the article and just bar stool conjecture.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody View Post
    I liked Handloader the most of what Petersen was putting out. In my view having a Mike and Brian show every issue just narrowed things down too much to keep my interest. Maybe they don't pay enough to get other interesting writers to work for them.
    Handloader is/was not a Peterson publication, ever.Thats why it's good! It's not about paying enough to get interesting writers; except for Taffin, the interesting writers are already there. Seems to be a lack of good gunwriters in the world these days.

Well I’m pretty happy with handloader. Sometimes I learn something sometimes not. I very much like the pet loads section, when it covers a caliber I have interest in.

Quote Originally Posted by square butte View Post
    I wish Brian pierce would assemble his articles and publish them in Book form. Like to have it on the shelf as resource material
    Three ring binder and a scanner. Just Sayin'

Boolit Master

I used to think Handloader had "gotten" thinner over the years, and it has.

But compare it to early 1980's issues. And no it's just temporarily reverted to what it was for a time in the past.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master
    I only buy it off the news stand. Some times glancing through it nothing catches my eye. So I pass it up.
    Old retired guy in Baton Rouge La.

Boolit Master
    does anyone have an old copy that has the article about 300mp with load data for 41 mag?