RotoMetals2RepackboxLoad DataWideners
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky

Thread: Carbide Sizing Dies

Carbide Sizing Dies

So a while ago, A mate of mine who casts bullets for a living asked me about a custom sizing die, His Automatic sizer used Lee Sizing Dies. Essentially they were good for around 50,000 sizing's and sometimes there were under or oversize. So i made a prototype in carbide, final polish was done with 0.25 micron diamond paste. We found the ram pushed the projectiles easier then through the Lee dies.. We ended up changing his die holder over to a Lee APP Sizer Die. So I finished off Dies for most of the molds he has.. All things equal, He might have to check these to make sure they are still in spec at around 1 million sizings. Still have to finish off 357, 358, .40 and .500 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image000000 (22).jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	15.7 KB 
ID:	299647

Boolit Grand Master

We all need a friend like you. Nice job.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Oh, I made a set for me as well.... to cover everything i need... Probably outlast me and whoever ends up with them when im ant food.. I get conned into so much ...

Boolit Master

Speaking of brand and quality it's hard to make a straight correlation as long as you do the correct steps to maintain your products. While aluminum is soft and you would think it would be the mold that would go bad the fastest my worst cast hardest to cast mold is a lyman mold . it appears that it is not perfectly squared. You have to hold it just right to make it cast good

Boolit Buddy
    Time to go into business. Great work

Boolit Master
    That's impressive! I've only lapped carbide dies larger with diamond. How do you do the rough cut?
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Like everything, Things wear out.. The Lee dies are fine for 99.99% of people who use them. As for Mold quality, well I've had molds from the best mold makers, some went in the bin.. But i can say, I've never had a bad mold from Accurate or MP .

Fabulous! I thought I was doing great when I drilled a hole in a hardened bolt.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Master

Well done, well done
    What do you use for a pusher rod?

Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Quote Originally Posted by skeettx View Post
    Well done, well done
    What do you use for a pusher rod?

Mike
    Well, for my Lee APP, I just turned up some from some 304 stainless .. As for my mate, Well he can turn up his own to suit his Auto sizer... Im not that nice..

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M.A.D View Post
    Well, for my Lee APP, I just turned up some from some 304 stainless .. As for my mate, Well he can turn up his own to suit his Auto sizer... Im not that nice..
    For the amount of time you you spent polishing, i think the time taken for a punch is nothing, and a small price to pay.

I size my projectiles nose first, so i just use a punch a little under the size of the projectile i'm sizing. If i was sizing base first, i'd need to make custom punches with the nose shape machined into them. Some of my moulds are a bit over size, so i may need to do them base first in the future.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M.A.D View Post
    Like everything, Things wear out.. The Lee dies are fine for 99.99% of people who use them.
    Roger that, I'm one of them! But, first time I get a mold that I figger to cast a million or more boollits from I'll sure try to get a carbide sizer die for it. For now, my old steel sizers are working nicely and they seem to resist wear reasonably well.