Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Load DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Lee Precision Wideners

Thread: Repairing Mossberg 500 trigger group

Boolit Buddy

Repairing Mossberg 500 trigger group

Have a kid on the trap team that has a Mossberg 500 with broken tabs on his trigger group. It allows the front of the trigger group to droop down and the action comes out of battery without firing or pressing the release. Has anyone successfully repaired this problem with epoxy or JB Weld and had it last or would it be better just to replace the trigger group? I was thinking it might be possible to build up the broken area and reshape it but not sure it would last long.

Boolit Bub
    Replace the trigger assembly. $50 - 80 on ebay

Boolit Grand Master

By the time you build it back up reshape and fit it the time involved will offset the new parts cost.

Boolit Master
    I would think there are ample new or good used parts for a mossberg 500. hopefully the parts are less expensive than a new barrel, I tried to find a choke tube barrel for my old slugster and they are priced at about 2x what I paid for the gun. in my way of thinking its always better to replace with new parts if at all possible

Boolit Master
    I have repaired a couple of Mossberg trigger assemblies with JB Weld.
    They tend to break when someone disassembles them wrong.
    And when I bought the shotgun , the trigger assembly was scotch taped in.
    You can give it a shot and gain experience.
    It ain't a slam dunk repair , but it works, and holds up.
    I don't know the extent of your damage , so I can't guide you on how to do the repair.
    But on one , I did the repair while I waited for a used part to be ordered right in the middle of hunting season.
    But I am one of those guys that says.
    Why Buy , when you can Build or repair.
    Last edited by LAGS; 04-29-2022 at 02:16 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the info. I'll see what they want to do. Might try to repair it just for the heck of it, see if it can be done. Even if they want to replace a new part. It's junk anyhow as it is so can't hurt anything. Will any trigger group work as long as it matches the safety style of the original? Not sure if these may have changed any over the years. It looks to be an older Mossberg.

Boolit Master
    I too vote for you trying to do your own repair even if you are going to look for another trigger assembly or just the part you think you need.
    I think all the 500 frames were the same thru many years as long as you match the caliber you have.
    I do know that the .410 model is smaller.
    But I always push for building your skills , especially with junk parts.
    Because you never know when you will come across something where parts are no longer available, or just flat Cost too much for repairing a gun you got cheap.
    Please keep us posted and post pictures if you can.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by LAGS View Post
    I too vote for you trying to do your own repair even if you are going to look for another trigger assembly or just the part you think you need.
    I think all the 500 frames were the same thru many years as long as you match the caliber you have.
    I do know that the .410 model is smaller.
    But I always push for building your skills , especially with junk parts.
    Because you never know when you will come across something where parts are no longer available, or just flat Cost too much for repairing a gun you got cheap.
    Please keep us posted and post pictures if you can.
    They are opting to replace with a used group but said I can try to repair the broken one. So will see what I can do. Curious if it'll work and if it does, for how long. Will take some pics along the way.

Boolit Master

I have a 55 year old Westernfield by Mossberg 12 gauge that had the same problem. I thought about trying to repair it but found a NOS trigger group for $60 on line. At that time (4 years ago) the guy had several for sale. It worked but required a little contouring to fit properly. My dad purchased this firearm in 1967 for around the same price as the trigger group cost me.

Many for sale on Ebay, just don't get one for a Maverick! $65-$85. The reason why the gun won't stay in battery is because the bolt release lever is the only thing that holds the bolt in battery. It comes up behind the bolt until the hammer drops and it is disengaged. If the front tab is broken off the front of the Trigger group then it is drooping down and that lever is not engaged behind the bolt ,,, It is below the bolt.

Don't skimp on this part! Just buy the whole unit and install it and your problems are over. You are not going to get any kind of Glue to stick to the plastic trigger guard.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    Many for sale on Ebay, just don't get one for a Maverick! $65-$85. The reason why the gun won't stay in battery is because the bolt release lever is the only thing that holds the bolt in battery. It comes up behind the bolt until the hammer drops and it is disengaged. If the front tab is broken off the front of the Trigger group then it is drooping down and that lever is not engaged behind the bolt ,,, It is below the bolt.

Don't skimp on this part! Just buy the whole unit and install it and your problems are over. You are not going to get any kind of Glue to stick to the plastic trigger guard.

Randy
    Yessir, this is exactly what was happening. I replaced the trigger group and all is good now. Kid even shot his own personal best round the day I fixed it for him which was pretty cool.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by hawkenhunter50 View Post
    Yessir, this is exactly what was happening. I replaced the trigger group and all is good now. Kid even shot his own personal best round the day I fixed it for him which was pretty cool.
    Gotta love it when something you did hits one out of the park. Your kid is going to figure you’re some kind of wizard!