Inline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingWidenersSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Repackbox Load Data
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Small pistol primer is 357 mag loads

Boolit Master
    The only 357 loads i us emag primers for is 296/h110.If you find and old winchester loading book you use to get from the dealer selling the powder it only calls for mag primers with 296.Not saying i dont believe that the fireing pin gets some wear or gas cutting.but i have not seen this on any of my S&W revolvers.I got some of mine new in the 80s 686s and 586s

Quote Originally Posted by NSB View Post
    If you follow several sites on this subject it’s pretty much coming to light that there may not really be a difference between them, or if there is it’s slight. I still use mag primers for 296 and 110. I might play with that sometime soon as well.
    What sites discuss this subject?
    Thanks for the real world experience.
    If you start experimenting with SR instead of SPM, let us know.
    You make me think about that one.
    That would be helpful. Lots of SR in stock with far fewer SPM.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Master
    FISHBUGS.I do remeber reading some threads here about swapping primers for different things.It seems to come up when there is a paninc going on.I am sure there has been more than one thread here as well about mg primer VS standard.

Now i got away from shooting and loading for a while.I decided to get all my loading gear out around my Birthday at the end of Sepetemer 2014.There was a gun show that weekend.I went and got caught up on the current prices. Did a little shopping local and never got back to a gun show till Jauary 2015 right after the Sandy Hook shooting.There was nothing to be had anywhere for a long time it took several years before I could buy any reloading supplies.Lessons learned.The old days were gone for good.No more running out o powder and primers and heading the the LGS and buying more any time i was out.Stock up when you can and buy as much as you can as funds allow.Save your money when there is paininc buying for when things calm down.Then buy buy buy.I look at it this way.I am investing money in my GUN 401k.My goal is 2 pronged here first never worrie about the next panic and have enough stash of everything while i am working to not have to buy much after retirement.

Boolit Master
    I never loaded .357 with mag primers. But, never used 296 either. Mostly Unique, Blue Dot, 2400 and AA 7.

Boolit Master
    It might also be worth remembering that some of the first .357 Magnum rounds were developed using small rifle primers.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Quote Originally Posted by FISH4BUGS View Post
    Opinion or experience?
    Experience. I will say that I only buy magnum primers when it is an option and use them in everything but I have used more standard small pistol primers with Win 231 than I can count without an issue of any kind.

231 does not care if it is in a 38 Spl case or 357 Mag case, same load, same bullet weight, just use Small Pistol primers. Shot thousands in competition. With Rugers Colts, Smiths, Smolts and a Clarke 1911 38 Spl gun.

If you are piercing primers with a M-28, suggest you might want to get the firing pin diameter checked with the firing pin hole in the frame. Sounds like you may have an oversized firing pin hole or even possibly a week hammer spring. did you turn the hammer spring tensioning screw out?
    The 28 should shoot 38 Spls, just about forever, without any incident.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Master
    SP primers with most powders for 357 Mags. SPM for 296/H-110.............optional for 2400. Most older manuals called for magnum primers when using 2400 (357 & 44 Mag). I have and still wouldn't hesitate to use magnum primers with 2400, if push came to shove. Reduce load, accordingly, if your on the fence.

Winelover

Boolit Grand Master

I've used SPP with my 357 Mag. I use them with the faster powders like 231, bullseye and Promo for light to med loads with no problems. The SPM I save for slower powders like W296/H110 when heading for top velocity for hunting.

Like Winelover I've used both with 2400 with no seeming difference but I'd still go with the previous statement on this.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

As of 2017 - Reloading data lists these primers to be used with the 357 magnum. CCI 550 Mag., WSPM, FED 200, REM 5 1/2

Reloading data lists these primers to be used with the 38 special and 38special +P. CCI 500,Rem 1 1/2, Fed 100, WSP,

Speer list the CCI 550Mag primer for Alliant 2400. This info is available at all primer manufacture websites.

Boolit Grand Master

It is probable there won't be any pressure difference between a MSPP and a SPP in 38 SPL Or 357 magnum cases with such powders as 231, Bullseye, Red Dot, etc. The reason being that load of 231 will produce only so much pressure regardless of the primer used to ignite it. There were a couple previous threads with actual test data regarding the subject.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...the-357-Magnum

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...mers-psi-tests
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Grand Master

The "small standard vs magnum" has been discussed on every reloading forum I visit to the tune of (seemingly) 10,000 times. Answers vary from "yes do it, to "yes but do another load workup or reduce loads by ??%", amounts vary. to "No,1 you'll put your eye out". Over the years I have tried probably every primer swap easily done (I even reamed/deepened some 45 ACP primer pockets and used large rifle magnum primers). But as "Reloading 101", I did another load work up, from min. loads and up. I doubt if I'm the only one to do this, but I've never heard of any KABOOMS from any primer switch and the most common problem was pierced primers (pistol primers in rifle applications). Normally if someone needs to ask the answer is "no, get more experience and do some "primer study"...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Might there be a difference with j words or less.
    I go look now but I'm running the master caster.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by FISH4BUGS View Post
    Opinion or experience?
    I can answer that.

357 mag / win231 / 158gr works very well with standard small pistol primers.

My yRuger GP100 4.2" shot hits on steel at 90 yards. 6.5gr Win231, SNS 158gr RNFP coated.

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC

Boolit Master

Use them all the time. No issues. There should be a sticky on "The great primer debate". Primer choice is far less important than many believe.

Boolit Grand Master

Experience here too. For quite a while I only reloaded 38/357 and 44 Special/Magnum. I used a lot of W231 and only used standard primers, mostly CCI. In my 357 loads, even when I used upper loads with 158gr LSWC I got very consistent performance/velocities using standard primers (book velocities are a bit over 1,100 fps.)...

Well, OK then. I just cast , sized and lubed some 2000 H&G # 51's.
    Because I don't want to make a huge mistake (ask me how I know), I will load 50 (I am going to up the charge to 6.0 gr.) and see how they do.
    Then comes a marathon loading session or three to take care of the next 2 years of 357's!
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Master
    I’ve spent the last two weeks loading up a few hundred rounds of several powders and bullets trying to find a load my new 357max barrel likes. Haven’t found anything yet to meet my expectations (this is my fourth .357max gun, been loading it for about fifteen years). Anyway, for primers I’ve tried CCI400, CCI450, Rem 6 1/2, Fed GM205MAR, WSR, WSPM, Fed205M, Tula SPM. I’ve used 5744, 296, 4227, Rel7, 1680, H110 (same as 296), 2400, N110, and N120. I’ve had ZERO ignition problems, no signs of pressure, and no discernible difference in point of impact. Unfortunately, this new barrel isn’t shooting anything very well. My other three guns/barrels shot most of what I load well or exceptionally well with the same loads. I’m not saying to just go ahead and do this, I don’t load to max loads to start and I work my way up. Info on the 357max is sketchy at best and the only published loads are for handgun. Rifle loads are suspect and you should check your source before using any load data you’re given. Shooting my .357mags over the years hasn’t shown much difference either. I’m starting to believe that primer data itself is pretty unreliable and inconsistent. I’m not sure it’s the science I once thought it was. I do wish some reputable, reliable source would take all the primer brands and do a study on them to find out scientifically/statstically how much difference if any there really is.

Boolit Grand Master

Double check that 6.0 gr. load of W231/HP-38. The Hodgdon manual I have here shows 5.0 as max for 1109 fps...

Boolit Master

eph-25 takes care of that for me But yes, even my 500 magnum (which requires LRP's) I use LPP's hopped up.

I make my own.
    The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast