Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline Fabrication
WidenersReloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Repackbox

Thread: Oh oh... the slippery slope... I feel a new aspect of a hobby coming on.

Oh oh... the slippery slope... I feel a new aspect of a hobby coming on.

I do a lot of restorations in my shop, projects out of the norm, odd lots and off radar.

When I hit yardsales I no longer cherry pick tool boxes, but just make an offer for the whole thing, cash and throw it in the truck.

My last box had the usual tools and beat up Kershaw Amphibian knife. Thought what the heck, clean that up, put a new handle on that and it will make a dandy little throwing knife, got lots of scrap maple kicking around.

Simple little project and it IS dandy throwing knife!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20220428_163638666_2.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	19.7 KB 
ID:	299587

While I was doing this I was turning an ash walking stick for a friend of mine that is a martial arts master- tweaked and turned to his specs. I started to wonder about a sword cane like they had in the old days. Might be a fun project anyone made something like that? I'd need a blade perhaps 18-24 inches long, maybe a little thicker and narrower than most things out there.... Thought I'd toss that out for input.
    The essence of education is self reliance- T.H. White.

Currently seeking wood carving tools, wood planes, froes, scorps, spokeshaves... etc....

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I have 3 different hobbies - other than guns and reloading. They keep me occupied constantly and no shortage in those venues!

With the ridiculous prices and silly shortage in the casting/reloading venue, others on here should look for entertainment elsewhere and wait until the prices level out (if ever!).

Life abounds beyond the current limited & expensive borders of casting and reloading!

Cool.

Ya need something to keep you out of those crooked BINGO parlors.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

That’s way nicer than Kershaw made it. Well done.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    I have 3 different hobbies - other than guns and reloading. They keep me occupied constantly and no shortage in those venues!

With the ridiculous prices and silly shortage in the casting/reloading venue, others on here should look for entertainment elsewhere and wait until the prices level out (if ever!).

Life abounds beyond the current limited & expensive borders of casting and reloading!
    There is life beyond Reloading and Casting.

Boolit Master
    Sword canes are still being made. I think by Cold Steel. I got mine from Midway maybe 2 or 3 years ago. Still don't know why I need it, but it's kewl.

Boolit Grand Master

An 18 inch triangular blade inside a nice walking stick would be a great project. I can’t wait to see it!
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyd View Post
    There is life beyond Reloading and Casting.
    Inconceivable!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by beezapilot View Post
    I do a lot of restorations in my shop, projects out of the norm, odd lots and off radar.

When I hit yardsales I no longer cherry pick tool boxes, but just make an offer for the whole thing, cash and throw it in the truck.

My last box had the usual tools and beat up Kershaw Amphibian knife. Thought what the heck, clean that up, put a new handle on that and it will make a dandy little throwing knife, got lots of scrap maple kicking around.

Simple little project and it IS dandy throwing knife!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20220428_163638666_2.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	19.7 KB 
ID:	299587

While I was doing this I was turning an ash walking stick for a friend of mine that is a martial arts master- tweaked and turned to his specs. I started to wonder about a sword cane like they had in the old days. Might be a fun project anyone made something like that? I'd need a blade perhaps 18-24 inches long, maybe a little thicker and narrower than most things out there.... Thought I'd toss that out for input.
    I have seriously considered making a sword cane for when I get REALLY, REALLY OLD and need to fight off the floozies at the nursing home.

Possibilities for blade material could be taken from any conventional fencing foil or rapier then modify accordingly. Another possibility would be to simply acquire a well made antique and put it to use.

I recently bought a lot from a wood working shop auction... 24 inch planer blades... hmmmm.....
    The essence of education is self reliance- T.H. White.

Currently seeking wood carving tools, wood planes, froes, scorps, spokeshaves... etc....

Boolit Master
    Just a note on sword canes - they are neat, but be sure to check the legal standing in your state. Seems like there are places where they are actually illegal to own, much less take in public.