Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingRepackboxInline Fabrication
WidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Load Data Titan Reloading

Thread: Astra Constable

Boolit Master

Astra Constable

What is the difference between an Astra Constable and an Astra Constable II? (.380). Are the mags interchangeable?

Boolit Master
    The reason I ask about the mags is because the Constable that I have is failing to feed. I use cast bullets, and I've tried 3 different powders, using low and hot loads. The mag doesn't fit perfectly - it's loose and drops down slightly when in the mag well. I've checked the mag spring and it's in correctly. I bought a replacement mag spring but I haven't tried it yet -it's a little shorter than the one in the gun. Wolff Springs doesn't sell Constable recoil springs but the one in the gun is pretty strong.
    The first round chambers, fires and ejects but the slide pauses on the next round. A little push on the slide and the round chambers.
    I'd like to try a new mag.

Apparently, the magazines are interchangeable - since only "Constable" mags come up when looking for Astra magazines.

I would first try to slightly spread the magazine feed lips, to see if it solves your issue.

If, however, your magazine is toast, a new replacement is available: https://www.gunclips.net/asco380gunma.html

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Might need a new, stronger recoil spring. I've often found that to be the solution when a semi-auto won't go into battery.

DG

Boolit Buddy
    The mags are interchangeable. I haven't tried any CB yet - just running some old .380 Speer HPs that seem to feed well.

Boolit Master
    I'd like to replace the recoil spring, but Wolff doesn't sell them, and I don't want a used factory spring if I can help it. The mag fits very loosely in the well, with side to side and up and down movement. I'm going to add some aluminum tape to the mag to tighten up the fit, and I'll check out the feed lips. I'll also try some factory rounds if I can find some.

A recoil spring intended for the same size Walther (PPK/PPKS) should work. Loose mags aren't good, and I'd replace it.

DG

Boolit Master
    The Constable is a PPK clone so, yeah, it should work. So, the fired case ejects, but the slide pauses, or stalls, before it picks up the next round, which probably means there isn't enough snap in the recoil spring to rebound forward to pick up a round.
    That was a circle process - I think it's the spring.

Exactly. And, if after the first or subsequent shots the slide hangs up and you can push it on forward into battery with just your thumb and not having to exert more than moderate pressure it's almost sure to be the recoil spring. Also, this condition is sometimes caused by just slightly over diameter cast bullets.

What to tell you about your wiggly magazine(s), I can't be certain without seeing it myself. It is possible that the mag is not original equipment, and maybe not an Astra mag; but another that is original factory equipment, or one made by one of the better after market companies may work perfectly. One thing that can make even OE mags wiggly is wear to the slot on the side where the magazine catch locks in, or a worn catch that has become undersize.

DG

Boolit Master
    When the slide stalls, I can push it into battery with a slight effort. Spring...
    There is movement in the catch slot - as you said, either the slot is worn and now too large, or the catch is worn and too small. Or both.
    I'll start with a new recoil spring if I can find one. I haven't had much luck with aftermarket mags (Triple K). If it's not the spring, I'll find a mag.
    I'll recheck the bullet diameter. I did read about that...
    Thanks.

Does it feed with factory fmj ammo?

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Is there any contact between the slide and the mag feed lips when the slide is moving forward? Bent feed lips may rub the underside of the slide and slow it's forward speed.

Boolit Master
    I'll check the feed lips when the slide moves.
    I've been using 95 gr coated cast bullets, sized to .356". Two Lyman books that I have say that a bullet larger than .355" diameter might cause problems. But, the outside diameter of the loaded case is at, or less than, .374", which Lymans says should be fine.
    Would .001" matter that much?
    I have a few rounds of fmj ammo that I'll try tomorrow (stolen from my wife's S&W EZ).

Boolit Master
    Jacketed ammo did not feed. I checked the mag feed lips and there's no contact. I ordered a PPK recoil spring which should fix the problem.