MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline FabricationTitan Reloading
RepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Lee Precision

Thread: True Blue in .357 Mag

Boolit Master

True Blue in .357 Mag

I have either found a load data error, or I have something to learn.
    I have the NOE-358-124-TC (0.565” long boolit) and NOE-360-160-WFN (0.620” long boolit) molds. Both molds will let me size down to 0.358” for a tight fit in my cylinder (Kimber K6S, 3” barrel, DAO, wood grip).
    My first time out with this pistol, I had the NOE-360-160-WFN over 8.0 grains of True Blue with OACL at 1.588”. After 27 rounds I noticed the hard grip hammered my thumb knuckle bringing blood just under my skin, so I returned with 7.5 grains under the boolit and held the gun a bit different.
    My plan now is to do ladders with the load charge, to strengthen my grip and toughen my hand. Part of this includes loading the NOE-358-124-TC (1.530” OACL, slight roll crimp over front driving band). This is where my confusion comes in, because Ramshot’s load data for the Laser Cast 158 grain SWC has a larger charge weight than the Laser Cast 125 grain FP.
    I ran my charges through Gordon’s Reloading Tool, which tells me I can put the heavier charge under the lighter boolit. I noticed that the calculated pressure in GRT for a .45 Colt is half of max SAAMI when I enter published data with published bullets. The max book data for the 158 grain bullet entered into GRT gives the max pressure for .357 Mag. Maybe the GRT algorithm is correct at the higher pressure, or maybe there’s something else going on.
    So is it likely that their is an error in the Ramshot data, or is their a good reason why the heavier bullet has a heavier charge?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	36A717C7-E157-487F-AFDB-D9BA8D6BCE87.jpeg 
Views:	70 
Size:	129.9 KB 
ID:	299564
    Last edited by justindad; 04-27-2022 at 10:47 PM.
    I could be wrong - it happens at least daily.

Boolit Master
    I would contact whoever makes Ramshot and ask that question(s).
    R.D.M.

Boolit Master
    I called Ramshot. The tech said the 125 grain data is the one he questions as being wrong, since the 158 grain loads data closely matches the 158 grain Hornady XTP data. The lab will give it a look to see if a manual update is needed, but for now there’s no indication that I’m flirting with the red zone.

Boolit Master
    ive used 7g true blur with 158g lead boolits and 8.5g true blue with gas checked boolits in my 357mag winchester trapper worked well ,meters well and clean burning.ramshot load data is on line.