Inline FabricationRepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee Precision
Load Data RotoMetals2

Thread: Lyman Freedom Arms mold

Boolit Buddy

Lyman Freedom Arms mold

I have a Lyman 454629AW mold stamped Freedom Arms. Can anyone tell me the reason it is so stamped?
    THANKS

Boolit Master
    I think Lyman would stamp its moulds with another company’s name if a certain design was an accessory to that company’s product line. There would probably have been a minimum order involved.

I have a Lyman/Ideal mould stamped “HARVEY,” that’s for the Prot-X-Bore boolit with the zinc washer in the base. Jim Harvey/Lakeville Arms sold the moulds and zinc washers to shooters wishing to cast their own.

The 454629 might be a boolit specially designed for something like the .454 Casull, which Freedom Arms makes revolvers for.

Boolit Buddy
    My response is based on conversations I had with Freedom Arms a few months ago.
    The man responsible for the 454 Casull, Dick Casull had a soft spot for cast bullets. Lyman produced the molds that Dick was experimenting with. When all the testing was done their were two different molds produced. This statement is based on a casual conversation I had with a FA employee. I do not know if or how many molds were made available to the public. I would like to have one or both to play with for my FA-454.
    Tony

Boolit Master

From what I understand, that mold was an asset ory for FA. It might even be .454. The current 452629 has been undersized on both copies I have received. The last one exchanged for is misaligned on one of the two cavities. Their quality has turned me off to new Lyman molds. For the cost and PIA of returning two undersized molds and time, I could have had NOE or Accurate make the mold.

The ones produced for FA though are GTG.

Boolit Buddy
    I've been accumulating moulds for a good while and even though I don't have an FA revolver or even a 454, I have managed to acquire 3 different moulds that have those markings, along the way. 454628 255 Gr FNGC / 454629 300 Gr FNGC / 454647 285 Gr TRNGC - all are DC versions and probably date to the 90s? I found one and thought it would be good to use in a Ruger 45 Colt, while looking into the mould and loading info, I found the second version. Did some research and found that the 3rd version was made and lucked into it on EB a year or so later. Sadly, I have yet to cast with any of them, as I've spent a lot of time on my 41's and the 44, that I use regularly. I once called Lyman CS on them and the rep said they never had made them!!? News to me as I was looking at all 3, 2 in original Lyman boxes and I was just inquiring about the proper top punch for the 3rd! Eventually I found I pic on-line of the one missing the box and it showed the end label. All 3 actually use the # 424 top punch - if you're use a Lyman or RCBS sizer. Hope that helps a bit - Bill in MA

Boolit Master

From what I understand, that mold was an asset ory for FA. It might even be .454. The current 452629 has been undersized on both copies I have received. The last one exchanged for is misaligned on one of the two cavities. Their quality has turned me off to new Lyman molds. For the cost and PIA of returning two undersized molds and time, I could have had NOE or Accurate make the mold.

The ones produced for FA though are GTG from what I've heard.
    Last edited by Greg S; 04-29-2022 at 12:24 AM.

Boolit Master

I've read that the Lyman 454629 and 454628 were designed by Dick Casull for use in the 454 Casull. I have 2 of the 454629's and I'm still looking for the 454628. Google Wayne Baker and Dick Casull for information on Freedom Arms.
    Last edited by boatswainsmate; 04-29-2022 at 09:13 AM.