Inline FabricationRepackboxReloading EverythingWideners
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mild 240 grain .44 Magnum loads?

Boolit Buddy

Mild 240 grain .44 Magnum loads?

Hello,

I am considering getting a Redhawk .44 Magnum. Probably a 4.2 Barrel version. Shorter barrel revolvers balance better for me. If I want rip snorting full power loads I will use factory JSP or JHP rounds. I will use those sparingly since I am not keen on beating myself up too much.

I am looking to have 2 or 3 cast boolit and 1 plated pill load(s) in the 950-1100 fps range. Enjoyable range loads that let me know I am shooting a big bore revolver but nothing too punishing. Something more than my .44 Special loadings. I have a dedicated .44 Special revolver that uses and is sighted in for 210-220 grain loadings. I intend to use all loads featuring 240 grain boolits in .44 magnum brass so nothing gets confused with my .44 special loads.

Any .44 Magnum load recommendations for a 240 grain boolit at 950-1100 fps?

Thanks,
    Divil

You can try 7.5 - 8.0gr. Unique with CB's of that weight. I use those charges with both Lyman and RCBS Keith CB's in my Ruger SBH, but with a 10.5" bbl. and they are quite comfortable with the factory grips.

8 grains of WW231 (aka HP-38) has worked great for me for 40 years...my favorite wandering around load in 4" M629...

I use Win 231/HP38 and Universal for my lighter .44mags.

Boolit Master
    +1 for Unique 7.5 gr. Also really like Red Dot/Promo 6.0 gr. under a 200 gr. ~ 250 gr. boolit in a 44 Mag case.
    COME AND TAKE IT
    Let’s Go Brandon!!!!

Boolit Buddy
    9.5 grains of Longshot under a 240 lswc @ 1.61" gives about 1020 fps in my 4" 29-2 with great accuracy. Same bullet over 9.2 gr. of Shooter's World Ultimate Pistol gives about 1050 fps with one ragged hole at 20 yards.

6.0 to 6.5 of red dot or promo with a 240-250 grain boolit.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    10.5-11 grains be-86 ive found works real well for a mild load.
    but as others have stated above there are lots of options for such a load

Boolit Master

Trailboss will get you 830-917
    Titegroup will get you 800-1280

I load both under a lrn or a lswc 240 grn. the trailboss is more a pleasure to shoot.. but a mid load of titegroup puts you right in the middle of where you want to be.. just a bit snappier..

Boolit Master
    I normally shoot 44 Special loads in my Ruger BH which is chambered for 44 Special - 240 grain swc over 6.8 grains of Unique. But my Rossi 92 will not feed 44 Specials; so for 44 Magnum I upped it by @10% and in the 16' Rossi 240 grain home cast Lee .430 240 sits over 7 grains of Unique, 44 Magnum case, and it runs about 1050 fps in the Rossi. Nice, accurate, and pleasant to shoot.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Boolit Master
    FWIW...
    I shoot a lot of mid range .44Magnum loads through several revolvers and a Marlin lever action rifle.
    I find that 10.0 grs of Unique with a commercial cast coated 240gr LSWC is an accurate load for general purpose/target/plinking at steel plates and targets of opportunity like tin cans, plastic bottles, etc.
    That load has some authority on the receiving end but does not bother my 67 year old wrist, yet lets me experience the power of a big bore revolver. I can shoot as many rounds as I wish without any pain in my hands or wrists...typically about 20 rounds each out of five different revolvers and a couple dozen or so out of my lever action rifle on any given range trip.

Boolit Grand Master

Out of my 4" Anaconda 8.5 gr Unique under a 240 gr commercial cast or the Lee 429-240-SWC runs 815 and 830 fps. It is a very pleasant load to shoot besides being quite accurate.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Cross-Posted by Permission from The Fouling Shot

Tales from the Back Creek Diary - Bullseye Powder .44 Magnum “Medium” Velocity Loads

Soft, plain based, bullets and fast-burning powders provide economy and utility.

A firearm does not need to be operated at “full power” any more than any other machine. It is true that some people still believe that if you own a .44 Magnum and reload for it, you must be able to feel the heat on your face every time you pull the trigger, as your hand stings and your ears ring. But this is nonsense, of course. Less power loads are fine for recreation and most field shooting. They indeed have their place. My friends and I probably shoot 100 rounds of “medium velocity” loads for every dinosaur killer. Few reloading manuals list loads for the .44 Magnum other than hand busters. Experienced reloaders successfully improvise, but less intrepid, practical shooters are frustrated.

The so-called “medium velocity” load is subsonic when fired in from a typical revolver. It also does not exceed the leading threshold of about 1300-1400 fps., when a soft, plain-based bullet is fired from a rifle. Remington offered marketed exactly such a .44 Magnum load for a short time during the early to mid 1980s. It was intended for the police market, as a counterpart in .44 Magnum, to the similar lead bullet .41 Magnum police load, which has also, unfortunately been discontinued.

Remington’s .44 Magnum Medium Velocity load offering used a flat-nosed, 240-grain, plain- based, swaged lead bullet with two cannelures, resembling an elongated .44-40 slug. Its shape mimicked today’s “Cowboy Loads” having a catalog velocity of 1000 f.p.s. from a 4-inch vented test barrel, simulating revolver conditions.

These ballistics approximate those of the original 1873 black powder .45 Colt service cartridge, when fired from a 7-1/2 inch barrel. This is hardly today’s “mouse-fart” cowboy load, but stout stuff like they used to kill buffalo and shoot Indians. For today’s hand loader the greatest economy is realized by being able to exploit plain-based cast bullets, using the least expensive, soft scrap alloy, such as wheel weights or common scrap, with faster-burning pistol or shotgun powders which provide twice as many rounds per pound, as the slow-burners normally used for full power .44 Magnum loads.

Lyman’s Cast Bullet Handbook, 4th Edition lists .44 Magnum charges with using fast-burning powders, but their starting loads, while useful in revolvers, often exceed the leading threshold of plain based bullets, when fired in a rifle. Newer powders such as Titegroup or Trail Boss are listed, but my favorite, Bullseye was not. Be careful in reducing slower burners, such as #2400, because ballistic uniformity is impaired if you go below about 16 grains in the .44 Magnum case with 240-gr. bullet.

What follows is my listing of loads which “work” and are well proven. I hope this shortens your learning curve and that they work as well for you as they do for me.

Medium Velocity Loads for .44 Mag., 265-gr. Saeco #441, BHN11, unsized .433”, LLA

Case, Primer and________Velocity____Velocity_____Five, 5-shot Groups* @ 50 yds. H&R
    Charge Weight________5-1/2” RBH___H&R 22”*____Largest___Smallest__Average

Starline .44 SPECIAL - WLP

5.2Bullseye, RCBS LD#10__782, 10Sd___940, 9 Sd_____3.0______1.9____2.46

Remington .44 Mag. WLP

6.0 Bullseye, LD#11______774, 36Sd____983, 49Sd____2.5______1.9____2.24
    6.6 Bullseye, LD#12______948, 13Sd____1141, 9Sd____2.5______1.4____1.94
    7.8 Bullseye, LD#14_____1017, 11Sd____1233, 10Sd___2.5______1.2____1.88

Remington .44 Mag. WLP, Remington 240-gr. Semi-Jacketed HP

8.4 Bullseye, LD#15_____1033, 11Sd____1197, 15Sd___2.2______1.2____1.76
    Last edited by Outpost75; 04-28-2022 at 01:21 PM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Out of my 4" Anaconda 8.5 gr Unique under a 240 gr commercial cast or the Lee 429-240-SWC runs 815 and 830 fps. It is a very pleasant load to shoot besides being quite accurate.
    That is a very good example of why a chronograph is as handy as a pocket on a shirt.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Boolit Buddy

Thanks for the input guys. Seems I need to reserve my Unique for the .44 Magnum. Ditto for the limited amount of Trailboss. Wish I still had Universal, that stuff has totally vanished locally.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Divil View Post
    Thanks for the input guys. Seems I need to reserve my Unique for the .44 Magnum. Ditto for the limited amount of Trailboss. Wish I still had Universal, that stuff has totally vanished locally.
    Would love to find more Unique . I agree with all the above and have shot many 240 swc over 8, 9, and 10 grains.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    I haven't used Bullseye with 240 grain bullets but I probably will when I run out of Unique .

Currently I use from 8.5 to 9.0 grains of Unique for lead and ten grains for a jacketed bullets .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

unique
    w231
    universal
    CFE-p
    HS-6

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC

Moderator Emeritus

6.5 gr Red Dot works here and Red Dot works in almost anything.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Buddy
    I find that IMR 4227 gives me plenty of umpf, but seems softer shooting than say H110.
    Maybe I like it just because I bought 8lbs cheap a few years ago.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast