Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky

Thread: A Self Defense Nugget

Boolit Master

A Self Defense Nugget

I’ll be thinking about this more, but at first glance it seems right. Found in another thread I don’t want to raise from the dead, but decided was worth sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by GabbyM View Post
    I've killed a couple animals with a 357 Magnum. Only issue I had was after euthanizing a friends German Shepard, yes a dirty bit of work. I had blood all over my jeans. I mean soaked. When I got home I stripped pants off. Tossed them on the garage floor. Next morning I awoke to the screams of my young wife. She had gone out into the garage. Seeing the jeans in a pile with blood puddled under and the smell starting. Revolver on the work bench. She thought I'd murdered someone. Poor girl was in a full blown anxiety panic attack. The muzzle flash had also totally blinded me to the point of seeing stars for a bit. Due to the fact I'd walked out into a corn field in total darkness and my eyes were night adjusted before the shot.

That gas checked BHN #9 bullet I posted earlier in this thread will expand just fine. Even without a hollow point. You just need to hit your target.

This whole idea of man stopper is a bit ridicules anyway. A man stops when he is dead. I've sat and listened to many war stories of WWII and Vietnam Vets of what it took to take down a man coming at them with a machete. One fellow Told of walking drag on road clearing in VN I Corps. Heard a twig snap, turned around and unloaded a full 20 round M16 clip across the man. He hit the mud road rutted with deuce and a half tracks. His lower body rolled into one rut and his upper body rolled into the other. Then he tried to throw his machete. Which bounced of our GI's boot. That NVA was a good soldier. Now the issue is. revolvers or 1911's don't hold 20 rounds.

Way I was taught to put a charging man down with a 1911 by some pretty savvy old salts when I was fifteen years old in 1970 and we thought I'd be taking my turn at VN. Turned out I didn't , thanks be to God. Routine is very simple and to the point. Two double taps and a head shot. Now remember back in 1970 no one used the term double tap or any other such term such as tactical gear. But whatever. Assumption was your pistol was at rest. Sine you are the one being ambushed not the other way around. Bring your pistol up on your right of the target. Swinging shotgun style up through the vertical line of the attackers right leg. When you get to the pelvis leg joint fire two shots. Recover from recoil bringing pistol back to your left. Look at heat lung area and take two shots. Then recover and take aim with sights and put one in the brain. what you just did is this. instinct shot pelvis leg joint and gut. Breaking down major bones should stop his forward movement. Not to mention inflicting extreme pain. Second shot to the gut is just in case you die before you finish. 3rd and 4th shots are the kill shots. 5th shot is to finish the job. Now remember these men teaching me this fought Japanese and Koreans who would have bombs strapped on and or grenades with pins light and stung together with shortened fuses. In WWII we stopped taking prisoners of men on the attack. Next thing they taught was run or die. Which was one more reason for the head shot. You are not an LEO making an arrest . This was military training. After you get that head shot in it's done. This day and age with IS nut bags just figure they have a bomb vest on a timer. Or stupid crack head criminals that have all manner of infections. Some of which go air born with blood spray. I do crime scene cleanup and it's pure scary what LEO and Fireman expose themselves to because they don't know better.

Summation is simple. Just like if you want to put down a deer hard. Bust a bone. CNS and all that stuff. Humans are just two legged critters. This center mass shooting BS is not a thing I adhere to or approve of. It's sort of common corps firearms training.
    I could be wrong - it happens at least daily.

Boolit Master
    I’m not saying it’s wrong or made up, but I have to wonder about the stories allegedly told by combat vets.

I’d be just a few years younger than the person who posted it. Virtually every male authority figure I knew growing up (including my dad) was a WWII Vet. For some reason, nearly all of the Vets in my orbit had been marines, and most had undoubtedly been involved in some very bloody combat.

Know how you could spot the true combat vets? They didn’t talk about it.

Funny stories? You bet. Occasional descriptions of horrible scenes? Yep.

But descriptions of actual combat they’d witnessed or participated in? Nope.

This included my FIL, a retired top kick of the 101st AB who served in WWII, Korea, and Vietnam (he retired when they tried to deploy him for a third tour.)

He spent the last seven years of his life under my roof. Me being a military history buff, I was anxious to hear his experiences, but he was mum on combat and sparse on any stories at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtarm View Post
    I’m not saying it’s wrong or made up, but I have to wonder about the stories allegedly told by combat vets.

I’d be just a few years younger than the person who posted it. Virtually every male authority figure I knew growing up (including my dad) was a WWII Vet. For some reason, nearly all of the Vets in my orbit had been marines, and most had undoubtedly been involved in some very bloody combat.

Know how you could spot the true combat vets? They didn’t talk about it.

Funny stories? You bet. Occasional descriptions of horrible scenes? Yep.

But descriptions of actual combat they’d witnessed or participated in? Nope.

This included my FIL, a retired top kick of the 101st AB who served in WWII, Korea, and Vietnam (he retired when they tried to deploy him for a third tour.)

He spent the last seven years of his life under my roof. Me being a military history buff, I was anxious to hear his experiences, but he was mum on combat and sparse on any stories at all.
    This has been my experience as well. Most combat vets don't want to talk about it.
    Most good LEOs don't want to talk about their on-the-job shootings either. I really don't want any part of the ones who want to brag about it.
    Seems to be the wrong attitude.
    My father was in Austria and Germany during WWII and spent a lot of time on or very near the front lines, such as they were, during the last several months of the war.
    Getting him to talk about any of it was like pulling teeth.

Moderator Emeritus

I was born in '60 so registered for Selective Service at 18 but Nam ended four years earlier. I was working at a nut and bolt manufacturer/warehouse while going to college. Quiet guy who worked there and I ended up talking in a bar one night. He got drunk, bit more than I did. He started talking about his tour and some of what happened. A lot was disjointed but scary stuff. Easy to see how guys got screwed up mentally. Hats off to you guys/gals that served.